How can doctors be taken seriously when they give horrible advice? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How can doctors be taken seriously when they give horrible advice?

>

Hifiman

How can doctors be taken seriously when they give horrible advice?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 PM

How many really good doctors are there? There's the house guy. He must've been good enough since they made a TV show about him. Even then I doubt house doctor was that much better than the doctors I've seen. Basically no matter what I complain about I'm told to eat less and exercise more. Western medicine, people! That's what I want. Not this silliness.

Yesterday I visited an eye doctor about some vision issues. She tells me it sounded like dry eyes and all I needed was some eye drops several times a day to moisten them. I can do that. I went out and bought some from Costco. Today I remembered to try them out. I can't do that.

There is no possible way any sane person can put drops in their own eyes. It cannot be done. My left eye I got lucky. Well, it's hard to call what happened lucky but I did get drops in my eye on the first try. Problem is the drop(s) easily weighed three pound each. No exaggeration. I can't risk that kind of damage to my eyes.

I did try several times to get drops in my right eye. I got drops on my forehead. I got drops on my eyelid. Drops on my cheek. Drops on my nose. Finally I got drops in my eyes. The worst part was that I was fighting the process. I was fighting myself!

I'm not someone who can ever put contacts in my eyes. I know that about myself. I love life too much to allow myself to poke my eyeballs with my fingers. Well, It turns out I love life too much to put eye drops in my eyes as well.

If I don't get relief from dry eyes I might have to score some tranquilizer to get the drops in.

Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Eye drops!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 PM

This reminds me of the episode of Friends when Rachel had to take drops. It took all of her friends to tackle her and put the drops in. Great episode!

Will you need the support of an entire classroom of kids to help you?
TeachingSarah is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 PM

I had contacts for year. I cannot do eye drops for the life of me. I. HATE. EYE. DROPS. I eventually went back to glasses, in part because the air quality dried out my eyes and I was growing blood vessels in there (or something??) that meant my eyes were too dry and I needed to use eye drops regularly or stop wearing contacts. I went back to glasses. My eyes always itched anyway.

When the doc has to put eye drops in my eye, he basically has to wrestle me. Finally, we came to an understanding. I close my eyes, he drops them into the corner, and I blink like mad. The few times I've had to do eye drops at home, I make dh do the same thing. If I have to do it myself, I can... but I often get more on my face, too.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 PM

I can use eye drops like a champ. I have to put in several different types, several times a day. I believe one is made from battery acid. A trick I learned when I was just starting on the eye drop path was tilt your head back, close your eyes, put a drop in the place you get eye boogers, then open your eyes. It will go into your eye. You may need to slightly tilt your head to the side to get it to roll in.

Or if you would rather try drops like my son does, find 2 large friends to sit on you and pin your head and then repeat the steps above. This method works best if you live in a rural setting so adult protective services won't be called.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 PM

No this is easy with the Costco ones. We get the little tube ones for one time use. You can put it in your eye cuz itís one time use. Use two one for each eye. There. Does that work? Text me if it doesn't.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Dry eyes
Old 07-31-2019, 09:41 PM

It could be worse. I was diagnosed with severe dry eye and in addition to using drops numerous times a day, I was also told to use a microwaveable eye mask at least once a day. The kicker is it has to be as "hot as I can stand it" which basically means I am frying my poor eyeballs. Ugh. Amazingly, it actually does help.

I hope your aim improves!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 07-31-2019, 11:15 PM

I can never put eye drops in my eyes the ďnormalĒ way. What works for me is to look in the mirror, then tilt my head slightly off to the side. This way my focus isnít on an incoming drop, but rather on the mirror while I put the drop in. So, Iím kinda side-glancing at myself. Hard to explain.

If I donít have access to a mirror, I canít do it, either!

twinmom95

Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 AM

My eyes will burn and tear up every couple of days probably for the last 30 years.

At my last eye appointment in May they did a tear test. Basically my lower Lids have blocked tear ducts. I did the eye mask thing for a couple weeks( and got out some gunk) and he also suggested I get certain fish oil pills. I got EZ tears off Amazon. These suckers are huge, but not too bad to swallow ( soft gel) . It makes you wonder why they didn't make them half the size and have you take twice as many haha.

Anyway, since starting these in late May my eyes have only bothered me once or twice so far :-) It would often happen in school in the afternoon, especially when I go to read aloud to the kids. So the real test will be when I start back at the end of the month.

The pills are $35 for a month supply and I'm hoping maybe I can cut back to one pill a day instead of 2, but we'll see. I don't do any drops. It wouldn't be pretty
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 08-01-2019, 04:57 AM

I can put in contacts, but don't like putting eye drops in my eyes.
I usually gently pull down my lower eye lid and place the drop in that little area that opens up and can hold the drop. Then I blink a couple of times to distribute the liquid from the drop. That's even what my eye doctor does when she puts in those drops to dilate my eyes.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Sorry, no help
Old 08-01-2019, 05:28 AM

here, Hifi. I have been wearing contacts since I was a teenager. Eye drops, no problem. My issue at the doctor's office is don't put that disgusting wooden stick on my tongue and make me gag. I'll put in all of the eye drops you can give me instead of using that stick.

And thanks Teddy9192 for this:
Quote:
Or if you would rather try drops like my son does, find 2 large friends to sit on you and pin your head and then repeat the steps above. This method works best if you live in a rural setting so adult protective services won't be called.

letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-01-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
How many really good doctors are there? There's the house guy. He must've been good enough since they made a TV show about him. Even then I doubt house doctor was that much better than the doctors I've seen. Basically no matter what I complain about I'm told to eat less and exercise more. Western medicine, people! That's what I want. Not this silliness.
You know what Coxie would say to you. Also, this is my second favorite Cox quote.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Eye Drops
Old 08-01-2019, 06:00 AM

I cannot do them either. I have to do the corner and blink thing.
Claire is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 AM

Try putting the bottle of eye drops in your pocket about half an hour before you want to put drops in your eyes. The liquid will warm to your body temp and you won't even feel them hit your eye ball. Works every time! Give it a try, it works.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-01-2019, 09:49 AM

I'm terrible about eye drops and have severe dry eyes too. My usually very sweet and kind DH would laugh hysterically watching me try to do it.

I hit on the idea of closing my eyes, tilting my head back, flooding the corner near my nose, opening my eyes and tilting my head sideways to let the drops wash over my eyes.

I later asked doctor if it was okay to do it that way, and she said, "Oh sure, that's how we do it when we get little kids who are afraid of drops."

Anyway, I recommend that. After a few months, I got to the point where I can leave my eyes open while I flood the corner of my eye, but I still can't put drops in directly a year later. Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Edited to add:
Quote:
A trick I learned when I was just starting on the eye drop path was tilt your head back, close your eyes, put a drop in the place you get eye boogers, then open your eyes. It will go into your eye. You may need to slightly tilt your head to the side to get it to roll in.
I'm glad I'm not the only adult using this trick!
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Eyes
Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 PM

I wear contacts and also need eye drops for dry eyes. I just tilt my head and squeeze the drops in. I use the tiny one use plastic tubes. They are more sanitary. If I can plunk contacts in my eye, I can do drops!
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Thank you for all the responses
Old 08-01-2019, 12:59 PM

and comedy relief. I will use the suggestions today. Thanks again.
Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Good luck, Doris.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote