Help

Substitute Teachers

What does a floating sub do?

>

gottaread

What does a floating sub do?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am signed up at an elementary school (K-5) for Wednesday as a floating sub. When you float, is the day easier (because you aren't necessarily expected to control the class and teach all day) or is it harder because you are going in and out of classes all day and have no time to get your footing? This is a new school for me so I don't know any of the kids.

gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, it depends on the time you are in each classroom and how that time is structured for you. You could be walking into a classroom mid-lesson and the teacher has to leave immediately for a scheduled meeting. That could be chaotic for some kids.

You might be with the kids 30 minutes or an hour. Sometimes you know ahead of time, but be flexible. No matter what the situation is, you will need to 'control' the classroom environment. After all, you are helping to maintain consistency of the learning. As well, you could very easily have a fire drill and need to get the kids out in an orderly and safe fashion!

Floating subs do have challenges, and sometimes kids will try to take extra advantage of the situation. But then again, you're not in the class long enough for them to step out of line if they're busy working on an assignment when you walk in. Hopefully, the teachers will have prepped their students ahead of time!

Have fun!

LindaR
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I was a float a few times, I did NOT have a fun time. The timing was terrible. At one I came in at recess after lunch and nobody wanted to end recess... this was the time I had a kid run out of the room and hide from me...

However, it is also true that the two schools I floated at are known for having a lot of behavioral issues. So that could be it too...
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

depends on you....
Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

if you're the type of person that likes change then you'll do fine...if not...then be ready for upheavals...

like the other posters said, sometimes you won't be in a class more than 1 hours...this has happened to me a couple of times (they'll put on AESOP they need somebody for coverage) and then I'll come in and float among 3-5 classrooms.

it's been nice because most times I have had another f/t sub take over for the regular teacher and have not had to do much except to help on the periphery....
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rowe

A Floating Substitute Teacher...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A floating substitute teacher substitute teaches for multiple teachers for a limited amount of time. Usually 30 minutes is spent in each class, and then you're off to substitute for another teacher for the same period of time. Often times, a school will need substitutes to float from one classroom to another in order to conduct meetings with parents or a department of teachers.

Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote