Help

Substitute Teachers

We have a sub today? Oh I know how we can use them! :-/

>

Amberlee

We have a sub today? Oh I know how we can use them! :-/
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sometimes as substitutes, we get 'used' more than we should be. Today after two days without work I finally had a half day morning job. The class and school were nice, but I was hoping to use my recess break to figure out where I was going after recess (since I was a 'floating sub'). There was an announcement on the PA system just before recess:
"All staff report to the staff room at recess time. That means everyone, including paras. Don't worry about your supervision."

I thought "Hmm I wonder what's going on" and was about to go the staff room when a teacher comes in- "Could you please put on this vest and go outside for supervision?" It wasn't really a question so much as a "this is what you are going to do" sort of thing. I hadn't seen anywhere posting whose turn for supervision it was.

Not only that but for recess, which was supposed to be 15 minutes, the bell didn't ring for 25 minutes. Being by myself out there I didn't feel too safe as I couldn't see all areas of the school at once, but I did my best. Turns out there was a staff birthday or something that they were all celebrating.

I don't like being used... how do I prevent this from happening next time?

Last edited by Amberlee; 12-11-2009 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

it's a tough call...you were pleasant enough to take over supervision. Next time something like this happens, you could kindly ask, "Is there going to be anyone besides me outside? because I don't feel comfortable being by myself with 100 kids running around."

and if they say, they don't know then decline and say, "sorry, I was planning to use this time to see where I'm needed next, please find somebody else." If the teacher who asked you to do this gives you a huff and puff and a nasty look just shake it off (like water off a ducks back)...

I'll reiterate---as a sub---we are basically treated as we're bottom of the barrel only to be used---but does this mean we like being treated like this? NO!!!! that means we need to grow a spine and stand up and say No, and don't be afraid of NOT being called back...so what!!!! it's one teacher (not the whole school) that's not going to call you. If it is a school attitude, then I would suggest you sub in other schools. Sometimes, and I read this a lot on this site, that subs "feel the pressure to say yes to everything and anything" and then come and vent...

this happened to me, I was subbing in an elem. school and WAS NOT assigned bus duty, I told my kids that I would be home by a certain time (because I knew this teacher didn't have bus duty---subbed for her before)...well, towards the afternoon, another teacher comes in and asks if I could do bus duty I answered, "Sorry, I have a sick child at home and I have to get home before my DH goes to work." Was it a lie? Yeah, but guess what??!!! I'm still subbing at the school; even though the teacher doesn't request me there are others that do....
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Unfortunatley...
Old 12-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't have any words of wisdom but I do feel your pain.

I agree with Yoohoo about the recess duty, you should not be out there all by yourself. I frequently have recess duty (seems like every teacher that I sub for magically has recess duty that day!) but I am always out there with at least one other person.

If that situation does happen again, you should ask for another staff member to be out there with you. What if something were to happen (sick child, hurt child, etc.)? There wouldn't be another adult that you could go to for assistance, or even to watch the rest of the children while you took care of the situation.

About the being "used" part. I feel this all of the time. Like you said, most of the time, you are not being asked as much as being told...you are expected to do whatever you are asked to do. I always say "yes" when I am asked to do something because subs that do not do what they asked are not "team players" and do not get called back. (We use AESOP here but more and more, the admins/teachers are calling subs that they like and just adding them into the system). If your not a favorite, then you don't get much work. It sucks but what are you going to do?
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

Just say no...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Tell them, sorry but I have an emergency license or I am not covered under union and I cannot do recess duty.

(Our dist. supports this as it is state law that there has to be at least one cert. teacher on the playground, and I am not cert.) Our dist. also flat out tells us not to do before and after school duties.

The ONLY time I cover recess is when the principal asks me to personally. Otherwise, I ASSUME they have switched duties (which they get paid extra for, and don't pass on to me!) and let them find coverage for themselves.

You get what you tolerate. Personally, too many kids get injured in our dist. on recess for me to take on the risk.
LynneLC

LynneLC

Recess Duty
Old 12-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You could say something like, "I will be happy to take the students out IF there is another adult out with me. Who will the other adult be?" If they say they're not sure, call the Office and ask who the other adult will be, and that you will wait until they come to your room or you see them outside.

I have Recess Duty EVERY time I substitute for an elementary school teacher because they all have Recess Duty every day. They used to only have it about 60% of the time, but then they cut over 20 Para positions, and give the teachers Recess Duty on a daily basis.

yoohoo

Old 12-13-2009, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

update---the school that I sub at that had the teacher asking me to perform recess/bus/morning duty---they now have it where ALL lthe teachers do duty on a rotating 3 week basis (not sure if they get paid for it) most probably...

but hey, I'm still there and NOT being used!!!

This is where I'll be skewered---we as subs DO NOT have to submit to this kind of treatment. If it's reasonable like "can you switch classes?" when this has happened to me I ask which classes they want me to cover---and if it's something like "babysitting some 8th graders" I say, No, I don't feel comfortable with that age group."

I have seen subs jump at every opportunity to cut each other down (very mean stuff can be heard flying in the teacher's lounge) and I stayed away from that mud and guess what??!!! They got squat for their efforts---didn't get hired/still doing the same job/not being called for long term jobs and still grumbling....

when we see ourselves as valuable and expect that same treatment from others then they start to treat you with respect (that can mean anything from not noticing to not bothering with you) but rest assured---inwardly, you did the right thing when you stand up for yourself.

Getting off the soap box now!!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Being 'used'
Old 12-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for your thoughts. I think the next time I will ask who else will be out there with me-- not in a rude way but letting them know someone else needs to be out there too. Gotta speak up more! I'm working on it!
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As far as I am concerned, you should be doing THAT TEACHER'S JOB. If she would have been going to the staff room, you go to the staff room. If she had morning duty, you do morning duty. If she had a two hour break well then darn it, you have a two hour break. Be firm that your job is to do the jobs that the TEACHER YOU ARE COVERING would have been responsible for doing. If that is NOT recess, then you are NOT to do recess.

Of course, I do not know what state you are in or the rules thereof, so it is definitely prudent to check. :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote