Help

Substitute Teachers

Limited days allowed to sub

>

Cetti

Limited days allowed to sub
Old 03-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am certified in FL and currently live in NY and have been rejected for certification 3 times (that's another post) so I am considered uncertified.
In NY, subs are only allowed to sub 40 days in each district per SY if they are uncertified.
I currently sub in 3 districts and am approaching 40 days in my fave district. They are short on subs on a daily basis (sometimes 10 or more in 1 building!). When this happens, teachers and subs lose preps and/or aides/monitors/paras cover classes (which is illegal).
I am wondering if AESOP counts this. Will they will notify me when I reach my limit? I have heard that they can get waivers from the state if they are short on subs. Anyone have any knowledge/experience with what happens when I hit my limit?

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If they feel you are qualified to work for 40 days, why not more? Simply because you don't have that piece of paper that says you're certified? I understand there are rules but it seems silly to say you can work 40 days even if you are not certified, but not more. What is the basis for being rejected? Do you have to pass a test? Sorry if that's a personal question.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 03-09-2017, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a really weird limit---here if we are non-certified, we can't sub in the same class for more than 10 days straight. That limit I understand as normally by that point the teacher is going to be out long enough that they need to hire a long-term replacement.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you!
Especially bc I can work more than 40 days as a Sub, but in seperate districts.
I started with them last Feb so I didnt reach the limit last SY, but this year I have made good relationships with students and staff and it seems to me a disservice to have new Subs all the time, rather than sticking with ones that are reliable and liked.
To answer your (not personal) question: I passed the PRAXIS, but NY has their own State Tests for certification that I haven't taken. I also didn't have to do the edTPA which is required in NY when I did my student teaching 15 years ago.
Thanks for listening!
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote