National Board Certification

Colleague has ELA license but hired as ESL

>

greenseahorse

Colleague has ELA license but hired as ESL
Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm asking for a colleague:

She is hired at our school under ESL but teaches ELA full time. She has both an ESL and ELA license.

Would she just do the ELA discipline for NBCT?

Thanks in advance.

greenseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

I'm doing ESL certification
Old 09-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it depends on her teaching strengths&years of experience in teaching ELA/ESL. Also, she can look at both certificate area requirements, and see which area seems less difficult for her (although all certificate areas have the same requirements for some components).
Also, if she's hired as ESL and she has a mixture of ESL students and mainstream students in her class, I suppose she can choose either certification.
minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So far as I know, NBs really doesn't care which cert candidates pick so long as they can fulfill the requirements for the components.

Some states/districts provide stipends and have a stipulation the teacher must be teaching in the same area as the certificate to get the stipend. I'd recommend your colleague read the component directions, determine which cert area she can easily complete, and verify any stipend trickiness.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NBCoach

Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

She should choose the certificate that matches most closely what she is currently teaching.
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 09-14-2019, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

as long as she has access to a class of students with the appropriate population for the component, she can certify in either area. if she's teaching ELA full time, does she have access to a sufficient ESL population?

also, in my state, you can certify in any NBPTS area and get the bonus even if you teach full time in a different subject. i assume that varies by state, though, so she might want to check that out if bonus $$$ matters/applies to her.

my friend teaches ELA in high school full time, but wanted to do NBPTS certification in social studies because he plans to switch over to social studies in the next few years.

he chose to use a colleague's SS class during his prep hour, and it worked out fine for him. he's currently NBPTS certified in SS, but still teachers full time ELA.

WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote