Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Senior portraits

>

Sbkangas5

Senior portraits
Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Is this still a thing? Does everyone do them? It hadn't even occurred to me until I read someone else's post. My dd hasn't said one word about it. I've never been one for family portraits or anything like that, so I don't even know where to begin.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM

It's still a thing around here (midwest) although not as much as it used to be. Some families really can't afford it anymore. There are photographers who specialize in various kinds of school photos. For instance, a lot of times the photographers who do sports photos will also do senior photos. But, if she hasn't mentioned it, maybe it's different where you are.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM

I would say fewer than half (maybe closer to a third?) of people at my kids' high school did senior portraits. They were really big at our last school in Hawai'i and everyone did them. Not so much here. My son didn't mention it and I was fine with that!

I didn't do it when I was in high school in the midwest, although it was a "thing." I did regular picture day
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 AM

My daughter did not do them. It appears that most of her friends didn't, either. That said, I do know that many kids do have them done. It all depends on what your child wants, what you want, what you can reasonably afford (they are often hundreds of dollars and that's right when your child might better use that money at college).

Ask your daughter how she feels, if she strongly wants them, then you might consider having them done. If she doesn't really care, and they aren't really your thing, either, then you can certainly skip them. They are not a requirement in any way, and many kids do not have them done.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Itís a huge deal in the district I am in now. But pictures in general are huge - all of the sports teams, band, etc get pictures done each year, as well as pics of the seniors in each sport that are displayed in our HS school. There are also photo banners of sports students displayed on the lampposts as well.

When I was in school I went to Sears and had mine taken for probably $14.99!

Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 07-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Here all seniors had to have portraits for the yearbook. But they dont have to buy them for personal use.

If you dont do senior portraits do you have regular pictures in the yearbook?
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Sbkangas5...I am the post you are referring to about senior pictures. This is all new to me and I didnít realize I should have booked awhile ago. I had a daughter that graduated in 2014 from high school and she had a friend take some cute shots of her for the yearbook. The older daughter didnít want anything to do with hiring a photographer. Saved me money thatís for sure. My younger daughter is all about the senior pics and has a Pinterest file to show a photographer of what she would like done. We live in the Midwest and senior pictures are very popular in our state. Count your blessings if your daughter is not interested! 😁
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Senior pics
Old 07-19-2019, 12:40 PM

When my son was a senior, it was a big deal to so senior pictures. I booked the photographer and we had the photo session. It was the worst experience. The photographer made zero effort to connect to my son and get him to relax to enjoy the session. I was livid at how awful it was. I never purchased any of these portraits.

Instead, we held our own photo session and I was the photographer. We created some very nice photos. Much cheaper and worked within our schedule.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 07-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Senior pics are still ďa thingĒ where we live (Midwest). All three of my kids had pics done.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Senior Pictures
Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM

They are still a thing here in So Cal. It just so happens that many of my former colleagues have kids that are going to be seniors this year, and they were all complaining about the high cost of having them done ($300+).

One friend took photos of her son while the photographer was taking his pictures with different poses, and she said she will not be ordering the professional photos, but will just use the ones she took. I bet that photographer won't allow parents to be there in future sessions.

Last edited by cvt; 07-19-2019 at 07:43 PM..
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Senior pics
Old 07-19-2019, 04:35 PM

Both of my sons had them taken. They needed a picture in a suit coat for the yearbook and the packages went up from there. They picked the smallest one. You can spend hundreds of dollars.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Senior photos
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 PM

Senior photos are big here, but there is a cadre of photographers who offer sittings of various types and prices. We live in a low rural social-economic area, and these photographers may not be professionals in the big city sense, but are very good and reasonably priced. Others are working toward building a business and offer free services just to get the practice and to get their name out there.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 07-19-2019, 05:34 PM

We took our daughter to Epcot before senior year and had a senior photo shoot done there. She had an hour to fill, so she was able to have a few outfits and different locations.
She also did a formal photo shoot for the yearbook. I didn't purchase any of those because buying just one picture wasn't an option. If I remember correctly, $200+ was the beginning price.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-19-2019, 06:43 PM

DD had to have a yearbook picture so I think all seniors did portrait sessions but these were done at school. It certainly can get expensive.

It would never occur to me to hire our own photographer for a photo shoot!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM

I took my boys to the jc Penny's portrait studio and had an inexpensive package. We had photo cards printed for each that had three photos and and name, graduation date etc. ld guess we spent about $40 for those cards and a few prints each time? The most expensive thing was getting a mat cut with a hole for each. After the youngest graduated I framed the cards as a set and still have that hanging. The photo cards doubled as graduation announcements for our very closest friends/relatives and to give to their girlfriends, etc. I still have some of the 25 pack in my cupboard.

I know people who spent a fortune and I was glad I hadn't. My kids took their own props (their instruments, etc.) Just like at the fancy studios.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
If you dont do senior portraits do you have regular pictures in the yearbook?
I don't even know! None of my kids have any interest in a yearbook, so we've never purchased one.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 AM

My daughters high school gave us an appointment with the photographer at the high school. I paid $40 for the sitting and it includes the yearbook picture. I will then need to purchase the ones I want. I canít wait to see them because they took a lot of shots and even went outside for them. You were able to have up to three clothes changes for a higher fee.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-20-2019, 06:52 AM

I didn't get senior pix when I was a kid. My oldest graduated this May--she didn't have them. I'm really hoping my son won't want them, either. He's a rising junior. So much silly hoopla.

Quote:
One friend took photos of her son while the photographer was taking his pictures with different poses, and she said she will not be ordering the professional photos, but will just use the ones she took.
Wow. That's crap.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Senior pictures
Old 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM

Senior pictures are still a thing around here. DS just graduated, and did NOT want to sit for pictures. So he went skateboarding with his friend, who happens to be into photography, and his friend snapped a few nice photos. There was one we used on his invitations, and it's the "official" senior picture.

Honestly, I know that a professional photographer can get fantastic shots, but with our digital camera we seem to do a darn good job. At a much cheaper price.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote