Why do lower elem. teachers plan 25 minutes to read the class a book? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Why do lower elem. teachers plan 25 minutes to read the class a book?

>

Sublime

Why do lower elem. teachers plan 25 minutes to read the class a book?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I sometimes get instructions to read a picture book to students and the time on the teacher's plans is for 20/25 minutes. Even stopping to ask questions, which I don't usually do if it's just a fun, filler book, rarely takes more than 10 minutes. I always bring my own books for times like this, to fill that extra 10/15 minutes.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

I only know
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only know the answer to this b/c I was a reading tutor for a year in elem. The reason is...

First you look at the cover w/ the class. you have them find the title - you briefly discuss the photo on teh front and decide what we THINK the story is about. Then you read the title page - making sure to say the author is...the illustrator is (ask what an illustrator is and author and explain it if they don't know/remember) then take a picture walk. A picture walk is just looking at the pictures and trying to predict what is going on in each page. This is brief.

Then you read the story. (make sure you explain any words they dont' seem to get) At the end of the story you discuss if it was fiction or non fiction (real or made up) then ask them who the main characters were (who was story about) and then discuss what happened and did that match what they had predicted from the picture walk.

Anyway - that is how we had to do it as a reading tutor and that usually runs close to 30 min for even the short story books. (keep things brief and don't let story telling start happening during any questions or discussioN)

Lottalove

The reasons for a read aloud
Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

are so the students hear others demonstrating fluent reading and to expose them to books and vocabulary above their current reading levels--among other things.

The time is due to the what the PP stated above. I also work on, demonstrate or ptractice how to summarize, restate the main idea, identify characters, retell, sequence, id the setting and all the other things we want them to eventually do in their own reading. Those things do not happen automatically and have to be taught.

Last edited by Lottalove; 12-10-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Many reasons!
Look at the cover. Talk about the title. Talk about the author an sometimes the illustrator. Discuss how you read a book (front to back, left to right). Briefly discuss turning pages.

Look at the picture on the front cover, read the synopsis on the back if there is one. discuss what teh story may be about.

Read each page in a carefully modulated tone and rate so that students can hear you clearly. Allow for some time to regain control if it is a funny, scary, or 'gross' book. Ask questions, discuss pictures, clarify concepts as needed.

It really is a long process! :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

Reading to children...
Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

...is more than just a way to fill time! Reading to kids is one of the most important things a teacher can do, EVERY day! Walk by a first or second or third grade classroom and you are likely to see the teacher reading to enrapt students. But something seems to happen after that. As children become better able to read independently, teachers stop reading to their classes. I think this is a mistake. Children need good role models for reading. Hearing a teacher, a librarian, a volunteer, or other adult read aloud allows a child to hear the phrasing, inflections, and expressions that a good reader uses. How can you learn this if all you hear is your classmates stumbling through an oral passage? Reading aloud allows you to expose students to good literature. Picture books also expose the children to many styles of art. Listening to a story develops listening skills. Good listening skills will benefit a student for a lifetime. Listening to a novel develops a child's ability to imagine. In today's world of visual media, this is an underdeveloped skill in many children. You can do the same with younger children by occasionally reading the book without showing the pictures. Children like to read and reread stories they have already heard. I read to my class every day. The books I read aloud were the most popular choices during our sustained silent reading period and often were the books checked out on library day. And I have lost count of how many times I have reread The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett since my fourth grade teacher read it to our class. Reading a book that is just a bit beyond the children's reading level gives kids an insight into what is ahead. Hearing a good mystery, a science fiction or adventure story, or historical fiction opens up a new world of possibilities for children. For some kids, this can be the motivation to work on their reading so they can read these books themselves. Reading a chapter of a novel each day can lead to some good discussions, including working on skills such as prediction, character analysis, and the author's use of literary devices such as satire and flashback. One word of caution here: Don't overdo this. Sometimes just read a book for the pure enjoyment of it. Discuss it, of course. But you don't have to analyze every story to death. Reading a book related to a content area can sometimes get your point across more effectively than reading the textbook. For instance, reading a story set in a particular historical period can have the children feeling what it was like to live through that time. So...take the time to read to your classes and bring your own favorite books! Your enthusiasm will be contagious. As a sub, you can make a lasting impression on your kids. I've found that once I read to a class, we bond in a way, and their behavior for the rest of the day is remarkably better. It's as if we are somehow in synch, all because we've shared a few minutes lost in a book!

gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

fredflintston

Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's too bad she did not leave you better directions. In pre-k I can spend a good 15 minutes on a book (attention span being the biggest problem) and still have questions left to ask and strategies left to demonstrate. Even those fun, filler type books can be stretched to fit in the time limit.
fredflintston is offline   Reply With Quote

FunTeach76

Amen!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with you gottaread!!
I was told once by a visiting storyteller that it was obvious I read to my 3 fifth grade classes. It makes such a lifelong difference, I truly believe. And there is so much wonderful literature out there!
FunTeach76 is offline   Reply With Quote