Help

The VENT

Sick of it!!!!

>

SwollenAnkles

Sick of it!!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just venting. We have a teacher at our school that is always having new ideas that she presents to the P and the the P sends out an email to everyone about how great it sounds and that we should all try it. I am so sick of hearing how wonderful everything this teacher does is. We all work so hard and I hear great ideas, better ideas that are not just busy, pretty, Pinterest ideas from so many teachers. Practical ideas that donít involve me spending money or staying up late copying and cutting! Those ideas are never put in the spot light! It is making me not able to like her and that is making me feel like a mean person! Deep breath. Thanks for letting me vent to you and not someone that would run and tell her how petty I am being.

SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It seems like in many places there are a small handful of people who are always touted as being the greatest, even when their ideas are not that great. These folks are self promoting and they get a lot of accolades. Meanwhile we always seem better teachers, those getting better results and those who are genuinely out of the box thinkers who just do the ideas with out self promoting their latest and greatest. Its annoying but...

The best thing in the world is to shut your door and do a good job for your kids.. The rest is just static.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I feel you
Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a new teacher on campus. Admin raves about her constantly, and I am just BAFFLED as to why. She's regularly 15 minutes late to pick up her kids from Specials, seriously inconveniencing colleagues. She walks in front of her line with her fingers up in the air in her "silent" signal, completely ignoring the fact that her entire line is behind her going BONKERS. She asked for some flexible seating furniture that is awful, it looks like furniture you'd find in a mental hospital visiting room, all gray and metal and laminate, and she not only got approved for this furniture, now the ENTIRE STAFF is getting it. No more beautiful wood bookcases and cubbies in Kindergarten, we get mental hospital furniture. This teacher yells at parents, ignores her students, has zero classroom management and her test scores are abysmal, but what she wants, she gets. I don't get it. I really really don't get it. Never seen anything like it.

I don't think it's petty to be concerned about having ideas foisted on us that are more style than substance. These "we have a great new idea!!" proclamations rarely have anything to do with pedagogy, and everything to do with looking pretty on Instagram.

NJ Teacher

Could have been written about my school...
Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ever since we got a new principal in my school, she has chosen certain teachers as her favorite shining stars. One of the teachers at my grade level was an excellent teacher, but she was also outspoken and vocal. She had the principal's ear from the time the principal was hired. She was given positions of leadership and her words and ways of doing things were always held up as the paragon of perfection. We also had others who were skilled in things that would make the principal look good, like technology. She was incapable of noticing the quieter teachers, the ones who didn't feel the need to constantly blow their own horn, did wonderful things in the rooms without publicizing themselves constantly. I never respected her as leader because of her inability to recognize everyone's talents.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 03-22-2019, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We had an ap like the op has and yes, it is infuriating. She used to photograph her "pet's" bulletin boards and send the photos to the whole staff. It was very divisive and hurtful. Most of it was stuff straight out of pinterest and showed no creativity and made the rest of us feel very undervalued. Take a deep breath and like others have said, be yourself and don't try to compete.

rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 03-22-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For similar reasons, I went into my email account and put a few colleagues on my list of "Immediately send emails from these contacts to the Deleted Items folder".
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh, good idea! Didnít think of that!

Singvogel

Definitely "feel ya"
Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

And...

The special teacher who does something "new" and "wonderful" that you did ten years ago. Or she uses some app to do what you coded for your kids to do on desktops fifteen years ago.

I agree with OPs- Many of my colleagues, some of whom don't get noticed, do great work that really helps kids.

I wish your admin knew that comparison kills joy, and since we're not in it for the money, there really ought to be some joy!
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Thank you!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love what you said, "Comparison kills joy." That is all our P does is the comparison game. I think she feels it will make us work harder. It just makes me want to give up. The only reason I don't is that my students and their parents appreciate me and tell me often. Our P is only concerned with standardized test scores and she posts them and shares them frequently. My grade level is not very high...ever, but all the special ed teachers and our counselor tell us that when the kids come to us they are much happier and have a better year. They also get fewer complaints from parents. That needs to count for something.