Substitute Teachers

Jobulator is a mean scheme

>

Guest in Cal

Guest in Cal

Jobulator is a mean scheme
Old 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district switched to Frontline (Aesop) and that means subs are "invited" by another Frontline business, Jobulator. It's a protection racket-- if you don't pay, you won't get any job offers. . . .

(I'm using .... to denote new paragraph since Proteacher doesn't like clear composition). . . . .

I did manage to find out that if a sub turns down a job there is a 90-minute penalty before any other job offer reaches them. My jobs went down this year compared to last, and then in the new year they went down again. . . . .

Virtue is not its own reward; most teachers like how I interact with their students and I have been requested. But now it's apparently harder for teachers to request a teacher. . . . .

I am too old for tying shoelaces all day in Kindergarten, and a day in severely handicapped special ed is just too boring. But the system seems incapable of having preferences included. . . . .

How ironic that two of Frontline's "core values" (out of 10) are:
* Provide outstanding customer service.
* Deal respectfully with those outside the company. . . . .

A fellow sub told me he will be looking for other work. I have many skills but only teaching would bring in the paycheck that I need. I'll bet if I put my name and city I'd be blocked for any jobs by Jobulator! . . . .

This might be more fair for the newest subs in the district, which is good. But the way they keep all info from us about the system is downright vicious. It's Divide and Conquer. We are just cogs in a machine.

mrsd5

Jobulator
Old 03-07-2017, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Best $50 a year I spend. Another sub told me about it. Now, nearly 1 1/2 years after subbing, over half of my jobs are by request. But I renewed Jobulator. I could work every day, but as a retired teacher, I am limited to 500 hours or about 90 days a year in my state or risk losing my retirement.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

told you so
Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

See?! I knew I'm not the only one that sees through this racket. Pay to work?! We call that income tax and this is not legit.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I won't pay the fee either, on principle. It seems like a scam to me also and I will not pay for the opportunity to sign up for jobs.

That said, I understand that I'm extremely fortunate in that I've been doing this for a long time so my jobs are procured by teachers texting or e-mailing me. I only get on AESOP to check if I'm booked on a particular day. I suppose if this was not the case, I would be stuck paying to see jobs.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

I resent it.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Jobulator is Hunger Games for subs. It's a pay to play scheme that pits subs against each other in competition for jobs, and it would be illegal except that it's not mandatory. Subs are already the lowest and most poorly paid employees on the totem pole in a school district. Asking us to pay to compete for jobs adds insult to injury. Some people seem to think it's worth it. On principle, I don't.

Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

The way I look at Jobulator
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It frees me up. I don't have time to sit at the computer and keep refreshing. For me it wasn't about grabbing jobs as fast as they appear. For me, it was about freedom. I'm not tethered to my computer. Once you get your name out there, you can be added as a preferred sub so that you get notifications ahead of everybody. Or teachers can assign you so that you just have to acknowledge. At this point, I get most of my jobs that way. But I still used Jobulator to pick up a job here and there. Maybe I will drop it next year, but for now it keeps me off the computer 24/7.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is that 90 minute penalty only if you actually reject the job? Can you just not accept it and keep looking?

I also refuse to pay for Jobulator...right now. If the time comes that I don't have the number of jobs I need, I may consider it. To be polite, it stinks to set up a computerized sub system and then tell the subs - oh and if you pay us we'll give you an advantage over all those other subs. It only exists for financial greed. Why not leave it alone and everyone will have equal access to the jobs...grrrr.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

90 minute penalty?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've never heard of a 90 minute penalty. I have rejected jobs plenty of times and never had any kind of penalty.

I've also never had Jobulator and never had a day without work if I've wanted it. I refresh the page every once in a while on my phone, while I'm watching tv, reading, on other sites... whenever.. takes a few seconds.
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 03-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here it has become almost a necessity---teachers can't request a specific sub if it is just a one day thing (ie get the sub coordinator to put it in for them). They can attempt to play the refresh game where the teacher puts it in and the sub refreshes the site and tries to get the job, but the chance of that working is fairly low unless it is the sort of job most subs don't touch (spec ed, preschool etc)

Even with Jobulator, it is hard to get the jobs sometimes. I hear the notification, swipe down to open the app and click accept, but about 30% of the time I get the "I'm sorry, the job has already been filled" message.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 03-08-2017, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use Sub Assistant and there is no penalty for rejecting an assignment (this could be a district setting). I agree it stinks to pay $8/month, but as long as my phone is nearby I get a notification and usually get the jobs I want.

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

LilyBart

Agree
Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It is appalling. The district told me subscribing to Aesop is very expensive, then they use the platform basically to extort US! Like we can afford it. They are using a public platform paid for with public money to basically force us into subscribing to a "service" to get jobs. I think there is a legal and ethical question here. It doesn't seem legal to use district money to then force us to subscribe...It is a scam and the best we can all do is boycott it. Wish SmartFind was better but it's not.
LilyBart is offline   Reply With Quote