Help

Special Education

Deciding who is pulled

>

checkerjane

Deciding who is pulled
Old 03-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there a policy or guideline your school uses to decided this? Iíve been pulling kids this year who I honestly think could stay in the classroom and bring their assignments to my room for extra help. Sorry Iím full of questions, lol. If my principal is making stay in sped, she should at least be open to some changes. ;(

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Team decision
Old 03-22-2019, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Having a student pulled for services is a team decision where I'm at and not just a unilateral decision. If it would benefit the student to stay in the classroom, and the team agrees, then it should be what's best for the student. I would talk to the team members and determine what would be best for students.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 03-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Right now, the decision is left solely to the gen ed teacher.

anghamm

Pulling kids
Old 03-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi there,

Is there a baseline of data or percentage used when pulling students? That is how our team would determine it. If a student is demonstrating the ability to perform at 75% or higher, we would only pull them for assessments and at their requests.
anghamm is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thereís no method, and itís frustrating. I have about 30 out of my 40 caseload kids who are SLD, ID, autistic, or a mixture. I pull about 27 of those. A kiddo was tested a few weeks ago, barely qualified, and the teacher wants her pulled so thatís whatís happening. I really wish there were guidelines or something to follow.

Haley23

Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is no "hard line" here, but it's definitely not just up to the gen ed teacher. Some of them definitely push for whatever they want, but I don't let them just get whatever that is if it doesn't make sense.

We do everything in intervention blocks. Ideally, I try to see my comparatively "higher" kids during those intervention blocks when all students are in different small groups. That way they're not actually missing anything in gen ed. Meanwhile, I try to put my lowest kids with an interventionist during those blocks and then pull them separately at a different time, so they're getting a triple dip.

I try to consider how much a child is getting out of gen ed instruction vs. how much they need the direct instruction in pull outs. I teach K-3. A 2nd or 3rd grader who is still very much learning how to read would be a child I see in extra pull outs. A 1st or K student who is needing millions of exposures to learn basics like letter names and sounds would be a kid I see in extra pull outs. I have some 3rd graders who are almost meeting grade level fluency and accuracy benchmarks. Those students only see me during intervention blocks. My K students who know almost all of their letter names and sounds see me during intervention block. Those who are really struggling to learn those see an interventionist during intervention block and me at a separate pull out.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

In my district,
Old 03-24-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

it is a team decision. If the parties are in disagreement, they generally agree to make a plan. The plan can be to place in Gen Ed on a trial basis, with or without more support or more support to be slowly reduced over time. Or to split the difference-part of the instruction time in gen ed and part with spec ed.

If push comes to shove, however, the team generally defers to the SpEd team specifically the SpEd Directors vote.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

You might want to look at IDEA
Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I found this through IDEA. It is a team decision based on data as to where the child is placed. Your school may be out of compliance and will have real issues if the parents decide for a due process.

https://www2.ed.gov/parents/needs/sp....html#deciding

The law also clearly states that special classes, separate schools, or other removal of children with disabilities from the regular educational environment may occur only if the nature or severity of the child's disability is such that education in regular classes with the use of supplementary aids and services cannot be achieved satisfactorily.

This was just one of the statements about placement.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-30-2019, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

tea break posted some good information. Placement and services are team decisions. If a child is receiving services in any space other than the gen ed classroom, it should be specified (with rationale) in the IEP.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Peacenik74

IDEAL world
Old 04-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good morning,
I am responding to decision to pull or not to pull.
I have worked across my state and each district has their own interpretation to the ruling.
The deference is left to the most senior sped team member and the general education team especially in testing grades.
I know all have the best interest of the student at heart, but the testing stress can create an unlevel playing field.
Keep serving your students in their best interests, at the end of the day, their success in life is the most important factor.

Peacenik74 is offline   Reply With Quote