Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Seasonal Wardrobe

>

ICrazyTeach

Seasonal Wardrobe
Old 10-17-2020, 02:58 PM

Do you have a seasonal wardrobe? I wear some things year round, but I have quite a bit I only wear in summer or winter. We have teeny tiny closets so I trade out clothes twice a year. I hate it. I want a nice big closet where everything fits. It's exhausting lugging the tubs up and down the steps. It's exhausting pulling out all the clothes and hanging everything up and folding it all.
I guess the one good thing is that I can purge old stuff at the same time.

One day I will have a house with 2 decent bathrooms, enough bedrooms for everyone and big, beautiful closets! And by that time the kids will be grown and I won't need all that space

ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 10-17-2020, 03:09 PM

Iím from Southern Ontario and we have completely opposite season so yes I pretty much have two wardrobes. I actually enjoy the ritual of switching over the clothes, I donít do a full closet switch as I really can wear some things in both seasons.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 10-17-2020, 03:17 PM

The closest thing I have to a seasonal wardrobe is short sleeves vs sleeveless.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-17-2020, 03:30 PM

Yes...southern NH and also a 100+ old house with almost no storage and tiny closets ( and bathrooms)....raised 2 kids who are now on their own....but yes, I know your frustration well!!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Seasonal wardrobe
Old 10-17-2020, 03:34 PM

Sort of, although the last few years have felt more like perpetual summer. I am longing to wear jeans and boots.

Itís October, and Iím taking advantage of the end of summer close out sales and wearing the clothes now.

I have a good size closet. Everything is hung by sleeve length. Short end of closet has pants, also sorted by length.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-17-2020, 03:59 PM

Yes I have a few boxes upstairs that store heavy sweaters and boots for rainy weather. My Master bedroom is downstairs though and can store most clothing for both cold and hot weather.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-17-2020, 04:07 PM

I guess the only "seasonal wardrobe" I have are my sweaters and even then, it may not be cold enough to wear them in fall/winter since I'm in S. California. Other than that, everything's pretty year-round.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 PM

yah--i have some items that i obviously can't wear in late spring, summer, and early fall because i'd be way too warm. and vice versa...

but i do wear sleeveless dresses under sweaters and over leggings in the fall and winter.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-17-2020, 04:24 PM

I have a seasonal wardrobe. I am planning on switching the clothes this week. Our bedroom closet isnít that big so I use under the bed storage boxes. I thought Iíd use the closet in my sonís old room after he got married, however, my DH started working a new job after retirement and wears a suit everyday. So that has become his suit closet. My DD is back living at home so I canít use her closet. I really dislike pulling out those storage boxes.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Seasonal wardrobe
Old 10-17-2020, 04:49 PM

In the summer, I mainly wear shorts with a tank top/sleeveless top. Occasionally I wear a t-shirt with shorts or jeans, but only if it's a little chilly. At work when the weather is nice, I tend to wear dresses and skirts with short sleeved or sleeveless blouses. As the weather gets a little cooler, but not still not winter, I'll wear dress pants with short sleeved blouses or 3/4 lengthen sleeved blouses. In the winter, I tend to wear dress pants with sweaters or long sleeved shirts, but mainly sweaters.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-17-2020, 05:09 PM

I am in the same boat - older house equals small closets, so I trade out twice a year. I did the shoes while I was on Fall Break and have the tubs of winter stuff out but haven't started the big switch yet. I put a walk-in closet on my Christmas list every year.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 10-17-2020, 05:36 PM

Yes, t-shirts vs sweaters.
I don't have a ton of storage space, but I also don't have a big wardrobe. My preference is to have less items of clothing, but those that I have I really like (and wear until they get worn out or don't fit, and then I donate). I do laundry pretty frequently, so it's not a problem.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-17-2020, 06:07 PM

Iím in northern IL so I need a winter and summer wardrobe. Since Iíve gained all my weight I havenít been a fan of clothes or shopping so I donít have many. Just enough to get by.

When I lost all my weight and got down to a size 10 shopping was much more fun and I had super cute seasonal clothes.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-17-2020, 06:10 PM

I definitely have a seasonal wardrobe. Spring/fall get blurry here weather wise, but we definitely have a distinct summer and winter. I'd like a big walk in closet, but the housing market here is terrible and I couldn't afford to be picky about something like that. I actually have three closets, but they're all really small. I keep my extra clothes in tubs in my spare bedroom. It really doesn't bother me that much since I'm only totally switching things out twice a year.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-17-2020, 06:17 PM

My whole wardrobe fits in my teeny closet. Of course, we don't often get super cold so I don't have anything bulky or tons of jackets or sweaters. And I'm somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to clothes, so that helps!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 10-17-2020, 06:24 PM

I started the switch today. Itís a multiple day project, for sure! These tiny closets really stink!!
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-17-2020, 07:15 PM

I sort of have a seasonal wardrobe. I usually wear sleeveless and short sleeves year-round, but I wear different colors and fabrics depending on the season.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-17-2020, 07:15 PM

In central FL we can wear shorts, jeans and short sleeved shirts pretty much year round, but between October and March we often also need long sleeves, pull over sweaters, jackets and sometimes coats and hats, so other than the coats and jackets in a different closet, I just have a section in my bedroom closet where I keep my long sleeves, hoodies and sweaters.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Seasonal Wardrobe
Old 10-17-2020, 09:41 PM

Yes, I have a seasonal wardrobe that includes cashmere sweaters. Iím always crazy cold in the winter. Our home is over 130 years old so it can be quite drafty and has few closets. My last home I had a walk-in closet (not fancy big) which was nice but my wardrobe is more minimal now. So, just a small closet. I can also layer summer tees with cardigans. I do keep seasonal coats elsewhere.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 10-18-2020, 04:46 AM

Yes and I hate it. Dh and I store some clothes because they all wonít fit in our closets. I always try to downsize so I donít have to store anything, but my closet is not big enough. I will be unpacking our winter clothes next weekend.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 10-18-2020, 06:12 AM

Yes, I have a seasonal wardrobe. I don't really mind the tiny closet in my bedroom - it keeps me honest about not buying more clothes than I need.

Switching wardrobes isn't that big a deal for me. It's mostly just a matter of putting shorts and t-shirts into a bin and bringing out sweaters, sweatshirts, base layers, wool socks. I switch a few things between my closet and my upstairs storage closet: lightweight cotton shirts and skirts get put away, cardigans and my school polos get brought out. Sandals and water shoes go in the bin, boots and winter hikers come out.

Of course, we have the transitional time that makes it hard to know how much to keep out and how much to put away. A week ago we had highs in the upper 70's. Yesterday I woke up to snow. That was my signal to go ahead and complete the switch this week.

ETA: But I've only ever had one child around for whom I had to make the switch. I can see how it would get time-consuming with more children, although it's also a good time to weed out the stuff that doesn't fit anymore.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

We have
Old 10-18-2020, 10:27 AM

all 4 seasons here. I have clothes for 3 seasons: summer, winter, and spring/fall. I don't think I will be needing as many clothes as I have in the past, and I need to sort through some older things and purge.

Our house was built in the 1960's and we have no formal master bedroom, so we have 1 closet for both of us. There are plenty of closets, but I have out of season clothes in tubs and a closet in our downstairs.

Did I mention I need to purge?
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I have a huge cedar chest in my bedroom.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Even though I have two closets in my bedroom, one of which include floor to ceiling shelves, and two dressers, I still have to put stuff away for the seasons. I use the living room closet just for coats.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

LOL. Not really...
Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 AM

I live in SW Missouri and sometimes we experience all four seasons in one day. Layering is key.

There are very few things that I own that work for just one season-- and those are primarily based on color or weight though rather than other reasons.

And SW MO, the home of rednecks and hillbillies, isn't exactly known for being fashion forward... My school is relatively casual as well...

I have a medium size closet for hanging clothes and a matching closet with shelves for pants, leggings, shoes and accessories.

They are pretty full right now so I try to purge it regularly.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote