Help

Substitute Teachers

how close do you follow plans/behavior?

>

yoohoo

how close do you follow plans/behavior?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was in a MS class and the teacher left fabulous notes and behavior plans. I was supposed to write down any misbehavior and have the kids flip coins. It was noted that the kids were to be respectful and responsible towards each other and the teacher.

A few kids did step out of line, and I wrote them up and had them flip their coins (from Gold being excellent, to Bronze being horrible). By the end of the day, two of the students were caught flinging stuff to each other and I told them to flip their coins. One of the students came up to me and begged me to flip the coin back because he/she didn't want to get into trouble. I went on to explain it wouldn't be fair to the other students who were caught being disrespectful and they DIDN"T get to flip their coins back to GOLD.

I got to thinking, did I not see the "spirit" of the behavior plan but just the text? Was I too tough? Should I have used better judgment and let them go on a reprimand? It's not like they didn't see other kids flip their coins.:conf used:

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

blah...
Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't' like trying to remember all of the behavior plans.

In my opinion...don't let them earn the points/coins or whatever back. They are not going to learn anything that way...especially when there is a sub in the room. Lots of kids think we're pushovers anyway...so letting kids earn back things for being good after they're bad doesn't work....at least not for me. I also tattle on the kids when I leave!!! I tell the teacher who was bad and in great detail. I learned today that I was requested for a job because I don't "sugarcoat" what happened during the day.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm home sick today. I sure hope my sub sticks to my behavior plan and tells me the truth. My kids get a reward if they're good - and I make it a good one. If they get the reward because the sub sugar-coated, they'll be even worse for her next time! They need to be respectful to subs, but won't be if you are not honest.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

it's okay
Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year was my first year as a sub. I was tough. That has served me well b/c they kids remembered me and found out THIS year that if they are reasonable, I'll be reasonable and I (knock on wood) rarely have discipline problems. They KNOW I will do it if they push me and they are enjoying being treated a little older I think. Most of the subs in our dist are very harsh and kids feel they can't blink w/o asking.

Amberlee

Behaviour plans
Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At this point it'd be nice if a teacher actually LEFT me behaviour plans. All I ever get are lesson plans. That's great don't get me wrong-- but I usually just fly with my own behaviour system since I don't get told by the teacher what they do. I'd say only 5% leave details on that.

Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Sounds like
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that student was trying to pull one over on ya. Don't let them! :-)
You were NOT too harsh. They were misbehaving and you knew the consequences--if they misbehave, they flip the coin. You caught them and made the flip the coin. You follows through on what was expected as you understood it.
A student who does not want to get in trouble should not act out in the first place...they cannot take back their actions. I applaud you! :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote