Help

The VENT

Thoughts?

>

SoDone

Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2020, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district is planning to phase back to school from 100% virtual. K-5 at the beginning of Jan. And 6-12 in the middle of Jan. Teachers and students can choose by next Friday to remain virtual or go back. I have not put in my choice yet. Thoughts for either side? I really want to make the most informed choice I can, despite Jan being pretty far away.

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 10-23-2020, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are hybrid and I am ready to go face to face together.
Kids are doing great with masks. Distancing is harder, but with reminders and good protocols it can work. I think hand washing and masks are most important and easy to implement.
Iíve definitely realized some of it is you own comfort level too. We have teachers who are very scared and you can tell. Normally they are great teachers and this year they are on edge. They are doing more seatwork than ever before and they are not happy. Their kids are not happy. I feel for all of them.

For me, it feels good. They hybrid is time consuming and we are not getting any bang for our buck. I donít like that.

So many variables....I hope it works for you!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 10-23-2020, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would agree with the previous poster. I would also add that you should look carefully at your districts plan for returning. Do they have a good plan? Are you comfortable with the protocols they are putting into place? Do you trust them to live up to what they are saying?
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

How is your own health?
Old 10-23-2020, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would look at my own health status and the health of any family members you come in contact with. Is virtual teaching from home, or are you in the building anyway? Given the prediction of a tough winter for the pandemic, I would probably opt to remain virtual if I was able to teach from home. If I had to go in anyway, it probably wouldn't matter to me as much.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tryingtoteach

Old 10-23-2020, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What is the COVID status in your community?

I want to go back f2f but the rates in my area are too high for me to feel safe doing so.

tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Old 10-23-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We could choose to go into the building or work from home for virtual. I'm at home. I'd go in to school if I didn't live an hour away.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-23-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The other posters gave you some good things to think about. I was nervous to go back, but almost immediately upon going back I realized how much happier I was. I live alone, so that probably makes a huge difference. I've never in my life been so happy to get up early, get dressed up, and go to work! I've always been a huge introvert and during the spring/summer I really felt like I was doing okay, but I was SO much happier getting to see my work friends every day and getting back to feeling like I had "purpose" (online teaching felt like a giant waste of time to me).

I thought I'd be miserable wearing a mask all day, but honestly I've adjusted. Don't get me wrong, I still would obviously like to not be wearing it, but it's not as bad as I originally thought. I also started wearing those blue disposable masks (and best PT tip ever, they actually do hold up well to hand washing so you can wear them again), which are far more comfortable and breathable than cloth masks. I've also adjusted to mostly keeping space between me and the kids, and adjusting activities so that everyone has their own materials, and spending so much time on hand washing.

Numbers in my area suck, but that truly has not spread to schools. My theory is that masks are the thing that makes the huge difference. We've had less than 5 actual confirmed cases in my entire district, that's with teachers being back full time since the first week of August and students being back full time since September 1. We have had a lot of quarantines due to "presumptive positive" cases that turned out not to be once the person was finally tested. It's annoying, but I'd still rather deal with that than be remote full time.

There have been 0 cases of "secondary transmission" from the confirmed cases (i.e., no one else at the school got it from the person who ended up being positive). Of all of the districts in my county, only one had secondary transmission cases. In that case, it was a group of 5 friends who admitted they'd been hanging out in the bathroom together without masks.

This year has been crazy and exhausting. Keeping up with all of the new rules, constantly changing policies (not the district's fault, tri-county health constantly changes), quarantines, teaching some kids in person and some remote due to quarantines (happens due to my specific position) etc. has been frustrating. Last week, when the numbers started getting really bad, our super sent out a message that she was watching and we may have to go remote based on data metrics they set at the beginning of the year (which were based on county numbers, not numbers within our school).

My teammates and I all admitted that at this point we wouldn't mind having a SMALL remote "break." Like 1-2 weeks, not months like last year. As of now we're staying in person, which I have to admit seems to make the most sense given the data actually within the schools. And I know that after a hopefully short period of being remote, I'd be thrilled to be back in the building again. We had the opportunity to choose teaching for the e-learning school and I really went back and forth this summer. I'm so glad I decided to do in person.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I would choose virtual
Old 10-28-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is no way on God's green Earth that I would go back into a classroom this year if given a choice to stay online. I'm glad some people are back in-person without incident. That's all well and good for them, until it isn't, and they or someone they love becomes terribly ill or dies. I believe in Science, and COVID-19 is a killer, and schools cannot be as safe as they need to be to keep disease from spreading. TOTALLY depends on numbers in your area, of course. I'm in AZ, and we're practically on fire, with schools opening and closing and re-opening and then going back online--hospitals filling up, kids and teachers getting sick. County health departments having to come in and close schools because the districts won't do it. If you live somewhere with little community spread, or you're at a school that only had 15 kids per grade level, you might have better luck.