Help

Substitute Teachers

Weird vibes during teacher interview

>

Kataqueens

Weird vibes during teacher interview
Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I interviewed for a teaching position that starts ASAP. During the interview, the charter school's Director informed me that there was a vacancy because the 11th grade English teacher decided midyear that she no longer wanted to be in the profession; there has been a sub in the class for a week, and "we want a certified TEACHER to take over the class." This was the first time I have been separated from the identity of a sub, and it felt odd.

While explaining that I still struggle with some classroom management, but that I know it'll be better when I have my own students, she smiled and said "Well, that's what you THINK, but it may not be TRUE." Huh? I know for CERTAIN that things will be better when I have my own students, and that's what keeps many of us subs who are looking for full-time employment going. On the plus side, at least she saw value in my substitute teaching experience.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

Older Sub

Older Sub

Weird Experience
Old 12-10-2009, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you think that was weird, I went on a job interview that I was totally qualified to do and after answering the question, "Do you think children should be allowed to fail?", I was told, "Well, you really seem to be a nice person." I won't tell you what I thought at that moment, but I really wondered exactly what the comment was supposed to convey. I have to say I feel totally discriminated against! Are teachers not supposed to be nice? Needless to say, I was not called for the job. I also sent a pleasant email to a school I had substituted at numerous times (there were 6 jobs I was qualified to do) and never even received an acknowledgement that the message was received. This was after I had faithfully updated my application online every year I applied. Go figure; it's not wonder teachers are looking elsewhere.

MissESL

Old 12-11-2009, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe the reason the teacher quit midyear has to do with the environment of the school. Maybe the kids are terrible. Maybe they were just trying to shake you up. I have no idea. But if you felt something funny and it bothers you enough, pass up on the job and try applying for others. You will get one without the vibes eventually.
Let us know what you decide!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went for a teacher aide interview once last year. Now granted I did not have much experience and didn't know what I was doing, but I made the best of it and tried to be as honest as I could. At one point I mentioned that I could be rather a quiet person, but I was not at all wimpy, I just didn't talk much. The two people who were interviewing me spent the rest of the interview telling me that I needed to tell myself that I had a spine if I wanted to have a spine. I explained that I was by no means sensitive in dealing with students, I just had a tendency to be silent. In fact, I am a complete firebrand when you get me going. But they would not listen. It was a pain. I felt like they were trying to misrepresent my image.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

What was the answer?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"...Do you think children should be allowed to fail?", I was told, "Well, you really seem to be a nice person."

Trick question.

Answer "yes" and you might be viewed "not motivated" enough to go the extra mile to push the kid or you're going to be a trouble maker when overridden by the principle to socially promote a failing kid.

Answer "no" and you might be viewed as too lenient and likely to fudge the results not to look like an ineffective teacher.

MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Older Sub...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You FELT totally discriminated against because you probably WERE.

About ten years ago my niece, after subbing awhile, got a regular HS teaching job
at age 50. She felt she barely got in under the age-discrimination wire, and only
because she knew math/science.

I'm over 70, and I wouldn't even think of trying for a regular teaching job, even
though I can outrun 80% of my upper-elementary kids on the track at PE, and
could probably outrun the same percentage of the new teachers my district hires!
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote