Help

Special Education

Pacing Calendars and Lesson Plans

>

checkerjane

Pacing Calendars and Lesson Plans
Old 08-17-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíll preempt this with I love the teachers in my building, and for the most part they were all super supportive and understanding my first year. But, Iíve asked three times (Remind message, in person, and e-mail) for a grade level pacing calendar copy and access to view lesson plans on Google drive.

Out of six grade levels, Iíve only gotten two pacing calendars. Out of 13 teachers, Iíve only gotten access to view two lesson plans.

I was a gen ed teacher, and I know the beginning of the year is nuts. And me asking this is just one more thing for them to do, but itíd be nice if theyíd help me out a bit. Iím tempted to ask the principal to send out an e-mail, but then I feel like a snitch.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have this issue all of the time too- so frustrating. Dealing with so many other teachers it my least favorite part of the job. It's pulling teeth to get anything.

Have you started pull out services yet? Maybe you can say that you're not able to start services until you have the information? That would be motivating to some, but others don't like the kids being pulled at the beginning of the year anyway. I always say I could start pull outs on any day and someone is mad about it.

I personally wouldn't have the P send out the email UNLESS the P (or someone else) is on your back about you getting things started or not being aligned to what's going on in the classroom if you've already started. Then I would not hesitate to say, "I totally agree, I've asked for this information 3 times using different methods and still have not received it."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iíve already started pulling kids, which is why itís so frustrating. Last week was the first full week, so I was mostly assessing. I made my lesson plans for the coming week yesterday, and it felt like a shot in the dark. My P isnít on my back about it, but she doesnít know about the issue, either.

dutchgirl

Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh man, That would be so difficult for me to get for you! The pacing is established by my district, but itís just which standards in each quarter. Lesson plans - ouch. With no curriculum, Iím constantly in a state or research and change! I teach an elective in middle school, so that is probably different, but. . . I understand how important it is to you, but can see why youíre having a hard time getting it! When there was a clear curriculum and a teacher could say next page or chapter, it was easy. Not anymore
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-18-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Grade levels create their own pacing calendars together, and theyíre done within the first week of school, per district policy. We share all of our lesson plans in a folder in Google Drive with our principal, and they just have to add me as a person to share them with.

Like I said, I was a gen ed teacher and know itís one more thing right now. Iím expected to align what I teacher my pull out kids with what theyíre teaching in class. Itís hard to do that if I donít know.

teabreak

Student needs
Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I guess until the teachers can get you their pacing guides and lessons, you just need to pull the kids when it works for you to meet their IEP minutes.

It is busy at the beginning of the year and the teachers may still be trying to figure out their schedule. If you have a slot for Johnny at 10 a.m. and you don't have the schedule for Johnny's room, you just need to get him as you are up against federal guidelines to meet his IEP minutes. Sort it out as you all get going into these first couple of weeks.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-18-2019, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I guess until the teachers can get you their pacing guides and lessons, you just need to pull the kids when it works for you to meet their IEP minutes.

It is busy at the beginning of the year and the teachers may still be trying to figure out their schedule. If you have a slot for Johnny at 10 a.m. and you don't have the schedule for Johnny's room, you just need to get him as you are up against federal guidelines to meet his IEP minutes. Sort it out as you all get going into these first couple of weeks.
I’m already pulling my kids to meet their service times. I started last week (the first full week of school). I’m asking for pacing calendars and lesson plans to help align what they’re hearing/doing in the gen ed room with what I’m working on with them.

dutchgirl

Old 08-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ahh, just adding you to something already done should be simple! Iíd want to stand right next to them while they add you! Hope it happens soon.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Lesson plans pacing guides
Old 08-19-2019, 11:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Have you gotten them yet? If not, cc the principal in your email requests. Also, go tell them in person that you need this info asap.

It should be easy to share lesson plans. If they have to turn them in you should get a copy. Google Docs would work. Pacing guides are usually online. Ask the teachers where you can locate the info. If you donít have access tell them to email you a copy.

Itís not like youíre asking that much.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

I get it
Old 08-20-2019, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Iím already pulling my kids to meet their service times. I started last week (the first full week of school). Iím asking for pacing calendars and lesson plans to help align what theyíre hearing/doing in the gen ed room with what Iím working on with them.
I get what you are saying, I may not have been clear (I've done that a few times).

I guess just keep asking them for the pacing calendars and lesson plans but continue to pull the kids so you don't get in a bind. Maybe go into their rooms when you know they have planning this week and ask them again in person with a reminder via email if you don't get them. After doing something like that, I would send an email to them with a CC to admin. I'd hate to have to go that far, but if you need to then do it.

I was just worried that you would get in a bind further if you weren't pulling kids, regardless of if it was convenient for the teacher or not. You can't plan your schedule without their information.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 09-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Do you have team leaders or something like that ? Curriculum folks? Ask them?..
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote