Substitute Teachers

Questions about half days assignments

>

bonnybelle

Questions about half days assignments
Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, my heroes,

Thanks for stepping into my shoes whenever I need someone like you.I have a question. A friend who is are retired teacher has asked me about this.

On a Wednesday we have a routine early dismissal and the students go home at 12:30. Would you be able to claim a full day or is that a 1/2 day assignment as far as you are concern. She thinks it's a full day because of the contact time with students = 100% of their day.

do you see it that way?

bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

unseen001

full day
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What time do you start school? It would be full day here because the half day ends at 11:30.
unseen001 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All the districts here have (different) set amounts of time that constitute a half day. So, for instance, if the "half day" requires your friend to work more than 3 and a half hours (from the time she's required to arrive), then that's a full day's pay.

I once had a school make me stay for 3 extra hours after an early dismissal, because they were paying me for a full day so I needed to put in 8 hours. I cut out about 7 million laminated shapes that afternoon.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote
thordau4
Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 AM
This message has been deleted by thordau4.

Rowe

Count the hours
Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello Bonny,

I would advise your friend to contact her county's school board substitute office, give the person who handles payroll the hours that she worked, and let payroll determine whether or not she worked a half day or full day. Your friend can even ask payroll how many hours must she work to earn a full day's pay as a substitute teacher in that county.

In any event, substitutes cannot claim a full day's day simply because they spent half of the school day with students, and stayed with the students until they left. A substitute teacher is paid according to the number of hours that was spent at the school.

If a school's half day ends before a substitute teacher can claim a full day, then you can sure that you're getting a half day's pay.

Last edited by Rowe; 12-04-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Like everyone else has said it really depends on the district. Where I work, there is only half or full day, so once you pass half day(11:30am) then it's a full day.

grav_def: Did you ever go back to that school? That sounds like a nightmare. Staying for 3 hours is just ridiculous.

YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 12-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If that were my school, it would be a full day (anything past noon is full day) I love subbing inservice days where the kids are out at 1pm and I get paid full day.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

uh wait a min...
Old 12-04-2009, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

you don't have a cut off time? You should either have a # of hours worked or preferably a clock time where it begins the full day.

Ours is ANY amt of time you work before 11:39 am is a half and any time after 11:40 is a half. We have literally had subs that show up, sign in and get sent home w/in a few min and they get paid for the half day. I have also worked only 20 min into the 2nd half and got paid for a full day. If I didn't get paid for the 2nd half of that day and could not sign on for a 2nd half w/ someone or I HAD to work only full days then I wouldn't work a day like that - gotta take care of yourself first.

Do what you have to do and find out the guidelines, I can't believe your dist doesn't have clear cut rules (state board of labor and all that)

bonnybelle

Old 12-04-2009, 11:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will tell my sidekick about this feedback. She was contracted from 8 to 12 today. They actually breached her 1/2 day pay by 1/2 hour by paying her 1/2 * to 11:30. I love the idea of having the county's payroll policy to share with the district. Subs work hard and have to be ready to rock and roll at a moments notice.
LynneLC

LynneLC

Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Where I work, four hours or more is considered a full day's pay. Anything less than four hours is considered a half day and paid accordingly. I have signed up for jobs that were to run from 8:30 to 12:30, and then noticed on the system that they had changed the hours to 8:30 to 12:00 without notifying me.

I always hope to work on the Early Release days but lately it seems they are loathe to have Substitute Teachers work on those days, horrified that they would have to pay a full day's pay for "only" five hours of work. Often, I don't get any calls for Early Release days. Recently, I signed up for one such day, only to be called and told they were going to have the Building Substitute do the assignment instead. "Oh, but it all works out," I was told. "There's another assignment you can do at that school that's a half day." Uh no... that does not work out just fine for me because you've just cut my pay. I didn't take the half-day assignment as I thought something could come up at one of the schools that did not have early release.

Bonnybelle, was your friend told that morning she just had to stay until 11:30 and not 12:00, or did she actually work until 12:00?

bonnybelle

Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Was your friend told that morning she just had to stay until 11:30 and not 12:00, or did she actually work until 12:00?
She was told to report from 8:00 to 12 noon. [ half day 8:00 -11:30 ] There is a discrepancy in the policy now and this should become a precedent setting incident. I very much appreciate your responses.

musicteach7

musicteach7

Full day here
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In our district half days end at 11:30. For minimum days we get paid a full day. That usually means for the last part of the day we do office work.