Substitute Teachers

Negoitiate your punishment??

>

??Huh?

??Huh?

Negoitiate your punishment??
Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I sub at high school in which the assistant principal reviews all behavior referrals, may decline to give a student a detention and send the student back to the teacher to "work out" the punishment. This is for the regular teachers.

I don't even bother to refer students unless something of mine is stolen or I am physically threatend. This is a "nice" school with "good kids", but there are no consequences and apparently no backup from the administration. I refuse to sub for special ed there anymore and find myself engaging with the students as little as possible. With the exception of a few teachers and said assistant principal, the staff is actually pleasant and I keep getting called to that building.

The rest of the schools in the district are very strict with the (younger) students, with clear expectations, consequences and zero tolerance. Why does it fall apart at the high school level?

FWIW I am not certified to teach HS and have little experience with that age group, but I can't be too picky about the jobs I take.

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
That administration sounds...
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...like a bunch of grade A weenies.

My last (and I do mean last!) HS sub assignment was at an upper-middle-class
school with SOME nice and very smart kids. And I'll give the administration credit:
unlike the school you describe, this school gave teachers (including subs) not
REFERRAL slips, which might or might not lead to detention, but DETENTION slips!!
If a student acted up, you could drop a slip on his desk and he was in detention
after school, period the end. So I had a pretty good day, enjoying an honors,
class, dropping a few well-deserved detention slips in the other two classes, and
managing to verbally demolish a heckler who really asked for it.

But even with these positives, teaching at that school was no fun, even for the regular teachers. I got to talking with the custodian after school, and he said he'd often seen teachers in tears from the way they were treated by "these little bas*****."

HS subbing is hard even at its best. With a sissy administration, you have two chances of having a pleasant day: slim and none.

Last edited by Ball Three; 12-03-2009 at 09:32 PM..
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote