Help

Substitute Teachers

analyze sub teaching

>

subczy

analyze sub teaching
Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So in my college class I have to analyze why or why not substitute teaching is a profession as opposed to a job. lol I have done it and it makes me wonder why I even sub!

just thought it was interesting - we had to do our current job or I would have picked something a littl eless obvious lol

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

In my area...
Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

it pays better than retail with no nights or weekends.I am lucky to be able to say no when I don't want the assignment.

Last edited by momandsub; 09-02-2012 at 10:20 PM..
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote
sickoffern

sickoffern

Old 09-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's a job. How can it be a career? You can't a promotion. There's no raises and steps in subbing. It's a job. One where most subs aren't treated well. Most of the time, day to day jobs, you'll be babysitting because the students will act up and most of the time the regular teacher leaves nothing.

Vlad

I wouldn't be doing anything else
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I absolutely love my line of work and am so grateful for it. This will be my 3rd year of subbing.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

I loved substitute teaching
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

but it's not a career.

No benefits. No guaranteed days to work. No pay raises. And around here pay that's not realistic to live on.

Nope, it's a job and not a career.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

I guess it depends
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I guess it depends on the person. I consider myself a professional substitute, but it's just a stepping stone to my future career. Some people like subbing and have chosen to make that their 'career'.
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

It's not a profession
Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Its more like a babysitting job and you are not learning anything new for yourself. Your basically acting like a referee except you don't have a whistle.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote
GuideTheYouth

GuideTheYouth

Old 09-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Everything is a job, including being a mother, spouse, cabdriver, garbage collector, or teacher. What makes a job your chosen profession (something you're willing to master) is your attitude.
GuideTheYouth

GuideTheYouth

Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Beethechange, every day you live, you learn something new. Even daycare workers and childcare providers (who you referred to as "babysitters") must become certified and get a license to care for children. Every job requires a skill and skills can be mastered. Besides, I don't think any job is so insignficant or so unimportant that it should be described as something that won't teach anyone anything new. Even an infant who comes into this world not knowing a thing learns something, so why wouldn't a sub learn anything doing what he or she does? That's a terrible way to describe a sub. I almost thought that you were joking.

subczy

thanks all
Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks all. I have specific things in which to evaluate a job vs. A profession. Sub is for sure a job although it feels like more when you are in it.

MikeRocode

It's not a career...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

"...substitute teaching is a profession as opposed to a job"

It's a part time job. At a MAX of less than $20K/yr , no retirement, and no benefits, you can't support a family let alone yourself without a second (third?) source of income.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

I agree
Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

..but I do have a whistle
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

actually
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

the criteria are:

minimum bachelors degree but usually higher
Licensure or professional organization as required part of credentials
atonomy
Importance service to society.

Subs did fall some in pro category but b/c not all states require a bachelors degree, or a degree at all overall subs do not. we also do not have to have licensure or be a member of a pro organization, we for SURE do not have atonomy (set our own schedules or make decisions) and face it, we may not like it, but we are not THAT important to society although as I said before - it sure feel like we are

Jack Smith

Teaching is a great profession.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Teaching is a great profession and full of opportunities. Its the most intresting part is it gives a chance to monitor the capabilities of human beings to learn and innovate anything.
Now teaching becomes a respectable profession and it has expanded its reach beyond boundaries through virtuall classroom sessions.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

What are you talking about jack?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Being a teacher is a great profession. the point of my OP was that i was asked to evaluate if substitute teaching is considered a j-o-b or a true profession such as a licensed teacher, a doctor, a laywer, a cpa and so forth. but thanks anyway!

longtimesub

It is a just a part-time job.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have to agree with those who view the sub work as just a part-time job...Sub work could be seen as a deadend job. It does not matter if you were working as a sub teacher for over five years...You will be paid same as someone who just became a sub teacher after graduating from college...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I think the district's attitude has a lot to do with whether subbing is a job or a profession. I definitely understand a lot of people's saying it's just a job, and most of you are probably treated that way, unfortunately.

My district, though, does a pretty good job of treating subs as professionals. They pay pretty well, for starters. You also pretty much have to be a certified teacher, and they do try to put subs into their areas of certification. (There's a subbing-only certificate offered by the state, but for one thing it still requires completion of a teaching ed program, and for another people with subbing-only certs are at the bottom of the list for picking up jobs and probably don't work much.)

My district also offers health insurance for the following school year to any sub who worked 70+ days the previous year. I pay $38/month (just me; it'd be a lot more for a family) and have $5 co-pays for pretty much everything, and that even includes dental and vision!

We also have access to some (not all) of the PD offered to teachers, and the occasional PD aimed specifically at subs.

So my point is, I guess, that a district really can choose whether they want professional subs, or just-a-job subs, if they're willing to make the investment.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

MikeRocode...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

don't you pay into STRS as a sub? Just curious, because I do.

I don't see it as a career, but right now I don't want to teach full-time. I have had opportunities and substitute teaching just fits into my life better at the moment.

I do pay into my retirement while substitute teaching and add time to my service credit, so I am investing in my future - not as much as teaching full-time, but I am adding to my retirement as a sub.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Mystery2020

Mystery2020

It depends -
Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

on the school system. Here the pay is 55 dollars a day which is federal minimum wage. No benefits and often treated like garbage by the faculty and administrators. We can't take in- service classes either to update our teaching licensing. A portion of our checks goes into retirement, but it is worthless because our pay is so low. I would rather have the money now. There are good days occasionally with students. I am looking for another job because retail or factory work pays more and has benefits. And yes I have a state teaching license! Most of the time I don't know which is worse - the contract teachers attitudes or the students. This school system has a ton of problems with the federal government too and is under close supervision. Obviously the federal and state government is not looking at the issues of why subs are paid so poorly and treated so poorly. The contract teachers are under a lot of pressure for performance issues and call off a lot. They also use the substitutes as scapegoats to blame and keep the attention off of themselves. I am sure from reading this board that in some school systems subs are treated as professionals.

MikeRocode

Strs
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

"...don't you pay into STRS as a sub?"

No and I don't see the benefits of doing so.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

I do see a benefit of paying into STRS
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

because I taught full-time and eventually will teach full-time again. At least I'm adding a little bit to my retirement and adding years of service credit. It may take more than twice as long, depending on the number of days I sub, but I've been able to add nearly two years of service credit by subbing. That's two less years I'll have to work full-time before retiring. I see it as a benefit.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote