Help

Special Education

1st year teacher SPED Pre-K Self contained half day

>

BelleECE

1st year teacher SPED Pre-K Self contained half day
Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for tips, advice, and ideas for writing IEP plans, class schedule, behavior management...and basically everything! I know I will be using Creative Curriculum but have yet to really get to know what that means for me in my classroom. Help!

BelleECE is offline   Reply With Quote

redmonkey

Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My number one tip= organization is key!
I would create some type of spreadsheet that lists student name, date of birth, disability, parent contact info, IEP due date, reevaluation date, etc. This will help you see at a glance when IEPs are due. Also it will contain information needed on the IEP. I spent a lot of time my first year looking up student birth-dates and actual program codes.

I would also suggest a binder that contains any forms you will use frequently. I had to print different forms to turn in on kids so having a stack preprinted saves me time.

Each student should have a folder where you keep assessments and data. This will help you when writing IEPs to plan goals. Also this is great evidence for parent meetings.

When scheduling IEP meetings I always write in my calendar the actual date the review is due and then I send home notice for a meeting date that is 1 week before the due date. That way if parents don't show I can wait 7 days and then have the second meeting. In my district if they don't show you must reschedule once for a week later and then at that meeting you can proceed without them. So in my calendar I actually write "Send home notice for ____)".
Hope this helps!
redmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote