Help

Substitute Teachers

NEVER Ever call admin

>

mstngmom

NEVER Ever call admin
Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed at a middle school last week in which the students show disrespect for the teachers and especially the subs. The teacher that I was subbing for filled me in and said to not be afraid to call the administration for help. Well, thursday I did just that, despite my best efforts to control the class, the students just would not calm down. So, I did what the regular teacher suggested and called the administration. ( I told one student privately that I did not want to get the administration involved because I didn't want them to think that I can't do my job, eventually I had no choice)
Anyway, after I turned in my key on thursday afternoon, I was told by the secretary, that my services were no longer needed. I inquired as to whether or not the regular teacher was going to be back early. (He was suppossed to be out for 2 weeks and not return until after Christmas break) The secretary informed me that yes the regular teacher was returning on Friday.
Well, today, monday I received an email from the regular teacher, asking me how things were going. Needless to say I was very surprised, because I thought that he had returned early.
It turns out that he did not return early as I was told but rather the school found someone else to sub for this teacher. I let the regular teacher know what happened when I sent him an email.

Since, I need my job, I will never call admin again NO matter how bad it gets, I will get another teacher in there first if I have too, but NO admin.

I will stay away from this school and Never sub there again. I will not even apply for a full-time job at that school if one opens up.
Thank goodness there are other lots of other middle schools in my area, that keep calling me back.

mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That really is too bad. I wouldn't want to work at a school where the administration wasn't supportive enough to step in if you need it. Yes, in theory we should be able to do our job and not have to go higher for support, but sometimes the kids just need to see we mean business 1 time. After that you would probably not have to do it again. If you had asked for help more than once, then I could see the school wanting to get someone else, but geez 1 time, and the regular teacher didn't even know what was going on! I'd say the next sub has it in for them, now that the kids know if they are bad, the school will just get someone new.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

I used to call admin all the time
Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But in the school I'm currently a regular sub at, most of the students are well behaved, and I don't feel the need to involve a third party. For the notoriously bad classes, that are few and far between, an AP will step in before class starts and admonish the students before I'm even able to speak. This works most of the time with the notorious classes, but not yesterday. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I had to call admin after a boy and girl threw chairs at each other in a CTT class which was missing the other teacher. When there is a risk of injury or property damage, it is expected to call the dean or another admin, but nothing else. If the kids are really rowdy or loud, which happens in even the best of classes, I find that turning off the lights and waiting for the noise to die down usually works. Some students just aren't aware of how loud they are, and this is a good indicator that 'yup, a little too loud.' Most of the time they're working in groups, and are paying more attention to what's being said than HOW it's being said.

Try turning off lights and let me know how it goes.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-15-2009, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

good thinking to NOT go back to this school...who knows what's going to happen when you come back and have a similar or worse situation (i.e.: Like Kata with her kids throwing chairs)...WTH!!! you're supposed to put out the fire by yourself???!!!

Kudos for you
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

Had to call admin Thursday for...
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

scissors! 8th grade LA and she somehow finds a pair of long handled scissors. I think she went and got them from the teacher's desk. They are the old fashioned very sharp kind. She's banging them on the desk, threatening her neighbor and generally being a smart a**. I ask her to give them to me, she refuses and keeps up the stuff, ask her again and tell her I will call security. Another refusal--she wants to see if I will do it. So I do. (This school does not have a black button, Augustus.) They come but she has thrown them on the floor. Nothing happens to her but she puts her head down for the entire period and does no work. Not my problem. Wrote detailed notes to the teacher who had requested me.

In this after Columbine climate, I'd be remiss if I didn't call the admin or security for a potential weapon threat.

COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

wow!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've never had to call admin for anything. There have been a few times where the admin knew that a student was a problem so they came and checked on me. One time was Kindergarten. Luckily there was an aide. When the kid got belligerent, she literally dragged him out of the room kicking and screaming to the principal KINDERGARTEN!

I wouldn't go back to that school either. If you don't get support from other teachers or the admin...its not worth the hassle.

I usually sub in elementary...so if I am having problems with a student that I can't handle I simply tell them I'll take them next door to another teacher in their grade. Since I'm only there for a day that does the trick (most of the time!)
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

dalleo822

Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was at a school about 2 months ago and there was a new student. Well, this new student decided that he didnít want to join the class on the carpet (this is Kindergarten by the way) and begins to tell me that he wants to kill me and that he was ready to kill. I felt that the classroom discipline system was not appropriate for this matter and called the office for support. One of the secretaries was more than happy to help me out, and took him to the office. The principal ended up talking to this little boy and brought him back about 40 minutes later. I talked to the principal after school to make sure he knew what happened. I thought everything was alright, but I havenít been called back since. Maybe it is best not involve administrationÖ
dalleo822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Michael S.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Dalleo882: You really should involve somebody else when an issue like the one you experienced comes up. If you don't want to involve the admin., try to see if you can get ahold of a guidance counselor.
Michael S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachermom65

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a bad bullying situation in a class where I subbed for 3 weeks. The admin did not want to hear about it - told me that the student "brought it on". So, I went to guidance. I agree with the other poster who said that guidance is a good option for these kind of issues. They won't hold things against you when you report them, and they might even get the kid some help if that is appropriate.

Don't sweat not being called back. If the administration holds that against you, you don't want to work for them! They are there to help you...and I feel that many administrators do not want to be bothered. Until you are faced with a situation yourself - or unless you sub at a school and learn how the admin reacts from other subs - you won't know how the administrators are going to treat you. In some schools where I sub, the admin would be all over that situation...in others, they want you do handle everything.
Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote