Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Southwest Question/Vent

>

Haley23

Southwest Question/Vent
Old 09-01-2019, 03:09 PM

I found a good deal on flights for Thanksgiving and booked last month. I always fly direct because with stops/plane changes there is a significantly higher chance of having to deal with delays or cancellations, especially in the winter.

I just got a notice that my itinerary was updated and my return flight is no longer a non stop. Not only do I have to go through Chicago, which I hear is one of the worst airports, but I also have to change plans. My 3 hour direct flight is now a 6 hour trip with a layover. I'll also be getting back into my current city so late (if everything is even on time) that I won't be able to take public transportation, which is what I usually do to save money over ubering or parking at the airport.

I looked on the website and it appears for whatever reason there are no direct flights on the day I had originally booked. There is one for the next day, which I could make work, but the price of just that one flight is almost as much as my entire round trip ticket.

Do I have any recourse here? Is there any point in spending time calling/being put on hold for forever to see if they'll let me get that next day flight without charging me the difference? I presume they'll tell me I can take it or leave it and offer a refund if I want one, but anything else I find at this point is going to be hundreds of dollars more. Just wondering if anyone has any experience trying to negotiate this. I've previously had excellent customer service with Southwest and it's in fact why I use them over other airlines. It seems I should get something for them suddenly doubling my trip time.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-01-2019, 03:14 PM

Call and ask. My guess is no, but it doesn’t hurt to,ask.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 09-01-2019, 03:19 PM

From what I understand they’re still having scheduling issues caused by the grounding of so many 737s. Not sure how much can be done but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to call and ask.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-01-2019, 03:34 PM

I’ve had great customer service from SW so it wouldn’t hurt to try. Are you by chance a rewards member? That may help as well.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Happened to us
Old 09-02-2019, 01:52 AM

And we didn't even get a notice..we just happened to check. Luckily it was early enough that there were seats left on a direct flight the same day. It was a cheaper tcket?! but they wouldn't refund the difference BUT I bet tbey will put you on the other flight the next day. Let us know.

Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 09-02-2019, 03:19 AM

I would call and ask. Last winter my flight kept getting delayed when I was already at the airport. They gave all the passengers a $100 voucher to be used within 1 year. My husband had called complaining because he was picking me up and now it was an inconvenience being so late and he got a $60 voucher. Tell them you would like some sort of compensation. Maybe they will give you a voucher and you just need to book it within the year.
Good luck.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-03-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
From what I understand they’re still having scheduling issues caused by the grounding of so many 737s.
I heard this on the news yesterday.

You are less likely to get any kind of voucher that happens as a result in f last minute changes or delays.

Definitely call since there should be a price difference between non-stop and what you were changed to. Befor you call do a little research and see what the difference in price typically is between a non-stop and a 1 stop with a plane change. I’m sure the prices are all over the board but it would help to have a concrete example.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Update
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM

I called today and it was very easy to get my flight switched to the direct flight the next day. I did not have to pay the difference even though that flight cost significantly more. Good thing my plans were flexible. I am happy that they are continuing their good customer service! I used to fly Frontier all of the time because it tends to be much cheaper, but the service is crap.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 09-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Glad it worked out for you, I’ve always had good experiences with SW service
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote