Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing for Reading Intervention?

>

RockstarSub13

Subbing for Reading Intervention?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just started substitute teaching and joined the site in hopes of learning tricks and tips. My second assignment is a reading intervention. As far as I know, this is a one-on-one session with a student, correct? It might be a smaller class as well. If so, that is great. I had a tutoring job in college and am used to working with students individually rather than as a class. However, I am unsure about what kind of plans the instructor will leave for me. All of my training consisted of plans dealing with 20+ more children in a room. Has anyone else substituted for an intervention class? What was it like?

RockstarSub13 is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is most likely a small group setting. It may be a pull-out class where students come to your classroom. Sometimes there is a curriculum being followed where you basically follow a script for the entire lesson. Sometimes there are activities for reading fluency and comprehension. It is also possible that there will be aides available to help you figure it all out. If you liked tutoring, this should be right up your alley!
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, it should be exactly as Yaya said, and it's very much like tutoring. You might have a few times during the day where you are going into the classrooms and pulling a few students to the side, or helping them with whatever they're working on in class. I did a long-term as a reading/math interventionist, and I loved it. Hope you enjoy it, as well.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

not to sound the alarm
Old 03-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As a supply teacher, your job could be anything. Those assignments could be entered right but when you show up, it's the ol' bait an' switch. So be ready for anything or at least try to get your mindset that you might be supervising a classroom full of students in an area you may not be necessarily comfortable with. It's the life of a sub. Question is, will you run away?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Depends on the school or district
Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In our district, RTI is a reading intervention class with around 10 students. They spend half the class on a computerized program and half the class reading with the teacher and paras. Some read in pairs. They have comprehension/vocabulary sheets to fill out as they read. Usually half the students are on the computers while half are with the teachers and aides. The classes are 40 minutes long, so students spend 20 minutes on each part of the program.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

RockstarSub13

Thank you!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for all the info. The reading intervention went well and I have another one tomorrow morning with a different school. It was so much better than my first assignment, which was for middle school English and Health classes. However, I have a high school class for the first time on Thursday and Friday. I'm learning as I go.
RockstarSub13 is offline   Reply With Quote