What is it with subbing for Spanish and student behavior? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

What is it with subbing for Spanish and student behavior?

>

Kataqueens

What is it with subbing for Spanish and student behavior?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Covered for the Spanish teacher at the MS today; VERY nice guy; he saw me in the hallways on Monday and asked if I could take his classes for him. Today didn't go well at all, and I feel like I let him down. I know we all have bad days, but most of my days are either fair or pretty good. However, when I cover for a Spanish class, the students are always terrible.

I'm trying to figure out why, and I thought of the following:

1) Spanish fluency varies greatly among students. Some may understand everything, while other students are totally confused. The latter students like to pair up with those who know more, and this often means standing and loud chatter.

2) Spanish emergency lessons are almost always worksheets of some kind, and are rarely, if ever, differentiated between levels. Today's "emergency Spanish lesson plan" said that on the bottom of the worksheet, and some students pointed it out to me. I lose some credibility, because it looks like something that was printed out carelessly. And while the 8th graders understand at least SOME of the things on the sheet, the 7th graders were at a loss.

3) This is not the usual kind of work that students do, and they don't see it as necessary. See above. If the students don't understand something, they know it wasn't taught to them, and therefore don't see the work as something that's mandatory. How can you be graded for something that you didn't learn yet?

I let the teacher know that it was a very stressful day for me, especially since I prodded students to do the work. In two of the classes, the students who were asked to pass out the worksheets utterly refused. In another, one boy repeatedly poked holes in his paper with a pencil. Fortunately, I was able to grab a helpful student in the last class to help me clean up. He was acknowledged in my note to the teacher, and I hope he gets some kind of reward (they hand out Gold Cards to students for exceptional work or behavior ).

I left today in a flush. I really don't know how much more I can do this without shoving my head in an oven. Really hoping for a profitable year ahead with a nice classroom.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

hmm...
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like subbing for foreign languages! A few foreign language teachers I know will leave a TON of work for them to do and the students know that they will be in deep trouble if the teacher hears they didn't work for the sub. I've never "run out" of work for the students to do in these classes.

I usually let the students work together on the worksheets that are left...like you said, the students are at varying degrees of fluency so they can help each other out. Tell them they may choose a partner or work in threes. They may not get up and leave their group unless they are sharpening a pencil or leaving to use the bathroom. When they have finished working, tell them they can work on homework from another class, or just read a book. If they don't have a book, sign them a pass to the library

If students are in their seats, with their books open and the paper in front of them...and they are not walking aimlessly around the room or bothering others...I'm happy!

If kids poke holes in their paper/destroy their papers...but are not bothering you or others who are actually working...I'd let it go...but leave a note telling the teacher who was not doing work.

Don't ask any older kids to pass out papers for you. Do it yourself. The older kids don't like to volunteer haha. I always introduce myself to the class, tell them what their teacher left for them. Then I ask if the teacher assigns work that isn't finished with the sub as homework. Then I tell them they may work in groups, then pass out papers etc....you get my drift

My philosophy anymore is "I'm only here for a day, there's only so much I can do."
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

you sound like what happened to me....
Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I once subbed in a Spanish class in a MS and it was a total DUD!!! The students don't respect you if you don't have a good grasp of the language because if they have questions you better know how to answer. After a while, IDK (I don't know) doesn't fly and the kids feed off of that.....never went back (literally, I stay away from those assignments).

so went to a different MS, and tried my hand at French....total disaster!!!! Like you said, there are varying degrees of understanding and if the teacher hands out assignments for subjects not covered..welllll...deep S%%%% for the sub (which happened to be me)...the kids just overran the class and I was helpless because I couldn't get them focused!!!!! (let's just say, I've learned my lesson---stay away from languages)
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

RadSub, I DID tell the students that they can work in groups, but apparently that didn't cut it. They were atrocious. This was THE FIRST TIME I have had students on this level refuse to pass out papers. I wish people would stop pigeonholing the older kids as not wanting to volunteer for anything. I just chalked it up to them being a bunch of rude and entitled youth.

I'm in a foul mood right now; I didn't get my Master's degree to hand out worksheets and tell kids to sit down and be quiet. I can't wait until I no longer have to do this, and when I have someone cover my class, I will warn my students that if I get any bad reports, there will be heck to pay!

RadSub19

Kataqueens...
Old 12-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always just pass out the papers in middle/high school to make my life easier haha! But then again you teach in the city...and I teach at rural, small town schools. Elementary school kids eagerly volunteer, but in my experiences, the older kids just slink down in their seats if I ask anyone to do anything

I'm pretty fed up with subbing too. This is my third year subbing and I've seen countless people in the district who subbed for MONTHS and get full time positions. None of us subs like it when we get "used" by faculty and staff and disrespected by students.

I'm in grad school now, getting my master's in library science. I'm out of the teaching profession as soon as a finish that degree. I'm not subbing to get a teaching job anymore...I'm just doing it to make $$$.

Kataqueens

I apologize
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I didn't mean to sound snappy to you, RadSub; it was just THAT BAD of a day. I know what's expected of me as a substitute, and I come on here to vent or share ideas and good experiences. I know some people are satisfied with being a sub and enjoy the different experiences, while others are waiting for their own classrooms. I guess you can tell by my frustration that I belong to the latter of the two kinds of subs on here. I didn't mean any offense to anyone who is happy as a sub.

Kataqueens

An addendum
Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Library Science can be a lucrative career pick, especially in university and medical libraries. I have a friend who almost signed on to a job in Richmond, Virginia. I guess you know in your mind that you;re making a good career choice. =) If I had to start all over, I wouldn't have gotten my Master's in Education; it was from the advice and prodding of a good friend that I did. I was actually going to pursue Library Science!

RadSub19

Kata...
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

thats ok! I didn't think you were being snippy! I've had some days like that where I just want to crawl under a rock and cry because of how horribly I've been treated. I totally understand. No one deserves to go through some of the things that us subs tolerate.

And with the library degree...I worked in my college's library for 4 years as a work study student. My boss urged me to go to library school again and again because she knew how much I loved the job. I said NO I'm going to teach! Fast forward 3 years later, still subbing...no chance of getting a job...I realize that teaching is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I used to jump out of bed in the morning to work at the library.People appreciated me and what I did for them. I love helping people who want to be helped...don't get much of that in school

I dread getting up to face the day teaching. And yes...the money is a big part of it too. With a couple of years experience, I could START making 50-70k with a Masters in Lib. Sci. I had an interview at a medical school library here in PA a year back. The job was a library assistant in their mostly digital library. Just the assistant job was paying $20 per hour!!!!!

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Been There, Kataqueens...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I once accepted a 3-day assignment for HS Spanish in a school full of latino kids
totally fluent in Spanish. The teacher, a nice guy, knew I was an anglo who was
nowhere near fluent in Spanish, but he said I didn't need to TEACH the class, just
be there while the kids did their assignments...

Yeah, right. One big boy immediately and loudly said I had no right to be there.
Not content with disrespecting me for not speaking Spanish, he started demanding
to know about my military experience, which I said was none of his business. At
first I attributed his attitude to simple racism, but then I remembered reading
an article by a latino sub, fluent in Spanish, whom the kids put down because he
didn't have the local ACCENT!!! #$&*%!! Those little a******* wouldn't have
respected me if I'd had a Ph.D. from the University of Madrid.

I told the school to find someone else to cover the class for the next 2 days.

Last edited by Ball Three; 12-12-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That is beyond ridiculous; I hope you mentioned this in your notes to the regular teacher. I think he owes you an apology on behalf of his students, or at least get a drill sergeant in there the next time he's absent! Or maybe that's who they assigned to the class for the remaining two days; those kids need to be put in their place! I've always been fascinated with how entitled and rude some students are to guest teachers; it's as if they're living out their dreams of being the cool punk without risk of getting in trouble (yeah right!) Little do they know that we can get names, which are sent right back to their teacher!

lovetosub

Now I'm nervous
Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I signed up to sub two days in January for a Spanish class. Hm. Maybe have to rethink that....

When I've subbed in the past for language classes (know a little in French and enough Spanish to get me in trouble), I've seen both sides. The kids who dont' listen or don't respect me because I can't speak the language as well as they do, and the kids who do the work, don't hassle me about my inexperience or knowledge, and are respectful. I chalk it up to how the regular teacher approaches classroom management.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

in our dist...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

most of our students already speak spanish and so they think it is an easy A. Turns out they may speak it, but they can't write it. They think it is stupid and are usually horrible for their reg. teacher (who I had in school too and she has very little class mgmt) So i generally don't take that class. Our school no longer offers french, latin, or german (as they did when I was in it b/c students dropped out when the dist. decided no more european trips to practice their languages.) sigh

I do however do the 3 levels of ESL. I LOVE ESL. Might give that a try, it's different. The kids really want to learn it so they pay attention better.

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Kataqueens, Thank You...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...for your words of support. However, while I was never literally a drill sergeant,
I am a former Marine Corps firearms instructor and a former Seattle police officer.
My first day as a sub was in an ALTERNATIVE HS in that same town, and the tough
boys with gang colors hanging out of their pockets treated me fine, once they
found I had lived in their world. (I never did go back to that alternative HS,
though; some of those boys (and girls!) were WAY too interested in finding out
which car in the lot was mine, plus that was the day the (regular) teacher next
door had his cell phone stolen.)

The boys in that Spanish class did indeed need to be put in their place, but I'm not
sure how I could have done it. The administration was spineless or those kids
would never have dared to act that way in the first place, and with a gutless
administration a teacher (especially in MS or HS) is like a police officer in a town
with no jail. He or she has two chances of success: slim and none.

I guess my ULTIMATE revenge fantasy would be to go back to that class really
knowing Spanish, and show those punks that their assumed superiority was a sham;
that in fact their Spanish was as lousy as their manners.

Last edited by Ball Three; 12-13-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote