Help

The VENT

Membership clubs for teachers?

>

teacherwriter

Membership clubs for teachers?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This must be the next step in the evolution of teacherpreneurs since I guess TPT isn't profitable enough for them. (I'm trying to be charitable here.) I just got an email from a teacher who I've followed casually for a year or so. She just TODAY opened her NEW membership site that's open to me ONLY for SEVEN days. (Detecting a little snark here?) After that, it's closed so she can serve her founding members. (How noble of her!) This isn't the only one. I have at least two more that are moving to a membership plan. And most, if not all, of them are former teachers now doing this full-time. Today's site wants $24.95 a month or $249.99 a year! That's ridiculous.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

That's crazy!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's crazy! I do like TPT because it saves me so much time. However, over the past few years, I've noticed prices going up quite a bit. I feel like when I first started using it as a beginning teacher, resources were much more affordable on there. Part of me understands wanting to make a little extra cash as teachers, but this is getting out of hand in my opinion. I wish we went back to just helping each other and sharing for free.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree. PT used to offer a lot of resources for free. Now I have to go to archives back to maybe 2011 or 2012 to find the free resources.

If teachers keep providing their own curriculum through TPT then the school districts have to be pretty happy. Next they'll want teachers to buy their own copy paper and bring in coal for heat. Oh wait....
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Memberships
Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had not heard of this for teachers, but seems pretty common for bloggers and influencers to want to get you on a mailing list.

Except for some recipes or meal plans, I have yet to be asked to pay for anything, though. I thought joining a mailing list was just to have another stat for ads, sponsorships, etc.

As far as teachers, the closest thing I have experienced is a teacher who gives access to monthly freebies for being on her free mailing list. Often the freebies are previews for larger bundles she is getting ready to put on TPT.

Would Angela Watson's classes fall under this category? I think once you pay for a course you have access to certain resources.

IME some TPT products prices are going up because they are a bundle that gets bigger as items get added to it. I have a writing product I use that I payed less than $20 for about four years ago. Now it is sold for $100, but it has 3 times as many items and levels in the bundle.

Fortunately I can still download all the updates for free.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is ridiculous, but as with anything, there are people willing to pay...therefore these teachers are going to put it out there in the hopes someone will bite. Fellow teachers need to stop biting!

I don't purchase anything off of TPT. I refuse to spend my own money on curriculum when the district provides me with curriculums for math/reading/phonics/spelling. To supplement those, and for everything else, I can easily find free ideas online and/or create my own. With TPT, you are often just paying for "fancy" worksheets. I don't need my worksheets to be fancy.

Call me cheap.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

ELiza, I make my own, too!

There have been a few things I have purchased because they were more indepth or complicated, such as novel units. Many of the other things I bought (like Mentor Sentences) I used a couple of times and then haven't touched them.

I hate that we have to scam each other. Very few things are "new" ideas, either. That is the part I don't get. Someone may have made up their own sentences or word problems.... but the ideas are not new.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Membership clubs
Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I never bought a single thing on TPT. Between what the district gave me and a plethora of free stuff on line, I found it unnecessary . If i wanted a cutesy, Pinterest worthy worksheet, I slapped a few stickers on it.

I also confess to seeing things on TPT and thought “psht...I could make that.” And did.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I also confess to seeing things on TPT and thought “psht...I could make that.” And did.

Lolol! Yep! Me, too!

Quote:
Very few things are "new" ideas, either.
Exactly! Why would I pay for ideas that are copycats of others?
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Membership clubs
Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I’m seeing more and more of them. The first one I saw was Angela Watson (40 hour Work Week) but since then Anna diGilio, Jen Bengal, many others...
Tessa_Rue is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I have only checked TPT out a few times
Old 07-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

to see what they sold. 1 teacher I know buys worksheets on there too.
I have not looked in depth on the site, but have not come across anything I could not pretty easily whip out myself in a way that better fits my kids' needs.
The one exception is I have seen some cool decorative stuff, but it all seemed like you just bought the basic outline and had to do a lot to it. I'd rather shop at a teacher store and find something done and laminated. It is possible, I misunderstood it and some stuff might come to you ready to go.
There is a lot of stuff free online that is cool though. I know every yr it seems after I have used a cool site, it usually changes to a pay to use site. Then I am off searching for another good site.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I haven’t seen the memberships for teachers yet but have seen them for many bloggers/instagrammers so I’m not really surprised.

Unfortunately, we are provided very little in the way of curriculum at my school. What we do have is completely unaligned with our standards. We are routinely told “the standards are your curriculum” and nobody understands us saying no... the standards are what you need to accomplish while the curriculum is what you use to teach.

So, due to this my teaching team spends a LOT on TPT. Could we make everything ourselves? Yes, probably. But, the time it would take to create every single resource that we need would be insane so TPT is definitely worth it and a huge help to us.

Does it suck spending our own money? Of course! But... not many other options, it’s the same for my whole school.

Thankfully, going on year 8 in the same grade level I am needing to purchase less each year (we do share the cost as a team, but it’s still a lot).

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 07-14-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Very few things are "new" ideas, either. That is the part I don't get. Someone may have made up their own sentences or word problems.... but the ideas are not new.
This is what's funny about the whole thing. I often will come up with an idea I want to do. The first thing I do is look on TPT to see if someone has already created it (which is often the case). If it's free (or really cheap) I'll purchase, otherwise I'll just go ahead and make it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Lilbitkm
Old 07-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have worked at schools like that too.

"Just teach to the standards" was the common refrain.

Even if a district provided curriculum to regular ed, often they left special ed out in the cold. Or you were given a curriculum that is only appropriate for 3 of the 12 students on your case load.

When I was a new teacher TPT was a life saver.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-14-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am too cheap to use TPT. I occasionally search for things on there but always set the filter to "free" so that I'm not even tempted by the things you have to pay for. My SLP teammate uses it a lot- but she seems to get a TON of activities in each little thing she buys. It works out a little better for her too because she only sees each group of kids once per week, so the activities last a lot longer.

I have also been in schools with "the standards are the curriculum" rhetoric. Which was always funny for me, because I remember a fellow student mentioned that in my senior year of college and she was scolded by a professor for not knowing the difference between standards and curriculum

My current school started using curriculum several years ago, but like the pp said of course sped was left out. Title 1 was given new curriculum every couple of years! A lot of my materials literally came from the secretary keeping things aside for me that were supposed to be thrown away after the newest curriculum came. I made up a lot of my own stuff and some stuff I knew I really needed (i.e. decodable books/passages) but I refused to spend my own money on it. I did the best I could with the materials I had.

When we got a new P who showed slightly more interest in sped, I pitched several fits and was finally given some curriculum for the first time ever- in my 8th year of teaching. I think the TPT thing is the same issue as teachers buying supplies. Teachers feel like they "have to" or get conned into the "it's for the kids" rhetoric, and then admins/districts don't have buy anything because the teachers are providing it.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Well, technically the district does purchase us curriculum. However, it’s completely inappropriate and not up to par with our standards or end of year state exam.

Saving me time and the headache of making it all on my own is definitely worth the money... if it’s something I can quickly make myself I do but many times it’s not.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-14-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The lead of one of the FB groups I am in posted that she would be emailing the most exciting thing today and we wouldn't want to miss it. Sure enough, it is a membership to a group that would get you "free" stuff for a cost per month. Relatively cheap ($5) but what guarantee do you have that any of the free stuff would even work for you?

I do miss the PT days of sharing. I got tons of useful stuff on here.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-14-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This just goes back to personal preference. Some people buy fancy pens, special flexible seating options, bulletin board decorations, books, etc. most of us spend money on stuff towards our classroom- for me, it’s on TPT resources.

My first few years of teaching I bought all the things haha! And I used to create everything from scratch. I moved schools about 4 years ago, and did not get a planning period to myself at that school. TPT saved me a lot of time creating resources myself, cutting into my personal time. It was just this year that I started feeling settled enough to create some of my own resources that I couldn’t really find on TPT. I cleaned them up a bit and decided to start listing them on TPT in March. After a little over two months, I made almost $1,000. For me, VA is not common core, so it’s a much more specific niche for products.

I haven’t even heard of these memberships. But I kinda wonder if they’re being promoted by certain “courses”. Some of the top TPT sellers are now running online courses for TPT sellers... and I’m noticing several that are taking these courses are all doing the same things. I actually just won a giveaway on IG for a TPT store rebranding- I was so excited 😂
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Kahluablast...
Old 07-14-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

...has it right! Before TPT, we would share ideas and projects here. It was free and it was useful. I miss those days as well.

I have bought a few things on TPT to supplement what I have. I really only follow a couple of people there. I have a few things I got there that are in my sub tub. Much of what I see is more style than substance now than in it's early days.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Tpt
Old 07-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I, like a lot of the previous posters, only used TPT to supplement what I had or if I needed a special project. My Mother's Day cards that the kids made was a TPT project, and I got some good Back-to-School things from there. I was a member of Scholastic Printables, although that was expensive. I used it for supplemental homework, and it was great for subs or buddy activities. I was very happy when I retired so I didn't have to lay out money for any of these any more. I also remember when we shared a lot of ideas here. I miss those days, too.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

There are a still a few teachers that share here. It's very refreshing to see the generosity of years ago on PT. Perhaps we can start a new Giving Board of some kind.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

This is like all the websites that went from free to paid subscriptions a few years ago...I sure will miss you but I am not going to pay.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

memberships
Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I see some advertised and hope PT never follows suit
I also remember the days of PT when we shared lessons and units freely. I loved coming here for inspiration and ideas! I do not pay for TPT like many of the younger teachers do. Just goes against what I believe.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Seems to be the way things go...
Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

these days.

Software is by subscription.
Educational practice sites are by subscription. (I was really bummed when Whooo's Reading went to a prohibitive $150 a year.)

And the list goes on...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Teachers selling to other teachers is a justifiable practice to me . However I do hope that other teachers refuse to enroll in these membership schemes. As a long time teacher recently retired,I can assure you that most things you buy will not be used that much and you will regret taking money from your budget to fund your job.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 07-29-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

For me Angela Watson’s Forty Hour Work week was what I needed guidance in. And I also like Simple K12 for tech training. Both helped me meet my PD hours and I could do them at home on my time. Most of my TPT purchases were great to so so.
EyeSeeTwo is online now   Reply With Quote