Substitute Teachers

Discouraged; not sure what to do

>

metoo

metoo

Discouraged; not sure what to do
Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Not using my regular name here. I sub in private school. I was told this summer that I would be hired regularly. It hasn't happened. I looked at my pay stub last night and realized that I've had only 13 days total. I can't figure out how to get more work. I have called and emailed to say (politely!) that I'm available and will happily take more work. Sometimes that gets me a day, sometimes not. I grab every day that's offered to me. I always leave the room better than I found it and provide notes for the teachers. I do all the usual duties as assigned. I ask for feedback, but I don't get any from the teachers or my supervisor; in fact, I've never even had a walkthrough. Twelve of my days are at one school, which is good. And I've had repeat assignments for the same teacher, so that's also good. So I have to assume I'm doing OK. I guess.

Yesterday I learned that there are at least two or three other people who get called for work way more than I do. Actually, their pace is more like what I'd expected--two or three days a week. Sigh. What can I do to get more work? I'm committed to this school because I'm committed to parochial education, and I like the school. Plus, on a logistical level, our school calendar doesn't match the public school calendar; trying to sub in public while my kids are in private would create huge babysitting and carpool problems. (I already have to pay afterschool on sub days. I don't want to make it worse.) I really want to make this work. How can I get more assignments? I will say that they do not call me for quick-notice assignments; everything I'm offered is booked in advance. Do I try to convince them that I can do same-day work? Any other ideas? I'm stumped. Thanks.

whatever

Is that a monthly pay check?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For a calendar month, I assume? You have to remember that with weekends out, most months only have 20-22 working days at best. If there are any teacher workdays, vacation days or half days, that number is even less. It sounds like you are working about 2/3 of the time available.

If you are only signed up at one school and they have "at least two or three other people who get called for work even more than you do," that sounds like quite a bit of days for a private school.

Unless you mean you have only worked 13 days total since school started...that is different. In that case, it may be that the others are of longer standing or something. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Good luck. Subbing is a different kind of job. I loved it personally-I just couldn't live on the money.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Public School calendars
Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Even if your school calendar doesn't match the public school calendar, that doesn't mean you can't work part of the time in the public school. As a substitute we generally have the freedom to say when we're available and when we're not. For example, you could say you are only available to substitute on Monday and Tuesday, or maybe you are only available to substitute mornings or only afternoons. You also have the option to decline an assignment if the calendars are conflicting. While this may not be ideal, you might be able to get a few more days of work at least.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

are you economically strapped? it sounds like it, if that's the case, then definitely look into going to ps for more job openings....if you put all your eggs into one basket you're not going to get a lot....and it sounds like the other subs have been at there jobs longer...

what's the time difference of dismissal between private vs. public school? why do you have to pay afterschool on sub days? if you sub in the school that your kids attend; don't you get out the same time?
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote