Help

Special Education

"Does this sound like ASD?" update

>

Haley23

"Does this sound like ASD?" update
Old 03-16-2017, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well now I know for next time...there are three things that our team looks for and if they don't meet all of them, they can't qualify under that. They are difficulty in understanding and interacting with people and events, significant difficulties with social communication, and rigidity in routines. My student met the first two but they didn't see any indicators of rigidity in routines, which I knew already. The things they suggested are things we've already tried (picture schedule, if/then visual, etc.) I guess at least I have the documentation that I brought it up if something comes up in the future. Not that I'm wishing an "extra diagnosis" on anyone, but part of me was hoping he'd qualify just to help make things more clear with his mom. She thinks he's "totally fine" and doesn't understand why he has/needs all of the extra supports such as a para getting him off of the bus every morning and watching him at recess. I've lost a LOT of time that I used to use my para for instruction because this child needs so much 1:1 supervision.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Interesting. I know that different states define the autism category in different ways, but to have to have those three in particular is odd. The first two I get (and they are in line with the DSM-5 diagnosis), but the third one is strange because there are three other RRB (repetitive and restricted behaviors) that are potentially in the diagnosis. I wonder why your state feels it has to be *that* one.

Sorry he didn't qualify and you have to put so much energy into supervising this child. Thanks for updating. I hope at the very least, they'll give you some extra support (but judging by your other posts about your admin, it's probably not likely...)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote