Anyone else feel super awkward when a repair person is in your house? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone else feel super awkward when a repair person is in your house?

>

Haley23

Anyone else feel super awkward when a repair person is in your house?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:41 AM

Or is that just me? I have an electrician here right now. I never know what do while they're working and it always feels awkward. So now I'm sitting at my kitchen table posting on PT, pretending I am working on something important . Lots of people work from home now, right?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-16-2020, 11:50 AM

LMAO- that is definitely me!! I always pretend to be working on something important. Many times I am, but I still feel like anything on a computer looks like play (which is weird, so many people work on the computer for their job).
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 AM

If I was home alone and it's just some guy employee, I might feel a little odd, especially if he gives off some kind of creepy, odd vibe, which has never happened yet by the way. But, I just get out of their way and sit at my computer and open the door for them if they have to go out to their truck for something, so they can do their job fast.

For the last several years living in an apt, I've had my occasional occurrence when the maintenance guy has had to come and they're always nice. I don't really feel awkward. I just do all I can do have things cleared away or whatever else so they can do their job as quickly and easily as possible.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-16-2020, 12:29 PM

I always feel awkward. The last few times the super cute handyman and I have chatted. This last tine I had to keep Aik from killing him.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

feeling awkward
Old 10-16-2020, 12:31 PM

I know what you mean. I usually make small talk at first , ask if they need anything. And tell them I'll be wherever in the house if they need me. I do like you and just spend time on my computer

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Always! We have a bathroom remodel going on right now. I have literally nothing to do right now that I can do with them here, so I'm sticking close to be available and keep an eye on our dog while trying to look busy. Consequently I get nothing done all day, but spend the evenings doing painting etc. that I can't do while they're here.

Last edited by MKat; 10-16-2020 at 04:10 PM..
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

bockiee

Old 10-16-2020, 12:38 PM

I always feel awkward. We have guys insulating the exterior wall of our house this week. They have been here Tue-Fri and will have to be here some next week. I will be so happy when they are finished! Haven't been able to do much because all furniture, etc. has to be moved from exterior walls and it creates a lot of dust so most everything is covered in plastic.
bockiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Every single day for the
Old 10-16-2020, 01:41 PM

past 3 weeks!! We are updating our home, but by now, I just tend to watch a bunch of tv/computer/ nap. I haven't had as much piano practice time as I want because our bedroom is shrouded in plastic. (that's where my piano is)

I'm about exhausted from the whole process.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM

I had a repair man fixing my furnace. When he was done he was laughing because he kept hearing me say,( Insert name here) "Turn on your mic. Turn on your mic. Look at me. Get your feet off the wall and sit down, (Insert name here) Mute. Hit Mute. Don't do that. Come back and sit down." He got a kick out of it.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-16-2020, 04:14 PM

Catdog! You're living my life right down to the piano. My piano isn't under plastic in the bedroom, but it is in the spot where they traipse back and forth between their workspace outside and inside. I've been watching tv/napping/on the computer - just hanging out getting nothing done while I wait for them to be gone.

MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-16-2020, 06:06 PM

I'm glad it's not just me! Thankfully he wasn't here for very long. I'd definitely hate having people here every day for long term projects! I had a few things in mind that I wanted to do this summer, but with Covid and so much uncertainty I decided I needed even more savings built up than I originally thought before doing "unnecessary"/cosmetic things.

I remember my mom talking about how she's glad they have these same 2 people that have done all of the remodeling in her house because she trusts them enough to just leave them in the house alone and she doesn't have to just sit around while they work. Again, with covid though, there aren't that many other places to go!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I am a talker, so if the repair person is a
Old 10-17-2020, 04:52 AM

talker, I usually end up chatting with them. I have had quite a few people through here in the past year for my bathroom, roof, porch, and other miscellaneous issues.

The contractor's wife was also here quite often, cause she does the admin, but actually also works on the jobs. She and I really hit it off.

I always end up knowing a ton about the guy's (or gal's) personal life, mutual friends, kids, etc. You probably would not believe some of the conversations I have had with repair people. I always offer them coffee, water, juice, etc. This was true when I lived in L.A. and true now that I live in a small town in Northern NY. I love to hear people's stories and they love to tell me their stories.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 PM

Add me to your club! I also respond by doing what you were doing when he was working in your home!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote