Substitute Teachers

Teachers who are often absent

>

Subby

Subby

Teachers who are often absent
Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hate to sub for the habitual missers. No plans. Students have had so many subs that they know they aren't accountable. Every school has a few of these. Do these teachers take deduct days or what. I swear, for years one teacher misses about as much as he is there. And the kids are WILD. No structure or order.

Amberlee

Continual absences
Old 11-25-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was in for a teacher once who'd been gone several weeks, and there was a huge mountain of papers on her desk. I sifted through trying to find the assignments and saw at least 10-15 'reports' from different substitutes. The assignments were a mess-- started by one Substitute, sections taught by different ones, reviewed by yours truly, and then a test by another substitute. She wasn't coming back the day after I arrived but they got another substitute in for the next day again (through the automated system).

Seriously if you are going to be gone for more than a week, try to get a long term substitute or at least get the office to call the person back the next day.

I felt terrible for the students! They were missing so much. There was no plan for art so I helped them make a giant 'get well card' for their teacher because you could tell they missed her, but.... their education was definitely suffering.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's one of the things I don't like about our new automated system - less consistancy for the kids. If a teacher who had called in sick was going to be out another day, our old coordinator would have tried to arrange for them to have the same person again, even if it meant asking us to trade with each other.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote