Liability insurance and teacher associations? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Liability insurance and teacher associations?

>

barbara s

barbara s

Liability insurance and teacher associations?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I asked this a while back, but thought I'd follow up by tagging along with thread on the sub union. Do any of you have teacher liability insurance coverage? If so, where did you get it? Union membership would include that or offer it as an option. However, I'm in a right-to-work state, so no unions here. One of my grad school teachers has strongly urged everyone to join the NEA to obtain its liability insurance coverage, but it's for public school teachers only. The association that has told me it would accept me as a private-school sub is the American Association of Educators. Do you know anything about it? I'd appreciate hearing about what you all do on this...

Swtogirl

Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Even in right-to-work states, there are usually teacher associations that provide liability coverage, lobbying, bargaining, mediation, etc. like a union. In Texas, there are several associations. I belong to TCTA (but I am a full-time teacher). TCTA does accept subs (and I don't think they specify public or private, but you'd have to check) for a smaller yearly fee.

Rather than listen to the NEA (ugh! not going to get into my opinion of them). Ask the teachers at your school what teacher associations there are and investigate them. Usually the teacher's lounge or work room have posters for the associations that have contact information on them.

Good luck!
Swtogirl is offline   Reply With Quote