National Board Certification

AYA ELA Component 2 Question

>

MntnTeach

AYA ELA Component 2 Question
Old 09-05-2019, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all-
I'm hoping to get some hive mind help regarding Component 2 of National Boards, specifically for the AYA ELA certification.

- Can materials for component 2 be from different units, or would it be a better decision to have all 8 student work samples from the same unit? The directions are not clear on this, but in the general directions they say that 1 (not both) of your comp 3 videos can be from comp 2, which makes it seem like they're assuming that all comp 2 materials will be from one unit.
- I'm struggling with how to show growth in each student when the work I'm analyzing will be different medium/ styles? For example, if one of their writing samples is argumentative and the other is creative (in order to show that I teach a variety of styles, like the directions seem to recommend) then how can you compare? Seems like a slightly apples to oranges comparison.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

MntnTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I'm struggling with how to show growth in each student when the work I'm analyzing will be different medium/ styles? F
C2 isn't about showing growth--it's about differentiation. You need to showcase how you differentiated literacy instruction (NOT JUST WRITING) for two students.

I hope this helps clarify your process a bit. Best luck.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sarah1748

C2
Old 09-09-2019, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I chose some of the work samples to be the "same" assignment to show how I differentiated for the students. And then for some of the work samples, I chose different assignments/units to show how I worked with each student on goal setting and helped those students reach those goals with those assignments. My assignments ranged from different points in the school year as well. Basically, I went in depth about how my knowledge of these two students helped me hone the assignments to best fit their needs. Good luck! C2 was a doozy to wrap my head around.
Sarah1748 is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For your first bullet point, I can't imagine trying to do all 8 submitted student responses from the same unit. I supposed you could, but I'm not sure why you would. That would have to be a huge unit, I should think. Whether or not it's "better" to use the same unit depends mainly on one question: to what degree are you showing your ability to differentiate instruction with the units/lessons you choose? I certainly couldn't, but we all have different strengths and abilities for unit design.

I used the same 2 students for all work samples I submitted.

I used 1 unit for both students for print, 1 unit for both students for nonprint, 1 unit for both students for writing sample 1, and 1 unit for both students for writing sample 2. Again, that's what worked best for me based on the way I design units and the way I teach. It's not the same for every teacher.

For your second bullet point, I'm not sure how to answer. All I can say is what I found to be the best way for me personally to show differentiation. I had both students respond to the same prompts (one was a response to a prompt about a novel, the other was an essay on cultural research they did for a different novel), and I explained / provided evidence of differentiated types of scaffolding for each student to show growth through multiple drafts. Again, that's just me. Other teachers will have different ways of approaching C2 that are equally as successful or more successful than what I did. I got a 3, btw.

Hope that helps.
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote