Substitute Teachers

Assigning extra work

>

Subby

Subby

Assigning extra work
Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think we have to be careful that we don't get on the wrong side of the regular teacher by assigning more work. They have to send in lesson plans to the office. If the teacher has planned to assign the extra work for the next day, she might explode and complain to the office about someone not following lesson plans.

A few will assign extra work if needed. But many of them want the sub to FOLLOW the plans to the letter. If you don't plan to sub there too often, it will not be a problem.

I have heard teachers complain in the break room about subs assigning work they planned to cover.

It is getting harder to get access to the copy machine. Teachers have codes. I think principals need to require teachers to have an emergency plan in the office.

rbz

rbz

Depends on the work
Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If a sub is in an assignment for several days, and if all of the regular work has been covered, there is probably nothing wrong with going ahead a little if the sub feels comfortable doing it.

I usually don't assign "extra work," but there are exceptions. If the students have completed all of the work that the teacher has left, and if there is a clear need to "fill some time," I will sometimes create an assignment based on material that the teacher has already covered. Last year, for example, I subbed for a high school teacher who was gone for almost a week. Among the things that she left for a class was a video that took a few class periods to complete (I think there was also a written assignment that went along with it). I could tell, though, that there was going to be some extra time to spare, and I knew with one class that it would be a mistake to have nothing for them to do. I did a little research about the main character in the movie (it was a fictionalized story about a real person), created a worksheet, and told them to do it. A few students asked me if the teacher had really assigned this work, and I quickly answered that the teacher expected them to do it. I graded the assignment, but I don't know if the teacher ever recorded the grades.

Then, there was the time that I had to create an extra assignment. The teacher (a special subject) told me to go find a video and show it. The only problem was that the teacher who was the "keeper of the videos" told me that videos were not to be used for this purpose. This meant creating my own assignment, which I did in a hurry. It was based on things the teacher had done in class, and I corrected the papers for her. That teacher really owed me for bailing her out of that one!

yoohoo

Old 12-10-2009, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

totally agree with always reviewing work already done; you just have to be a fast thinker and creative on your feet. I am extremely hesitant about going beyond what the teacher has already assigned.

Granted if they finish early, you can always come up with some activity from a topic they've already gone through. This can be tricky in itself because you have to come across as confident and have that "the teacher also left this for you to do" attitude.

For ELA classes, sometimes I go back a topic or two and try to come up with a short writing prompt or if there's a holiday coming up I have them write something related to the holiday.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

I rarely
Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

assign extra work however I did post that I have no problem with it. I do what I have to do to maintain control esp in Middle school which is the level I posted originally about. Most teachers in oru dist. don't routinely use the questions int he book so me using that most likely isn't going to disrupt future plans. (our dist mostly uses worksheets b/c our students don't seem to afford paper and teachers dont' want to ahve to buy it)

Smiling Sub

Extra Work
Old 12-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I never teach anything that the teacher has not asked me to teach. I will review topics that the kids have already done, play educational games with them, or read them a story if I have extra time. Sometimes, I let them get started on their homework (5th and 6th grade). This way, if they have questions about their HW, I can help them

Most of the teachers I sub for leave more than enough work for me to cover. Most of them understand (and sometimes note) that they don't expect me to get through all of it but they want to leave me enough "just in case".

My advice to you is to always have a few educational activities with you so that if you find yourself with extra time you have something to do.

As for the copy machine, I try not to use the school's machine unless I really have to. I try to bring activities that don't require me to hand out paper.

Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As a teacher my stance is...Follow my written plans to a T. If they are done, then feel free to add on. You may move more quickly than I would have or time may be free, so go ahead and fill it with what you need.

If there is no plan (recently, I was sick for a week and had no more than a day's plans for Emergency)...the sub called me to see what I was doing and then winged it for the week. I came back grateful and impressed with the way they did. I appreciated the extra effort, because I was unable to do it myself.

I love subs! Haha, I know that sounds brown nosing, but I have yet to be actually disappointed by one. I know they are saving my butt by taking over for me....so they deserve the respect I can give them -- and he slack I can give them, since they aren't in my room EVERY DAY, they certainly can't read my mind, so of course there are discrepancies...it is not a big deal. :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote