snow day = didn't end up subbing for a teacher I was NOT looking forward to - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

snow day = didn't end up subbing for a teacher I was NOT looking forward to

>

RadSub19

snow day = didn't end up subbing for a teacher I was NOT looking forward to
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A few weeks ago I complained about taking a sub assignment for a learning support teacher who I did not really want to sub for. I need the money so I took the assignment. The teacher asked me to do her outside bus duty at the end of the day once so she could leave early. My boyfriend told me that where he lives teachers get a stipend for doing duties. It made him really upset that she asked me to do her duty.

Today was the day I was supposed to sub for her. There was a special ed. conference. All of the learning support teachers would be out! We had a snow day and school was canceled. I am scheduled to work at an elementary school in the same district tomorrow 1/2 day in the PM. I'm wondering if the secretary will call me in to sub for the conference (if they reschedule for tomorrow).

If she does call, I'm going to stand my ground and say NO, I'm already scheduled to work elsewhere. If they tell me I've been switched...I'm still going to stand my ground and say NO because I have already scheduled things to do before going in to work at 1130.

I'm trying to grow a backbone!

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingZfun

good for you!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That worked out fine, then! I'd have to bite my tongue before wanting to work on someone's room that was so rude!!

Just say "NO!"
teachingZfun is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

Wow!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've never heard of teachers getting stipends for duties such as bus duty or yard duty. When I taught full-time, we all were on a rotating schedule and it was just expected of us as part of the job.

The schools in which I sub, now, are the same way. The teachers are scheduled in a rotation for before school yard duty, recess duty, and bus duty. They don't receive extra compensation for that. On the other hand, if they are coaching a sport or doing things like advising groups like Student Council, they have received stipends in the past, but due to the budget problems, those stipends have been eliminated.

As for the "standing your ground"... absolutely! Be strong and stick to your guns!
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rowe

Stipend for Teacher Duty?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've never heard of a substitute teacher getting paid for performing a teacher's duty either. It is my understanding that it is a substitute's responsibility to perform all of the duties that the regular teacher would perform had she or he been present, which could include recess duty, bus duty, or lunch duty. Substitute teachers aren't paid for the number of duties that are performed. They are paid for filling in for a teacher from the time their students arrive until the time their students leave.

If a substitute teacher is not willing to perform the duties of a regular teacher, however, then I agree that he or she should not accept the assignment. However, not accepting assignments because of teacher duties significantly limits the number of sub jobs available to you.

The county in which I do most of my substitute teaching doesn't require its teachers to do recess or lunch duties, because this county has enough money in its budget to hire recess and lunch monitors, which gives regular teachers more time throughout the day to handle job responsibilities that are directly related to teaching, such as lesson planning and collaborating with other teachers. And of course, substitutes love this, because it gives them extra free time. However, I would not turn down a substitute assignment, because of having to do a duty, especially now that substitute jobs are so few and far between.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

well..
Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the whole story was that I was actually subbing for another teacher one day. This other teacher hunted me down and asked me to do her duty at the end of the day so she could leave early. I wasn't even subbing for her at the time so it was not MY duty at all haha! She knew that the teacher I was subbing for that day didn't have anything going on at dismissal, so she thought "hey, I could use that sub to do my duty!". In this district there was a big crackdown on teachers "leaving early" at the end of the day if they had a prep or a free period. They should take 1/2 days if they need to leave early.

I always do the duties I am required to do...BUT many times other teachers will help me out if I ask. Its hard to do duties when you have no idea what the teacher does!

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rowe

Old 12-11-2009, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for clarifying. Based on your side of the story, it seems to me this teacher was taking advantage of you and misusing your service as a sub. In that case, I wouldn't have agreed to this either.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote