Substitute Teachers

Elementary subs

>

newsubstitut

newsubstitut

Elementary subs
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently subbing in elementary and I was curious what grade you like to teach the best? worst? (K-5) So far I would have to say 3rd grade is the perfect grade for me! They are old enough to care about each other, the teacher, and have a good work ethic. I always go home feeling like I taught alot and that I did a good job! The worst would have to be K or 1st because I just have trouble getting their attention and getting them to stop talking. I usually feel terrible after I leave and tell myself taht I don't want to do it again...but I usually do later!=)

RadSub19

my favorites...
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

99% of the time I like teaching Kinder. I've had two kinder classes in my 3 years of subbing that were animalistic! But the majority are fun, cute and eager to learn.

I like 2nd grade, and 5th also.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 12-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love 3rd and 4th. Not too fond of Kinder, for the reasons listed by OP!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love 3rd too! I enjoy k-2 as well. 4th and 5th are the ones I don't take as often. I think I would like 4th and 5th more if it wasn't for 30+ students in each class.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
JamiePete

JamiePete

Old 12-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I guess I'm the exception. K is my least favorite grade. In fact, I had it today and I definitey didn't experience anything to change my mind about that. They have so much trouble staying quiet and following directions. Someone at some point always ends up in tears because they ended up last in line or another child said something "mean" to them, etc.

I like all the other grades very much but 4th and 5th are my favorites. I just prefer the older ones.

Sublime

favorites
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

2nd, 3rd the best. 1st graders are always difficult for me and usually K also. However, yesterday I had the sweetest K class. The teacher was there in the morning and when I asked her what her quiet signal was she looked surprised and said she didn't have one. They were wonderful!!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-10-2009, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I find the elem. levels difficult ---K is extremely hard because the kids are learning and they're still trying to share and take turns and wait but at the same time they're required to listen, follow multiple directions, work fast, be polite, remember their manners, etc.......

I love the 5-8 grades..these kids can be sassy but you have to treat them with sarcasm and they'll understand that you're ok...too hard and they get all crazy! Too soft and they get all crazy! It's about finding the middle ground---firm but nice....very tricky to pull off...

I notice if I talk to students you can feel out who are the ones who are receptive and the ones that just don't care---the ones who are receptive they will respond in kind---the ones that don't care just roll their eyes or give you that "you must be from Mars" look
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

3rd for me too :)
Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love 3rd grade! I student taught third grade and absolutely love when I get a chance to sub in that grade. I don't mind K-2, I always come home exhausted but I generally have fun in those grades. The students are still sweet and generally want you to like them.

4th-6th grade...it really depends... sometimes, I come home swearing I will never step foot in another 4th grade classroom If I had my own classroom, I don't think I would mind the older kids but day to day, they frustrate me because of their attitudes
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

collteach

Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love 3rd-5th grade. However, I am appalled by the class sizes in those grades lately. I am not sure WHY so many states/districts think it is ok to limit K-2 and middle/high school classes, but 4th and 5th graders can all be crammed in like sardines. I think that the bureaucrats have NO IDEA how important those 2 years are. I taught 4th grade for 4 years, and I can tell you that, yes...they can be difficult, but they can also be a lot of fun. I think the wide range of activities they are interested in makes it easy to plan awesome lessons. One day, we could be reading picture books and talking about how the authors use vivid verbs and great adjectives, and they would enjoy the book more than young students. The next day, we could be having a very moving, in-depth discussion about the Civil Rights Movement. Anyway, off on a tangent here, but those grade levels can be awesome.
collteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rowe

Prefer to teach Younger Children
Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Regardless of children's grade levels, their behavior at school truly depends on the way they're reared at home and their attitudes and thinking about school and education in general. I have found, however, that as some students mature, they develop an urge to test limits, their fear of adults and consequences diminishes, and they become less interested in school and learning. And in turn, this places a lot of pressure on teachers to motivate students to learn. As students mature, they can also be verbally abusive and very insensitive. And to me, for the peanuts, lint, and some change that substitutes are paid, dealing with this behavior is not worth it.

I cannot stand being disrespected. I don't tolerate disrespect from anyone. And when I teach students in upper grades, I find it very emotionally consuming to deal with students with discipline problems, because I am so intolerant of disrespect.

Young children listen, and they will show respect for adults. That way, we can get a lot more work accomplished, and we can spend less time disciplining and responding to talk backs. And for a teacher to use sarcasm in response to children who are being sarcastic doesn't make sense to me, because you are the teacher. It seems using sarcasm against a sarcastic child means to get on a child's level. Children come to school to receive their education, to respect one another, to respect school property, and to respect the adults. A child has 1 time to get sarcastic with me, and they will face consequences. I strictly and consistently follow the regular teacher's behavior management system. Clips will be moved, colors will be changed, recess will be taken, or names will be recorded for misbehavior.

Last edited by Rowe; 12-11-2009 at 06:12 AM..
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

3rd & 4th
Old 12-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

3rd & 4th for me.

Not so needy as K-2nd and not so full of themselves as 5th-6th
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

tyekayleen

Old 12-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Just an FYI if you sub for Kinder or First again - What I do when I need to get their attention is a clapping pattern followed immediately by putting their hands on their head so they STOP working on whatever it is that they're working on. Otherwise, they will not pay attention to you at all. If kids don't follow this I will say, "Oh whoops! Looks like a few students forgot what that meant!" Smile and do it again! They'll catch on. Trust me. It is a LIFESAVER when subbing for the younger grades. I even did it with 2nd graders because they always, always, always want to keep working! Hope this helps!

I love K-3 and have actually come to really enjoy 6th & 7th grade too through subbing. I swore up and down when I started subbing saying that I would never teach middle school... and since that is where the jobs have been available - I've learned to love them! Definitely a very different experience though from Kindergarteners who LOVE you! haha
tyekayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
StarterSub

StarterSub

Agree with yoohoo
Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just began to sub this fall, but I agree with yoohoo. I feel that most teachers love the elementary level K-4, but I am having a difficult time with classroom management in these grades. I feel that I don't want to be too tough on these students, but a few times I've had moments of classroom choas that shouldn't have occured.

I love the 6-8 grades and I feel most comfortable in these classrooms. I agree 100% with yoohoo- I've found that if you are sarcastic, and that these students are able to trust you.... and you can pick out the trouble makers and deal with them accordingly, you have them. I've found that using humor, and being "firm but fair" with this age group almost always works.

When I talk to friends who are teachers and subs they think that I'm crazy for liking this age group, but yesterday a teacher told me that we all have different personalities, and our various personalities fit in with the different age groups. I thought that this was interesting, and helped me to understand why I was different from many of my friends who preferred the students at the elementary level.