Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Ditching Cable and Need Advice Pros/Cons

>

laurenta

Ditching Cable and Need Advice Pros/Cons
Old 07-16-2019, 12:51 PM

So I'm seriously considering ditching cable. More so now than ever since my company is negotiating with NBC and CBS and have taken them away from my line-up while they duke it out. My family already has Amazon Prime and Netflix. Talk to me about other options so that I can watch local stations along with MTV, Lifetime, and any others. My boyfriend and I have looked into Hulu Live Live TV, Youtube TV, Sling, and Fubo TV. No one streaming company carries all of the channels I watch so that's my problem. Other than me getting over that... Talk to me about what you all like about these and help me compare. Yes I also know we can do the antenna route... but from what I'm looking at those streaming companies will allow me to watch ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox anyway so why would I need an antenna? Would that just be for local news? I appreciate your feedback!

laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM

I have hulu, amazon, and netflix, and have more than enough to watch with those. I'm not one to need things live, though, so that might make a difference for you. I tried hulu live and didn't really need it - you can get most everything the day after if you're patient. I watch any news on my computer.

And I'll be honest - I have my dad's cable password if there's ever something I want to watch on Lifetime or HBO or any of those apps.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Cable
Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Netflix has more than enough for me
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Glad you asked
Old 07-16-2019, 01:29 PM

We are thinking of giving up cable too. We don’t have Netflix. We usually watch regular tv anyway. There are a few programs that I like on HBO such as “Big Little Lies”.I like to hear the pros and cons too.
Thanks!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

laurenta

Disney Plus
Old 07-16-2019, 01:46 PM

I wanted to throw out there that we will definitely be getting Disney Plus when it rolls out in November. The cost is $6.99 per month but I'm sure it will increase once Disney hooks us all!

laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-16-2019, 02:15 PM

I have Netflix and Hulu and honestly have more than enough to watch. I watch an embarrassing amount of TV . Like the pp said, Hulu live is a waste of money unless you are just dying to watch things live. I don't really understand it as they post everything the next day anyway- why pay $45 per month to watch shows 1 day earlier? I also prefer watching them later anyway, because I can watch on my own time and also pause/stop if needed.

The only major local network that doesn't work with Hulu is CBS. Luckily for me, CBS is the channel that works the best with my antenna. For me, I think it's an issue of where my specific apartment is located, and antennas don't work that great. My best friend lives in the middle of nowhere and tons of channels come in perfectly for her. I don't like to bother with keeping up with live TV schedules anymore anyway, so most of the time I just don't watch something if it's on CBS- but I do watch Big Brother every year .

Hulu has some content from MTV and Lifetime, but I don't think they have the same deal where they air episodes the next day. I'd just consider how attached you are to whatever it is you're watching on those two channels, and if it's worth paying more per month just for that. I used to like some stuff on Lifetime and TLC (although Hulu now has more stuff from TLC also), but in the end it wasn't worth it to me to pay $90 more per month just for that stuff when there are plenty of other shows to discover on Netflix and Hulu. I'm currently paying $15 total for TV. During the school year, I drop Netflix because I have less time and enjoy Hulu a lot more anyway, so my cost then will be $6!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. I watch Amazon the least of the three.
I use a Firestick to stream.

I did use PlayStation Vue for awhile and also tried Directv Now but realized I really didn’t need the live TV. I got more than enough options using the three streaming services I already had.

I thought I would really miss cable. It’s been at least 2+ years without it and I don’t miss it at all.

I have my moms cable password and do use it for a few bad reality shows that I enjoy but I wouldn’t be upset to not be able to watch them.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

PurplePeacock

Ditching cable
Old 07-16-2019, 05:35 PM

I'm in the process of ditching cable too. My biggest concern is live sports, specifically my beloved Eagles. So I talked to a friend of mine who cut the cord last year and she does Hulu Live via Firestick. My other concern is internet. My neighborhood recently got wired for FIOS so I'm thinking of going that route, but I need internet since I teach online in the evenings and weekends.
PurplePeacock is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-16-2019, 06:35 PM

We have youtube tv. Comes with live tv, including sports. $45/mo

I will say that I lost internet yesterday afternoon at 1:30. It wasn't on before I went to bed. It was very hard once I found out to entertain myself. I had to watch 2 dvd's I had in the cabinet. Thankfully, they were adult ones. No, not that kind of adult ones. Just ones for grownups. Okay - Horrible Bosses followed by Aliens.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 PM

I didn't notice anything said about internet. If your cable company is your internet provider, check to see if dropping the television part of your service only is an option and what the price difference will be. We've talked about ditching our cable, but we need internet plus the streaming service are only available to us if we have internet.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-16-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I didn't notice anything said about internet. If your cable company is your internet provider, check to see if dropping the television part of your service only is an option and what the price difference will be. We've talked about ditching our cable, but we need internet plus the streaming service are only available to us if we have internet.
Mine were bundled, but my bill was cut by more than half when I dropped the cable portion. In the beginning, when I was paying a special promo rate, it would have only saved me $10 per month to cut the cable portion, so it made sense to just keep it. Of course that is how they get you into contracts where they then continuously raise the price. I'm glad I was truly 100% prepared to cancel and not just trying to get a better deal when I called to cancel, because they didn't offer me a thing (I often hear people advise that you should call and threaten to cancel so they give you a better deal). All they said was that if I were to move, I'd be able to get introductory rates again and I should call them.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-17-2019, 03:54 AM

I dropped the cable from my bundle and kept Internet. My internet, in my opinion, is still expensive.
However, my bill went from $160 a month to $70 a month. I was already paying for Netflix so I saved $90 a month and added Hulu for 13 a month... still a huge savings!
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 AM

I have everything bundled with AT & T: cable, internet, 4 cell phones. My cable deal was getting ready to expire and I was ready to cancel it. I was shocked when they said they would keep me at the same price due to my long standing relationship. Maybe cable companies are figuring out that they need to stay competitive to keep business!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 AM

We haven't had cable in years. I OD in HGTV when I go to hotels. I do miss that channel. We do Hulu, Netflix, and an antenna to get basic channels off air. We also have Amazon prime, but I always forget about it with regards to TV because we almost never watch it. I love Hulu best, kids love Netflix best.

I think you'll miss what you don't have less than you think you will. At least that was true for me.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 07-17-2019, 08:12 AM

I have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. I still spend significantly less than I did on cable.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-17-2019, 08:45 AM

The biggest pro is that you realize you don't need that much TV. We used to be "TV in the background" people and had lots of shows we watched.

Gave up cable for money reasons, and I would never go back willingly. We watch much less TV now, and there can be several days in a row where it isn't even turned on. The house is so much more peaceful without that background noise.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM

We dropped cable back in the spring, and I haven't missed it at all. I grew up with cable, so I kind of just thought I needed it.

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the basic Hulu. We did up our internet speed when we dropped cable. If I need local news, I look it up on their website. I can even watch their news online.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 AM

We cut the cord awhile ago. We have internet through Cox. We got Sling with a sport package. We have Hulu and also got an antenna. I like watching shows the next day with no commercials.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote