Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

(whine) ingrown toenail

>

tia

(whine) ingrown toenail
Old 07-30-2019, 05:04 PM

on Sunday i realized my big toe really hurt at the top and on the inside.

i decided (along with help from Google and couple family members) that i have an ingrown toenail. OWIE!

i'm thinking it happened because that toenail was cut really short--especially on that side--because i had a discoloration (fungus?) that i wanted to get rid of sooner. my shoes are not too small--in fact, my running shoes have a little extra room.

have never had an ingrown nail before. (read all sorts of horror stories from runners online about how to get rid of it--basically, rip the nail out although i think that was advice for someone who was running a marathon soon--so that's not me)

DH and i went on a mini-vaca to celebrate our 24th anniversary so i've had 2 days off running, so it's less painful today. but tomorrow i'm running a practice 5k for one that's coming up on the 9th.

frustrated because i can't turn my foot and body so that i can actually SEE and get to that area of my toe.

i've heard from several sources that i should go get a pedicure. (i've MAYBE had 5 in my life.) hate to spend the $, but if someone else will take care of it--yea. and perhaps my toes will still be pretty for the first week of school???

any experience with this/advice? thanks!

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Barb/Ohio

Old 07-30-2019, 05:17 PM

I recently saw a foot doctor for what I suspected was an ingrown nail. It hurt along the side of the nail but was not infected. There is a surgery that they can do where they remove a little part of the nail but hoping to avoid that. The doctor told me to soak in epsom salts for 15 minutes or so once a day, apply hydrogen peroxide with a q-tip once a day and then apply neosporin once a day. Did this for two weeks and it helped eliminate the pain. Hope the problem is resolved for the time being.
Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

tia
Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 PM

I had an ingrown nail, and had it removed at the dr office.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
i've heard from several sources that i should go get a pedicure.
Oh, heavens no. Go to a podiatrist and get the care your feet deserve. You're a runner and need top-notch nail care. I've had ingrown toenails before and they can evolve and become so painful you can't walk. If you have an ingrown toenail don't have a pedicure. It's asking for trouble.

Seek medical advice. If you can't get in to see a podiatrist a Prompt Care appointment would set you on the right track.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

See a Podiatrist
Old 07-30-2019, 05:52 PM

Soak it in Epsom salts a couple of times a day until you can get in to see a podiatrist.

My DS has recurring ingrown toe nails (inherited the tendency from DH). They have different levels of treatment depending on how bad it is. He just had a couple treated this past month. The one that was just from him stubbing the toe and then cutting the nail short ended up needing the nail removed. The other one was on his big toe where he tends to get repeated ingrown nails. It was a more permanent procedure to prevent it from happening again.

He's had them before where he didn't tell us and they got really infected. He had to do antibiotics for a week before they could treat the nail. The sooner you get it looked at, the better off you are.

sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-30-2019, 05:53 PM

My nail tech is a genius with ingrowns. But if you don't already have one you trust, yeah, prolly go to a dr.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Definitely the doctor. One time they put me on antibiotics because of it. I would steer clear of a pedicure. If it isn't 100% sterile, it could cause a serious problem.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Nails
Old 07-30-2019, 06:10 PM

I have had issues for almost 10 years with ingrown toenails. My 2 big toes.

I tried a number of things, without success. I placed a wee bit of cotton ball under the sharp edge that bothered me, I filed just barely enough to take the sharp edge off. Previous posters also had good advice.

I went to a podiatrist about what I found out was plantar fasciitis, and the dr. also looked at my toes. He explained that nails change with age. Mine were changing shape a bit and forming a sort of upside down U, causing the ingrown issue. He trimmed them in a way that we had always been cautioned about, but, for me, was the answer.

Then I started regular pedicures. I firmly believe they should be included in our health insurance!

I would get advice from a podiatrist. Happy feet are paramount! Good luck and I hope you find your solution.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Then I started regular pedicures. I firmly believe they should be included in our health insurance!##
Preach!

My monthly pedicures are a medical necessity!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM

Ouch! My son has had both of his big toenails removed because of ingrown nails. The nails did grow back and he is very careful about how he trims them now. I do not recommend a pedicure until your nails are healed. After that a pedicure would help you keep the nails trimmed correctly to prevent this from happening again. Like others have suggested, soak your feet with Epsom salt and then gently pull the skin back from the nail while your feet are soft ftom the foot soak. Hope you feel better soon, ingrown nails can really hurt and can get infected easily. See your doctor if you notice any sign of infection.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

ouch!!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:34 AM

I had them so bad when I was a kid that they did surgery on each one of my big toes. I call it surgery because it felt like that when I was younger (they basically cut the toenail so it grows differently).

DO NOT get a pedicure--in fact my doctor said that is what often leads to ingrown toenails if you get the wrong person. When I go for pedicures, I ask them not to cut the nail, I cut them myself.

Go to a podiatrist as soon as you can. You will feel better. Good luck! My toes are now hurting for you
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-31-2019, 05:06 PM

I am sorry you are suffering! That is so painful. I have had both of my big toenails cut off and they will never grow back. That was a long time ago. They usually now do it so that they will grow back a certain way. You probably are not at that point, so go to a doctor soon so he or she can remove the ingrown part before it becomes more serious.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote