Help

Substitute Teachers

5th grade is hard because...

>

ciounoi

5th grade is hard because...
Old 12-14-2009, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Discipline can be an issue. Usually they are too old for class-wide behavior plans (move your stick!) but too young for middle school's slap-a-detention-on-'em. Behvaior at this time really seems like it's given out on an individual basis. Once midmorning recess is gone and I can no longer cut recess as a consequence, I'm kind of stuck.

Anyone had this experience? Any luck with discipline?

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been known to give free time ---usuaally at the end of the class (if they've earned it) how this happens is I explain my expectations and then write on the board F-R-E-E T-I-M-E (uusally the last 5 minutes of class)

during the lesson, if I'm interrupted --knock off one word
if I have to stop and redirect somebody's behavior --knock off one word
if somebody is rude/shouts out of turn without raising hands (if that's one of your expectations) ---knock off one word.

usually the kids that want the free time start to get up on those who don't want the free time and before the last two letters are knocked off---we've finished the lesson

depending on how long you have your kids, this could work---but you have to be consistent and NOT put back the letters you've erased---then it becomes a bargaining game (which it isn't)
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

my experiences...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love 5th graders! I rarely have discipline problems...but they do like to TALK! They also like to make comments about EVERYTHING!

I try to joke a little when they make comments and don't dwell on any silly things they might say. EXAMPLE "I know you all are very smart and know how to make people laugh but I want a GOOD answer. Who can help me out?" OR just say "NO"...call on the next person. Move on quickly to another person if you call on someone and they give you a silly answer.

Also with 5th and 6th graders...if I feel like the class is just plain ignoring me while I am teaching...I give them a taste of their own medicine. I stop teaching, go sit in the teacher's chair and turn my back to the class. I'll open a book, write on my note to the teacher and WAIT for the class to quiet down. After a few minutes of this, the kids will usually start quieting down and I ask..."Are you ready for me now?" This works like a charm!
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rowe

Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It truly depends on the school and students. I prefer to teach younger children, but I've substituted for fifth-grade classes that are very self controlled. Students in these classes were academically focused and independent, and they required very little discipline. Then, I've substituted for fifth-grade classes that are very dependent on teacher's guidance. These students tend to require constant reassurance in the form of discipine and/or guidance. For these classes, if there is not a behavior system described in the sub plans, I will usually make up my own behavior system based on the grade level and maturity of the students. I make sure that it is fair (I give warnings first), and I consistently follow it. But I mainly take the names down of misbehaving students, and I leave those names with the teacher. I make sure to give a short, but specific reason why a student's name and behavior is being reported.

Last edited by Rowe; 12-14-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree, 5th grade can be really hard if there is not a clear behavior system. I've noticed a lot of 5th grade classrooms are more student run, which is great, but for a Sub it just doesn't always work out so well! Because it's more student run, teachers don't leave me much detail about how the system works and how I can make sure it runs properly. Of course some classes do continue to run smoothly when I come in, but some classes take advantage because I have no idea what the class usually looks like. I just wish more teachers would explain their behavior system in their lesson plans.

YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

dalleo822

Class Points
Old 12-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I’ve noticed that 4th and 5th grade classrooms can be tricky when it comes to discipline. I always try to reward the positive behavior in the class. At the beginning of the day I make a note on the board that says “Class Points” and how many points the class needs to earn. At the end of the day if the class has reached the designated goal, the class will receive a small treat or get to play a game.
dalleo822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
I used to ignore discipline...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

...if the class started off well. (I teach mostly 4-6.) But too often that would bite
me in the butt because even good kids just have to test if they don't know what
the limits are, and I would have to crack down hard to get back in control.

I still don't announce any rules up front - the kids know how to behave - but the
FIRST time anyone is playing around or not paying attention, I calmly write his name
on the board and say he's lost 5 minutes of recess, adding a few words to make sure
they understand. (They always do.) Then I'll mention casually that if anyone
misbehaves AFTER recess they'll spend 5 minutes in the room at the start or the end
of their lunch playtime, and if it's after lunch they'll stay 5 minutes after school.
If they act up again, it's another 5 minutes.

Of course this can cut MY recess or lunch break short, but that's a small price to pay
for having a happy, well-behaved class.

That leaves only the few kids who are determined to act up no matter what. I just
send them to another teacher's room or to the office, depending on the particular behavior.

I pay no attention to the regular teacher's discipline system. I've asked teachers
if this is okay, and they couldn't care less as long as my way works.

I bring my guitar to class, and if the kids ask if they can hear a song, I say sure,
if our work's done on time. If the lesson plan permits, I'll read them a story or a
poem, with lots of Q and A as we go. (They love "The Highwayman.")
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote