Help

Special Education

Aides office space??

>

teacher0729

Aides office space??
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our room that was used for our sped aides to have a desk is now going to a different position. Do your aides have a space of their own? We are not self contained- it is resource and the aides are mostly in the gen ed classrooms as they are supporting

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 05-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In our building, paras have a locker in the staff room for their personal items. They have access to a computer for their timecard, to check work email, enter documentation or incident reports, etc. in the staff room.

Paras that work in one classroom all day have a small group table to work with the kids, and typically store their personal items in that classroom rather than using a locker.
Paras that move throughout the day use the lockers and computer in the staff room. There are hallway small group areas and a small group table in each classroom for them to work at.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One para out of 3 has a computer and space at my school, not sure why. Itís in my room and takes up good student space. This para is never in my room for anything. 🤷🏼#♀️
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used to have a large (like full classroom sized) room and my para had a desk and space of her own there. This year we not only moved buildings, but also changed the role of paras to almost 100% pushing in to classrooms. My current para is only with me for 20 minutes per day. I'm also now in a much smaller classroom that doesn't really have any extra space. I didn't build in a space for paras when I moved into this room. They're both new, so thankfully I didn't have to deal with anyone "losing" their space. The previous para I had would have thrown a fit. All paras in the building do have a locker where they can store personal items like purses and coats.

The para I used to have liked to be able to sit at her own desk during her lunch and breaks. I get it, but if the space is needed for students I don't know that we can justify that. Unless the para is required to do work that would involve sitting at a desk/storing materials, etc. then I don't think they need to have a desk.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I always made sure the paras
Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

had "A space" but it was not necessarily always a desk. Whatever fit their needs...

Most appreciated it without abusing it. I did have one case where the para starting bringing her computer in and doing her online homework as soon as she got her space but that was a separate issue.

I also worked as a para in a school one year and was given a desk space and a key for a part-time classroom so I could store stuff and eat lunch there as I wanted. I was never really in there unless my students were absent or I had to do a PD course.

My paras now have desks but then we are self-contained and they see kids as much as I do.

GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Too many paras
Old 05-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have three paras this year and will have four next year. It would take up to much space to give them all a desk area. I have a filing cabinet where each para can place their personal belongings. They place their coats on the coat rack like the students do. The paras each have a tablet that gives them their daily schedule and gives them access to school email. My paras stay in my room all day and we keep the students for ten years ages 11-21 so we all tend to be more of a family.
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote