Help

Substitute Teachers

Just curious

>

Southern Sub

Just curious
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

From the threads I've read on this discussion board, I gather that most of you members are in the northern states. Most of you have to be certified to be a sub. Am I wrong about this? I would like to hear from members both in the north, and also in the south.

In my district, the only requirement for subbing is 31 college hrs. I'm curious if it is required to be certified if the pay is more than those who only have college hrs. but are not certified.

Where I live in Texas, the pay starts @ $75. a day and after 30 days, $85, after 90 days, $95. and $10. extra on Fri. How does that compare to other states?

Thanks for responses,
Hope everyone has a great upcoming yr.!
SS

Southern Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mystery2020

Mystery2020

Wrong!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Each school system and state makes its own rules about education level for subs. My rural area school system is 55 dollars a day - no benefits, can't use the computers, can't take workshops. No raise in 20 years either. It doesn't matter how much you sub or how many years the pay is the same. We pay for our own CBC and sub licensing or teaching license and renewal courses (which cost a lot of money!). I should have saved 40 thousand dollars and worked my way up to management in retail instead because it pays more money. I love teaching, but there are no jobs and sub pay and treatment is dismal. Subs can't teach anyway. We are told not to be babysitters, but the reality is that we are almost like prison guards without the pay or benefits.
Woolie

Woolie

Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I sub in a suburb of Pittsburgh. I have full certification to teach Social Studies as well as my Librarian's cert. I make the top pay for subs in my district, which is $95 per day. I know you can get "emergency" certification, but it only lasts for 3 years and cannot be renewed. All of my sub buddies are fully certified.

Mercury

Northeast Ohio
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the school district I work for you have to have a college degree. After hiring you get certified as a substitute teacher, you can either pay for a 1-year cert or a 5-year cert from the state. Starting pay is $125 a day, $138 a day for long-term assignments. Pay increase after your 3rd year. Starting pay is also higher for those with Master's degrees and retired teachers, I think they start out at $138 a day.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

OneOldGoat

Washington State
Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it's district by district here. But the district my kids go to and a neighboring district will hire "emergency" subs that aren't certified. I don't know what the criteria is, other than some college.

they usually sub for paras or admins. All the subs I personally know who sub for teachers are certified.

OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Nevada subs
Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

need to have 60 college units or an AA degree. You then have 3 years to take PRAXIS I, U.S. and NV constitution tests and a couple of other hoops.

My Northern Nevada district pays all subs the same rate $82/day regardless of qualifications--they cut our pay by $3 last year. A neighboring district pays $90.

We get $8/day more after 90 days, $16/day after working 120 days (I think they mean an extra $8, not an extra $16 bump)

Long term subs got a $15 increase after 20 days, 90 days, and 120 days.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

California requires...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A Bachelor's Degree and passing scores on the CBEST.

The amount paid varies by school district. In my area, the sub rate varies from $100-125 per day. Long-term subs make more, but they often have to be in the assignment for a few weeks before the pay increases.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

In NYC...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Uncertified subs must complete assessment and training components at their own expense and have to be "nominated" by a principal. If they are not in the process of getting teacher certification, they are limited to working 40 days per year. Certified teachers have to be nominated by a principal and must pay for fingerprinting. No benefits are given to subs. A day's pay is $154.97. If a sub works as a long term sub and does 30 straight days in a row in the same classroom, they are entitled to something called "Z" status which is approximately another $50 or more per day.

Last edited by Smilingsub; 08-11-2012 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: wrong verb tense
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Indiana
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Each school district makes their own requirements. The state requires only a high school diploma. (I just found this out - wow! Just HS!!!)

Of the two districts I subbed in, one paid $70 a day and one paid $75 a day. Both pays were for everyone, regardless of education or how many years you'd been subbing.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Iowa
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My state requires a teacher certification to sub all levels and a college degree to sub high school only.

My district pays a percentage of the base salary for teachers, so each year I tend to get a raise. Right now I am making $101 a day.

neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-11-2012, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm in rural eastern Kentucky. Subs here need a minimum of 60 college credits. I was a sub 20 years ago, and I had a BA in secondary English. I made $50 a day.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

California also...
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Bachelors degree and passage of the CBEST. Pay in my main district ranges from 97.50 to 158.50. We are paid more for Title One and SIG school. I don't do much long term due to the face that the pay differential does not make it worth the extra work and hassle, I am also picking up another part-time job at my daughter's high school this year.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

2strike

Michigan
Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Michigan will give a sub permit ($ 45. and renewable annually) for uncertified subs with at least 90 credits. Many districts will hire only certified subs. My district pays $ 84 per day. In the last few years, many districts have stopped hiring subs directly. We are now employees of a third party agency. It's all really a bunch of legal fiction ... the job postings still come through Aesop from the districts. The local districts still set the hours and determine the pay rates. Every aspect of our day-to-day work is handled by the districts. Our pay is routed through the third party, so we are their "employees". The districts save a bundle on benefit costs.
2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

Sub Requirements
Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

In Oregon, you have to be a licensed teacher to sub, with the exception of special subjects in charter schools (subjects that don't have a endorsement test like a foreign language).

Our pay varies, but in the Willamette Valley the pay is $162.24 per day. I think it goes up by $10 per day if it's a long term job. I also believe that subbing in the larger metro areas like Portland pay more.

Of course, most charter schools only pay ~$120 per day.
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

lalasim

Maryland
Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

In my school district which is the biggest district in the state, all subs need at least a bachelor's degree and payment goes from $119-125 per day(the maximum amount is for certified teachers), long-term goes $168-175. After three months in same assigment payment becomes $185-190 per day.
lalasim is offline   Reply With Quote

MSDDecaturSub

Indiana
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

In response to you thread posting.

Per Indiana guidelines you must have at least 60 college credit hours to qualify for a state substitute teachers license. Additionally, the district I work for pays 85.00 a day for assignments. I'm in my third year subbing for the district and I must say they keep us busy at all times.
MSDDecaturSub is offline   Reply With Quote