Help

Substitute Teachers

Rude!

>

louisey

Rude!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I subbed at the middle school in the district that I graduated from. Mind you, my aunt is the district clerk and my mom is the secretary at this particular school, so people know who I am. The teacher had a 1/2 day conference in the school, which was scheduled months ago, so she had plenty of time to get things prepared. When I got there, she just said "are you my sub?" She didn't introduce herself or say "hi." Nothing. Then I looked at her sub plans... she just wrote "Read the book aloud as a class and ask them some questions as you're going along. 9th period is studyhall." THAT'S IT. I had never read this particular book before, so it's a good thing I'm competent and can come up with discussion questions on the spot because she had NOTHING prepared. I was so taken aback!

THEN!!! 2 periods- she has a special ed teacher come in to co-teach.... well, she never said "hi"... never introduced herself, nothing!! She just walked in and strutted herself around the room and then told me she was leaving. I couldn't believe it!! I've heard these teachers have a reputation of being nasty, but I didn't know how true it was...

THEN!!! haha.... 9th period during studyhall, I let the kids talk quietly in their seats... and this one girl came up to me and said wow, I can't believe how crazy it is in here today. I asked her if they are normally allowed to talk and she said "no, we always have to sit silently until the last 5 minutes of class. If we don't have homework to do, we have to read a book." IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW!!!

After school, I saw the teacher I was subbing for walking down the hall and she just walked right past me. I said "it went really well... we got a lot done today!" and she just said "that's good" and kept walking! STINKING RUDE, UNGRATEFUL TEACHERS! I'm an intelligent, educated, certified, professional teacher and I deserve to be treated as such. Please give me the common courtesy of leaving plans and treating me like a decent human being!

louisey is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

entitled????
Old 12-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know I'll probably get skewered but........

so are u saying that you feel entitled to a little respect bec. you have family that work in the district/school? So, what if you have an "aunt who is the district clerk and your mom is the secy?"

the teacher treated you as if you were any other sub.....another paycheck/warm body for the room. There are so many subs who are Master's degree educated (you are probably one yourself); who recently graduated/or have graduated and have families/married/with/without kids and honestly, don't need this treatment either......

look you have a few choices:

a) look at this as a learning experience (this is what happens to subs---take or leave it)
b) if you decide to keep subbing--you don't have to work for her anymore (one of those X'd off the list)
c)if you eventually become a F/T teacher with a room make sure you don't treat subs like this.....
d) she probably has never subbed or subbed for a very short time before she became a teacher
e) she might have had other things on her mind (personal matters) that you are NOT privy to--how do you know that her child is sick at home or she has personal obligations that are wearing on her?
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

hmm...
Old 12-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If i'm left with sketchy plans..I always go and ask another teacher about it. It rarely happens...but when it does...I ask other teachers for things I can do if I run out of time.

Just after Thanksgiving I was called in at the last minute to sub for a teacher. She left her plan book but some things weren't clear...so I asked for help.

Instead of waiting for people to introduce themselves to you...YOU do it first. Stick your hand out and say, HI! I'm Ms.______ and you are? Nice to meet you is there anything I need to know? Where can I get a hold of you if I have a problem?

Also...study halls are generally 100% silent at any grade level. Don't even mention talking to friends. Tell the kids to find their seats...take roll quietly and tell them that its study hall, take something out to do, or you will write them a pass to the library to get a book. If they tell you that the last 5 min of class are for talking...tell them NOPE not when I'm the sub!
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Sorry you had a bad experience :(
Old 12-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel for you I think all of us have had at least one experience like this... It is frustrating when adults who are supposed to be role models to students do not know how to treat another adult with common courtesy.

I agree with RadSub, if someone doesn't introduce themselves to me, I immediately introduce myself to them. "Are you my sub?" would have been answered with "Yes, I am. My name is Smiling_Sub. The students call me Mrs. Smiling_Sub." I have never had a person not introduce themselves after I do this

I try to follow up with teachers too. Sometimes, they are eager to hear what I have to say, other times they could care less. I am learning to just go with the flow. I leave a detailed note, regardless of the type of notes that were left for me and leave an email address where I can be reached. If they have questions or comments, they can contact me

When in doubt about an assignment or procedure, I try to get help from another teacher. If this is not possible (and it sometimes is not). I use my best judgment and tell the teacher (in my note) what I did.

Try to shake it off, I know it is hard to do I hope you have a better day tomorrow
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

louisey

Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not saying that I deserve to be treated any differently than anyone else... rather, knowing who my family is, she should re-think how she treats those around her. She is known in the building as one of the more unfriendly teachers, and a couple of special education teachers have requested not to work with her and many parents have pulled their children out of her class.

Thank you for your advice, yoohoo, although I don't recall opening myself up for advice; I was merely ranting.

Thanks to the rest of you for your constructive, positive support

louisey is offline   Reply With Quote

Simple Simon

Why do some people teach?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What gets me about people such as the one you describe is that they are teachers in the first place. If they're like that with other adults, what must they be like with the kids? And if they're that cold and abrupt with the kids, what are they modelling? Why don't they go off and get jobs better suited to their behavioral characteristics, such as parking wardens, or immigration officials?
Simple Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
AnonTeach

AnonTeach

piping in...
Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm confused... are you saying you should be treated differently because of the position of your family members?

I don't think it's EVER okay to treat a substitute like a sub-human, uneducated, unappreciated individual. The teacher's actions were just impolite altogether.

But, if you're saying that your family-ties should make others treat you differently, that's wrong as well.