Help

Substitute Teachers

Cancelling at the.very.last.minute

>

Kataqueens

Cancelling at the.very.last.minute
Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I picked up a job for this morning last week, only to have the Sub system call me 5 minutes ago to cancel the assignment. This teacher had been out last Monday as well, but the job was offered to another person. Do you think the teacher made a mistake about days she'd be needing off? I thought it was unusual that she was taking off right before Thanksgiving break and immediately after.

On the plus side, I had a bad experience at this MS school last time I was there (see post about students throwing markers in art class) and I was able to call back a H.S. that had called ten minutes prior to this school's cancellation. So I'll take the trade-off any day! (as long as I'm not jinxing myself)

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

at least they called you!!! How about shoiwing up to work; getting your assignment; going to the room and finding out theirs no lesson plan left...WHY??"?"???? because the teacher's conference was CANCELLED!!!!

and they forgot to tell the secy.....Welcome to the club!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That has happened to me before. Luckily I was able to grab another job at that point, though.

I sometimes sub at a preschool (run by the district). VERY OFTEN I will take a job and the secretary will call me 5 minutes later to tell me that my services are no longer needed. I know that they have an unofficial building sub (I think she's a retired teacher), I'm not sure why they put it on AESOP if they don't actually want the job to be taken.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

to add to your post---I picked up a job; cancelled my other part time preschool job and guess what======!!!! They freakin' cancelled on me 15 minutes later!!! WTFH!!!!

I could've been working tomorrow and pulling some $$$....arrrrgghh!!!! the troubles with subbing....

lovetosub

I showed up
Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for an assignment at a HS, only to be told by the secretary that she had placed a sub request "in case someone didn't show." A big sporting event was occurring the next day, and she figured someone would call out. Well, no one did. No assignment, no pay, nada. I had taken this assignment because it was local, 5 minutes away, versus nine other assignments offerred at a HS 20 minutes away. Go figure. Oh, and I learned my lesson....

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

update.....
Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I ended up landing a full day sub job tomorrow in MS...YAYYYY!!!!

red leaf

lovetosub,
Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

what did you say to the secretary? I can understand mistakes in posting for a sub, but this one takes the cake.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

In our district
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

subs get paid if they've been called. If the job is canceled for some reason, they still get paid because they could have taken a job somewhere else. One time I got a thing for jury duty, and asked if I should go ahead and ask for a sub. I was told no, because the trial could be canceled at the last minute, and they didn't want to pay the sub unless they were needed.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I showed up once, last year, for a half-day afternoon assignment. The teacher I was going to sub for was walking up to the office and asked, "Who are you here for?" I responded, "I'm here for you!" She gave me the strangest look and said she didn't need a sub.

So, we went into the office, and apparently she had been gone the previous afternoon and a mistake had been made by the secretary. She was putting it into Aesop and was going to assign a sub, but it got posted for the next day before she could do anything. She got distracted and by the time she got back to the computer, I had already grabbed it.

The secretary was VERY apologetic and assured me that if they needed a sub, she'd call me first before they put it online. She called me a day later with a full-day assignment, and I was called numerous times after that. I could have gotten really upset and made a big deal about it, but I tried to have a positive attitude (plus I live right down the street from this school, so it really wasn't a big deal). I also could have pushed the "getting paid" issue, but it all worked out and I got a number of jobs later.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

red leaf
Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I kept my mouth shut, which if you knew me would understand how hard that it is. I did mention that I had turned down several jobs to take this one, and the secretary, who I like, apologized profusely. I didn't complain because I like teaching at that school; it's only 5 minutes away and my kids attend there. She's made it up to me since and has called me, when I've been available, more often than not to sub there.

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

I'm gratified to hear
Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

that the secretary was suitably apologetic!! I guess for her in the moment it seemed like a good idea. And even just saying you turned down other jobs probably was all that needed to be communicated.

ollie5

At least you got called!
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I found a full-day assignment, on Aesop last week, for today. I drove snow covered streets to arrive at the school on time [7:15 am], and when I walked into the office the lovely secretary said "sorry, the job was cancelled."

I should have known better than to accept this job. Why? Because this school district that uses Aesop has a continuous habit of "Bait and Switching" their subs. The Substitute Coordinator will post a job, then at the last minute [usually when you are in the school parking lot waiting to go into the office], the same Substitute Coordinator will call you on your cell phone telling you that "the job is cancelled, but she does have a 2 hour job here, or an aide job here for an hour."

So, be glad that you even received a phone call.
ollie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

ollie5
Old 12-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Seems to me that the approach the sub coordinator is taking should be 'complained' about to the powers that be....doesn't sound like you have anything to lose. This bait and switch habit definitely takes the cake!!