Help

Substitute Teachers

Going solo in a CTT class

>

Kataqueens

Going solo in a CTT class
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I subbed for a Math teacher in the MS who has a CTT (collaborative team teaching) class. A permanent sub in the school came to me in the morning and said that he was going to be helping me out with that class; there are a lot of students with IEP's in the homeroom, but as I mentioned in another post, I am not privy to these IEP's. Two of the students in the class have severe behavior problems, and are very, very rude to me (but not him). I've seen him with this class before, so I automatically assumed that he would be with them the whole day. Guess again.

I had the class for 1st and 2nd period, and he left in the middle of 1st period with several of the students-neither of whom were the boys with the severe behavior issues. The class goes from bad to worse in a matter of minutes, and then next thing I know, one of the boys with the severe behavior issues throws a chair across the back of the room. This of course sets the class off even more, and I had a hard time hearing the dean when I called him to report the incident (both him and his female counterpart who threw the chair first, but I didn't see, were suspended for two days).

When the CTT teacher returned during lunch homeroom, he seemed surprised that they behaved so badly, and that two kids were suspended. Gee, you think? Once again, I'm a little ignorant when it comes to Special Ed, so I have no idea what's going on in students' heads to throw chairs at each other, but I DO know that you need to have more than one teacher in a room of 30 kids when several have issues that I am not privy to knowing.

When I go to the school tomorrow, I want to speak with the regular teacher and ask her if it's normal for the CTT teacher to walk out of the room when she has this class. I bet she'll be surprised.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Oooooh, Kat,
Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I So empathize. It sounds like a HS class I had a few weeks ago. And the IEP teacher was oh-so-surprised to hear that, within seconds after her leaving, the class literally fell apart and mayhem ensued.

Let me know what the reg teacher says. I learned from the secretary after my little "incident" that the IEP teacher Should Not Have Left the room whatsoever.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

oh dear!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year I subbed for three half days in a 7th grade english class. I guess the teachers were having meetings for 1/2 of each of those days. Anyway...I had one class of kids in which the majority had IEPs and were in learning support classes. For the first day I subbed, the learning support teacher taught the class. He STAYED because he knew how badly things could escalate. The second day he was ABSENT!! I had to deal with that class on my own.
I'm just 5 feet tall and look like I'm 15 years old. Kata, you could imagine how the kids acted!!

I basically threatened the kids with a referrals for the entire time I was there. I started teaching like I normally would. Then when I heard someone make a rude comment...I whipped out a referral paper and let the kids have it! I told them the exact things they could do to earn a referral. I actually wrote names of a few kids on the forms and stuck the referrals on the board for them to see that I meant business.

There was one boy in particular that was getting everyone riled up. The phone rang and I told him the phone was for him (just joking! haha) Well...turns out this kid had been acting up all day and the call was for him to go to the office. The entire class erupted in laughter and I did too!

I gained their respect that day because they knew that I wasn't going to take any of their antics...BUT that I had a sense of humor too The third day I subbed...the kids were AWESOME. I got the class started before the learning support teacher came into the room and we actually got work accomplished.

The learning support teacher/co-teacher should always be in the room if they are scheduled to "co-teach" with you a certain period.

As a sub we often don't get access to really important information about students...IEPS, etc. Its frustrating!
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Way to go, RadSub!!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's not easy to be tough and funny at the same time!!
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Update on Going Solo
Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I called the teacher in her room this morning and asked if she was able to understand my notes regarding her raucous class and the two suspensions. She found everything and apologized profusely for their behavior towards me, and said that they're going to have detention for two afternoons as punishment. When I mentioned that the CTT teacher left the room right before this happened, it didn't seem to concern her, so I guess I was wrong. Even if his early departure with students is a regular occurrence, he still should have stayed knowing that they weren't my regular kids. Well, it's been done.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote