I think this is the most frustrating thing for me. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

I think this is the most frustrating thing for me.

>

checkerjane

I think this is the most frustrating thing for me.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Working my butt off and taking time away from my family to stay on top of things and plan my lessons only to feel like Iím not giving my kids what they need and knowing that other teachers donít think I am either.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedQueenBee

Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hear you! I have to plan for 17 kids with very different IEP goals. I've grouped them the best I can but that's still 4 or more activities per subject. I am doing the best I can and that's all we can do.
Don't worry about what the other teachers think, just get your evaluator on your side. Keep plugging away and try to spend as much time with your family as you can.
SpedQueenBee is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 09-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear you. I'm up to almost 30 and don't feel very effective with most of them. There are several with pretty major behaviors who are taking most of the attention as well.

No advice, just sympathy.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 09-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We all feel the same way, and we've got your back. You're not alone.

My first principal told me this: The school district expects us to host a champagne party on a beer budget. At some point, you've got to be ok with serving the beer.

Does it feel good? Nope. Do kids deserve better? Definitely. But until the public is willing to fund the champagne, beer it is. (And most days, it's the $2 PBR.)
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-16-2019, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
My first principal told me this: The school district expects us to host a champagne party on a beer budget. At some point, you've got to be ok with serving the beer.
. I love this!

It is sad what teachers put up with, and most put up without any complaint. They just give more and more of their evening and weekends trying to keep up. Then we have the ones who make it look like they are doing so great, they have all the extra time in the world to make things to sell on TPT, or post on blogs weekly all the super great things they do in their classrooms. Then we have the Pinterest teachers.

THey don't have a life. I think many of us go through those first years doing as much as humanly possible. We lose fiances (PT poster), miss milestone's in our children's lives, go without sleep, take antidepressants and anxiety medications, until we hit the point that we realize this is a job. Like every other job. It isn't compensated nearly to the point that we should give this time. It is not a community service, like many would like to make people think. It is a job and we should put the time in that we are compensated for. There is no way on this earth that most of us can even get grading done during our "plan" time, not to mention the planning involved in just the day to day stuff - not even considering the RTI, small groups, behavior management, parent meetings, student meetings, IEPs, PD, Goal teams, PDPs, special events, field trips, goals, integrated curriculum, learning new curriculum, posting I Can Statements and Standards, Essential Questions and Student goals. It isn't possible. Yet we continue to do it without fighting back.

Does that make you feel better? We are all there. Some more than others. What we all have in common is that the requirements for doing this job demand Sainthood to complete them. We compete with each other by continuing to do them all, even at the price of a personal life. You have to decide where your priorities live. SPend it that way. If the kids in your class have to read a short book and respond on a piece of lined paper, no big deal. I don't think they learn any better with the fancy stuff we try to put in to gain and keep their attention. In a year they won't remember either activity- and if they do, they won't remember "why" they did it. Give yourself a break. Figure out what you can do and do your best with it. Let the rest slide.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you all so much. I greatly appreciate the advice and kind words. I was hopeful today would be good, but I had a run in with a parent. I would have walked out today if I didnít need a paycheck and insurance.

Tomorrow is a new day. *fingers crossed*
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote