Help

The VENT

Back to school teacher teams

>

elepen

Back to school teacher teams
Old 08-15-2019, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was looking at some of my teacher friends postings of their team building exercise on FB. One was a collage and the other groups of teachers singing and doing a dance. I don’t miss doing that at all. I liked it when you had the back to school breakfast at a restaurant or the school library or cafeteria and then had a long meeting going over expectations, etc. Then you were free for the next couple of days except for a grade level meeting to work in your room and go out to lunch. I’m retired now and those were the days my friend
Have a great year

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

So right...
Old 08-15-2019, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For many years, I was fortunate to work for a wonderful superintendent. He was the assistant superintendent when I was hired, and I also interviewed with him. Back to School activities in those days were limited to a breakfast at the high school where you would go early so you could socialize with colleagues, especially those from other buildings. Then, you returned to the buildings and had the obligatory meeting with your principal in the afternoon. As you remembered, you were then free to work in your room and go out for lunch.

After we had a few superintendents when the wonderful one retired, one of them got it into his head to have a barbecue lunch with cafeteria food served by the administrators. It was crowded, rushed, and not relaxing. In the early years of this, I felt pressured to show my face, even though I would rather be at a restaurant. One year, we had no contract, so people didn't go and eventually, they stopped offering it.

Meetings now have mandatory professional development worked into them. My last few were just reminders of all the stress and work to come. Summer relaxation became just a memory really fast. I have to say, I don't miss it at all.

I wish everyone starting or soon to start their years the BEST ever. I do feel very fortunate like the earlier poster to remember a very different time.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 08-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

NJ teacher

I know I miss that too. The team building activities have no value and donít bring people closer. You see it with the kids when you try it in the classroom most of them donít like it. The class meetings were good and the kids got something out of it. So glad Iím retired and subbing
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm retired now, but I always hated those kinds of things. Just let me get my room and lesson plans ready! A breakfast or lunch provided is nice, but skip the inspirational speakers and boring pd. And also, don't decide to start 5 new programs every year. Writing this makes me feel very happy to be retired. Yes, I miss actually teaching, but I don't miss all the other stuff.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

My school
Old 08-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Middle school with about 450 students, grades 6-8. I am so jealous. The entire staff, from certified to classified and administration went kayaking after lunch yesterday. What a great way to have fun and laugh before students come on Monday. Wish I wasnít retired....

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've never been a fan of stupid icebreaker games, but this year we have about 15 new teachers- almost half of the certified staff. We had a little breakfast the first day and I got to chat with the people at my table, but then they proceeded to go straight into "sit and get" PD for the next several days. I thought it was extremely strange that they didn't do anything to try to introduce these new people or to have us get to know each other.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-17-2019, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had to write an interesting fact about ourselves, which were then read aloud and tried to guess the person. I was like, yeah...I got nothing interesting, so I didnít do it.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 08-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We do PDs the first day, but I guess it's better than doing it on my own time and/or paying for it. This, or next year, will be my last one. I'm just along for the ride.

choppie70

Old 08-18-2019, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am so glad that I have NEVER had to do something like that!

We have a whole district breakfast at the HS , then we have an hour long district meeting. They introduce new staff and talk about the district goals for the year. Our superintendent usually shows a video and we are on our merry way.

At our own schools we have about an hour of meetings to go over housekeeping stuff, and then we just work in our rooms.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-18-2019, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

One year they had us do that life size game of hungry hungry hippos. Um. I donít mind doing strange or exciting things, but hurting myself playing a game like that is a big no.

We just introduced ourselves this year after breakfast. That was nice, except I was looking at the two new people and thinking how we spent an hour doing this.... waste of time. We could have been grouped for some reflective activity or something else that went with PD. Make sure to regroup and get exposure that way.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote