Desperately In Need of Encouraging Words and Ideas! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Desperately In Need of Encouraging Words and Ideas!

>

dalleo822

Desperately In Need of Encouraging Words and Ideas!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I graduated with my MAT in Early Childhood/Elementary Ed. in 2008. I have yet to find a classroom to call my own and have been subbing for the last year and a half. So far this year, Iím averaging about 10 hours a week subbingÖthis is SO discouraging. Iím afraid to leave the teaching profession all together, but subbing just isnít paying the bills. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any way that I can pick up more subbing jobs?

dalleo822 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I knew! I'm in the same boat, except I've been subbing for nearly 3 years.

Are there other districts nearby that you could sub in, also? If you're relying on random calls, that will increase your odds. Also--and I'm not particularly good at this part, but it's what we should be doing--don't be shy about networking when you do get in at a school. Eat in the staff room. Introduce yourself to the teacher next door. Leave cards with everyone, and make sure the secretary has one! (You do have cards, don't you? If not, make some up with your name, your preferred grades, as much contact information as you feel comfortable with, your request number, any special skills you might have--for instance, mine say, "iYo hablo espanol!"--etc. I've found it's actually cheaper to order them through Vista Print than to buy the templates and print your own, and it looks a whole lot more professional, too!)

Good luck!
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is tough!! I am not an elementary person (although I would be in a heartbeat if I had any hope of finding a job) and I hear that it's really hard to get a job. A lot of the certified-but-subbing people around here (philadelphia suburbs) supplement by working for intervention services and tutoring. You might also want to look into charter schools and private schools if you have not already.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Simple Simon

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am both totally new to this game and from a different country, so it's hard for me to comment. All I can offer is that the subs (we call them relief teachers) that do well here seem to work along the lines that grave_def mentioned, and I think these apply to almost all forms of work of business. Networking is vital. So is making a good impression. Here in New Zealand, schools tend to want to get the subs they are familiar with and who have proven themselves to be performers (and that often includes being willing to pitch in with the extra-mural stuff as well).

I have to say, it's really interesting to hear some of the comments here about work being hard to find. Many newly graduate teachers here are struggling to find work too. It's a lot more competitive out there than I think under-grads are being told as part of the induction and training, and I think that's unfortunate.
Simple Simon is offline   Reply With Quote