Help

Substitute Teachers

New Long Term Sub...

>

lovereading86

New Long Term Sub...
Old 11-27-2009, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All...I was just asked to be a long term Kindergarten Sub. in a charter school starting Monday!! I'm very excited, but also a little nervous. Can anyone offer words of wisdom to help me on my new venture? (as far as what I can expect and what I should be doing). I have subbed a few times this year, but not too often! Let me know any advice you can give!

lovereading86 is offline   Reply With Quote

WenReuLau

Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

kindergardeners need an equal balance of love and structure. Too much of either one = chaos!
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote

Rerun

Kinney's are the new
Old 11-27-2009, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1st graders with a lot more crayons. Enjoy them. This is what humans are before they turn into snots (this is from a parent and urban teacher)
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote

KenzLuv2Teach

I am too!!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi lovereading86, I am one as well! The kindergarten teacher recently went on maternity leave and I was asked to take over. I was a third grade teacher last year, and a assistant special education teacher for the beginning of this year, so I had much experience (or so I thought). I learned that Kindergarten is very different than any other grade. One thing I found was that children this age need to be spoken to very slowly. I was losing their attention during lessons, because I was speaking to them at the same rate I would speak to adults. Way too fast!! Keep it simple and slow. Sometimes the kids won't listen and that, but try your hardest not to lose your mind! I try to incorporate as much center time and play time as possible. The kids will get ansy!! Treat your first week of teaching as their first week of school. Try to learn everyone's name and get to know each individual child. Also, try to send out a letter to the parents the 1st week you'll be with the kindergarten students. I attached my letter. Also, try to make your classroom your own. I went in on 7:30ish on my first day (my school starts at 9:00) and rearranged the whole room! Make sure you know exactly what the teacher expects you to teach them, but feel free to give all and any lesson plans your own twist!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Long Term Letter.doc (26.0 KB, 46 views)
KenzLuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

lovereading86

Thank you!!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow these are some great tips!! Thanks for the sample intro. letter!! I will most certainly try to remember these tips during my first week!

Thanks!!

lovereading86 is offline   Reply With Quote