Help

National Board Certification

Component 4 Reflection

>

Parsifal

Component 4 Reflection
Old 02-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there another way of expressing the question below?

"How effective were your efforts to develop knowledge about the class of students you selected? In the future, what different approaches or additional steps might you take to further enhance your knowledge of students and why?"

How are we to evaluate the effectiveness of our conversations, surveys, and emails? It can't be a simple, "Yes, what I did was effective" or "No, want I did was not effective."

I've gained insights on my students from former teachers, guidance counselors, and the former AP teacher who previously taught my class. What other steps am I missing?

Thanks for your time and consideration

Parsifal is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I interpret that question as basically asking you to reflect on what you did to gain knowledge of your students. Was what you did effective? Was it complete? Do you look back and think there are things you wish you had known, or would have gone about in another way? Was the information you gathered relevant, or would you have been more targeted or focused on other pieces of information instead?

One example I can think of: my children go to a small private school. Every teacher in their school does a home visit for every student before school starts. They talk a little, tell about the upcoming year, etc. At my school, some teachers do home visits with their students, but they typically wait until a month or so into the school year to schedule and start them. At that point, they've been interacting with the kids a little while and seen them work by the time the home visit happens. If this were a source of knowledge, you might think "hey, I did my home visits before school started but if I had waited a few weeks, some of my more introverted students/families may have shared more with me." or "I wish I had done the home visits earlier in the year to set up open communication right from the beginning." Either way would yield information about your students, but you may reflect and decide that making an adjustment to your practices would be beneficial.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
How are we to evaluate the effectiveness of our conversations, surveys, and emails? It can't be a simple, "Yes, what I did was effective" or "No, want I did was not effective."
I agree, you can't leave it at yes or no. This is the reflection. You have to dig deep and really examine your practice. Did what you did work? Can you improve and how? (Pro tip: you can always improve). WGReading gave a great example.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Parsifal

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I appreciate your helpfulness and willingness to share examples.

The home visits example makes sense as a possible avenue to improve knowledge of students, but this type of opportunity is extremely rare for most teachers to take.

I teach all AP classes in high school and spoke to guidance counselors, former teachers of my students, and our department chair to gain knowledge on my specific class.

In order to expand on my sources for the future, I thought that having the ability to confer with a history professor on what skills he/she finds lacking in his/her students might provide insights in what to promote in my class. Would my example, though, be unacceptable because a professor from a local university would not know my particular group of students?

Thank you!
Parsifal is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-15-2019, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
The home visits example makes sense as a possible avenue to improve knowledge of students, but this type of opportunity is extremely rare for most teachers to take.

WGR didn't mean this as a suggestion. She meant, here is an example of something that works, but can be improved upon. It's for you to figure out what is relevant to your practice.

Teach-me3

Ftce
Old 09-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iím in Florida and need to take and the exam for social science 5-9. Does anyone have any study materials that they can suggest? I really need to pass this exam.
Teach-me3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-04-2019, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teach-me3, are you asking about C1?