Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sewing Skills Short Survey

>

anna

Sewing Skills Short Survey
Old 10-17-2020, 03:36 PM

I have tackled my first sewing project and won Are you a sewing enthusiast or are you like me where patterns are not understandable? Do you have a sewing machine that makes you happy?

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Sewing skills
Old 10-17-2020, 03:41 PM

I would say Iím pretty skilled. My mom was an excellent seamstress and taught me a lot. Every now and then, if I canít figure something out, I call my neighbor who was a professional seamstress.

I am working on my third sewing machine. First one I inherited from an aunt and drove it into the ground making ballet costumes for a studio I worked with.
Second one was a barely used one given by my SIL.

Current one originally belonged to a coworker. When she heard my machine died, she said ďthis machine is more than I need. I will sell it to you for the price of a simpler machine.Ē Bought an expensive machine for a third of the price. Itís a Kenmore Elite.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Not my thing
Old 10-17-2020, 03:44 PM

I learned to sew as a kid. I have a portable machine that I don't think works very well, but maybe just needs adjusting. I haven't had it out of its case in many, many years.

I used to be able to follow a pattern, but I have no idea what would happen if I tried now.

One of my sisters is an expert quilter. I'm not even tempted, except to look.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

No
Old 10-17-2020, 04:01 PM

Glad to hear that you accomplished your sewing project.
For my 16th birthday I wanted to do 2 things - learn how to change a tire and to sew a dress. I remember using a Simplicity pattern and picked a pattern with no zippers. I used my momís sewing machine and finished it in 2 weeks. I donít own a sewing machine now. If I ever buy a machine, I will need to take lessons.
And oh... I keep a tow company on my phone, if I should ever get a flat.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-17-2020, 04:06 PM

I learned to sew as a teenager. My aunt taught me. We were very close. I got back into it a few years ago, and I love it. I've been making bags lately. I splurged on a new Juki sewing machine last summer. I also have a serger and a coverstitch machine. I sew almost every day. I make most of my clothes, clothes for my grandson, and lately purses.

annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 10-17-2020, 04:09 PM

can't do patterns (even though i've made a few things--in classes and with my mom)

i've sewn over 100 masks

i make napkins and bibs and have hemmed a few skirts and dresses.

and i can sew a mean button! (i understand some people don't know how to do that...)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 PM

I go in spurts. I come from sewing family. I had my grandma's old machine for years and replaced it with a cheap box store machine that worked well for years. One year when my dh was bent on spending every penny we ever made on "fun" toys for him, I guilted him into buying me a nice machine for my birthday. I do like it very much but don't sew as much as when my kids were young. I do use it though, and know that I will use it more when I retire.

I spent a lot of time quilting and will get back to that when I have more time. I actually have a tshirt quilt ready to go now- but fabric shopping is not fun right now. I can wait until after covid. I wanted to make some new curtains for my sewing room but was not able to get the sea turtle fabric I wanted.

I can do most things. Maybe not perfect, but well enough to pass.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Sewing
Old 10-17-2020, 04:20 PM

I guess I'm an enthusiast. I taught high school home economics (now Family & Consumer Sciences). I require patterns. I marvel at the people on the design shows who can just start cutting fabric and make something beautiful. My sewing machine (Pfaff 1475) makes me happy. I bought it in 1993 even though I still think of it as new. It is way more machine than I need.

There are features which I love: 1) It stops with the needle and take-up lever at the highest position unless... 2) You push a button and it will stop in the needle down position. 3) I like that I can wind the bobbin without unthreading the top thread from the machine.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by KeyKid; 10-17-2020 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: I've also had a serger for years and treated myself to a new Babylock 3 years ago.
KeyKid is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 10-17-2020, 04:34 PM

I am reasonably skilled, but lazy!

I used to make all my clothes in high school and college. That was back when that was the economical thing to do...in the 1960s and 70s.

I made all my daughters’ prom and formal dresses. Made quite a few costumes for school plays. Made ddil’s wedding dress, and bridesmaids’ dresses for two weddings.

I now prefer styles with no zippers or buttons...so lazy!

I like making curtains and pillows for decor.

I can use patterns, but can do some simple styles without one.

I still use my mom’s Singer Featherweight that she got second hand when she was in college back in 1940, although I do have a newer machine in case I need to do zigzag stitching.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 10-17-2020, 04:43 PM

I used to sew a lot of my clothes when I was younger but I don't want to remember how to do that. Now, I say that I know how to sew straight seams but nothing much past that. I have a Brother sewing machine and have made several masks but that's about all I use it for.

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I can
Old 10-17-2020, 04:44 PM

sew many things. I used to sew much more than I do now. I also made clothes in high school and college. I also made maternity clothes when I was pregnant since there wasn't the same kind of selection like there is now. I used to make all of my kids Halloween costumes - they usually involved some sewing. I have made lots and lots of curtains and pillows - so many of both!! I have an old Singer that I received as a Christmas gift in 1983 and I still use it. I was so happy to receive it because it was an early model with a free arm. It's gotten so much use over the years. I have used many patterns as well.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Can't Sew
Old 10-17-2020, 04:46 PM

I don't know how to sew at all. No sewing machine here. I'd like to learn, though!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 10-17-2020, 04:52 PM

I bought my sewing machine used in 1970 with my very first tax return. I took in sewing for a while, and did alterations for a small store. But Iíve done very little sewing in the last twenty years while teaching full time. Maybe when I retire. The machine still works just fine.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-17-2020, 04:56 PM

I love to sew! I learned in 4-H when I was about in 7th grade. My friend’s stepmother and my aunt were my first teachers for sewing. I sewed a lot of my own clothes in HS and some on college. My first machine was a vintage machine— not quite a peddle one, but not far from it . I got a Sears Kenmore as a college graduation gift. I continued to sew a lot of my own clothes as a beginning teacher. About 20 years ago I upgraded to a Viking sewing machine. Within the past 10 years or so I have purchased a Viking/Husqvarna Serger (in which I can do cover stitches with) and then several years ago I got a Husqvarna Topaz50 embroidery/sewing machine. I upgraded that this last January to a Designer Brillance 80 embroidery/sewing machine (also a Husqvarna). I am totally amazed at what that machine can do! I rarely sew clothes anymore. I do quilting projects and a bit of in the hoop embroidery. Since the pandemic I have really learned a lot about my machine.

I have three machines set up at all times in my sewing studio— original Viking, serger, and embroidery machine. It is my happy place.

I need patterns to sew or very detailed instructions. I am not very creative to be able to come up with my own original ideas.

Last year I started doing craft shows selling some of my things, I really enjoyed it— sold a lot, didn’t make a ton of profit, but I found it fun to interact with people. Hopefully, I will be able to resume that in the future.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

sewing project
Old 10-17-2020, 05:03 PM

Congratulations on finishing your first sewing project!

I am fairly accomplished and used to make most of my kids' clothes and still occasionally make something for myself. My last project was making masks for
health care workers when there was a huge shortage early in the pandemic. There was a special group in my city that asked for volunteers who could sew lots of masks. They gave us all the materials needed (donated by local fabric stores), and would deliver the masks to nursing homes and other facilities.

I am still on my first sewing machine: a trusty 50 year-old solid (and heavy) Sears Kenmore that my parents bought me. I have it serviced every few years, and it still works perfectly.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Good for you!
Old 10-17-2020, 05:15 PM

Congrats on your project! I made curtains for my bedroom in 7th grade. Straight seams only.

I didn't sew again until my mid-20s. My first project ended up wadded in a ball in the closet. It did not go well. Then I sewed some baby things for nephews and niece, on my Mom's old machine.

I decided to take up quilting, and bought a White heavy duty machine, which I still use (bought in 1990 or 91?). I have made several quilts, but not in a while. I made some clothes for me. I made baby supplies, curtains, home decor. Many very cute Halloween costumes for niece and nephew, and then for our kids.

I have fairly recently made aprons and pajama bottoms. I made full-length curtains with blackout linings for our living room and DD's apartment.

I would like to sew more, but don't think about it/don't have enough time right now.
suzyteach is online now   Reply With Quote

jeffie

Old 10-17-2020, 05:20 PM

Yes, I sew. Made many clothes in HS, my wedding dress(almost 50 yrs. ago), sewed most my DS(he's 43)clothes, my 2 DD(37,38) but now masks and a few things. My mother sewed a lot, she let me buy any material and pattern I wanted as long as I finished that outfit before getting something new. I really didn't like 4-H sewing because I knew shortcuts. In Home Ec. my teacher had each student make something harder than they had done before, so I made my wool Pep Club jacket, lined and with bound buttonholes. Only thing I didn't like was having to put everything away at the end of the period-at home I could sew into the night if I wanted to finish. I have my mother's machine but still use my used Kenmore.
jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-17-2020, 05:28 PM

I can sew, but no longer do.

My grandmother was a brilliant seamstress and taught me on her old (and I mean old in 1960) black Singer. I inherited that machine and sewed a lot of my own clothes in HS (collars, cuffs, zippers, pleats, pockets, buttonholes, lining, padding) because back then it was cheaper to sew clothes than buy them. My grandmother didnít need patterns, but I wasnít in her league and always relied on them.

I sewed for my kids when they were little: boy shorts, girl dresses, costumes.

But I hated the mess. Perhaps if Iíd had a dedicated room for sewing where I could leave everything out (like the ironing board), I would have kept on.

When I downsized 2.5 years ago, I gave away the old black Singer (that still worked just fine).
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-17-2020, 05:45 PM

I do have a separate sewing room, and it does make a huge difference to be able to leave stuff out. I would hate to have to put it all away every time.

Chocchip

Old 10-17-2020, 05:53 PM

I used to make my own skirts when I first started teaching. Then it went to fixing clothes to leaving my sewing machine when we moved to our new house in April.
Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-17-2020, 06:05 PM

Oh my goodness, what a coincidence that you asked this now. My mother sewed up Aikmanís very favorite bed for him while she was here.

I can sew, but I donít. I took Home Ec on middle school and did decently well with the sewing portion. I even made my grandfather a pillow. Iím not even sure where my needle and thread are right now.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 10-17-2020, 06:28 PM

I am of an age that we girls were required to take Home Economics in high school. I learned to sew in that class. I must have a pattern if I am making a piece of clothing as I've never learned how to design my own clothing. When my children were small, I made a lot of their clothing. I even made doll dresses to match my daughter's dresses! I've made several quilts. I've lost count of how many masks I've made in the past few months. Those I have made without a pattern.

I still have the Kenmore that my mom bought for me when I first got married. I was shocked when I went into a Joann's Fabrics and saw the cost of a yard of material! When did that happen?

I'm glad that I know my way around a machine to be able to repair clothing, But with the cost of material, I doubt I'll ever make another outfit from scratch.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 10-17-2020, 06:36 PM

Congrats on your first sewing project, Anna. Yay!

I have been sewing since I was 7 years old. My mom helped me make my first, very simple dress. I made my own clothes in MS, HS, and college, including proms, formals, and I used a 3 piece suit as my final exam in an art class in college. I have made baby items, curtains, pillows, childrens' clothes, adult clothes, and done alterations. I have made 100s of masks. My favorite now is quilting.

As for machines, my parents gave me a singer for college graduation which I still have but don't use. I have 3 machines that I use - an embroidery machine, a serger, and a sewing machine which is my primary quilting machine.

I have used all kinds of setups for sewing through the years - including closets. . Now I have a separate sewing room which is designed to make my hobby enjoyable. HappY times!!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-17-2020, 07:12 PM

I learned to sew as a child through the 4-H program. Iím what Iíd call a moderate seamstress. I donít make anything really complex, and I tend to do mostly craft type items. I do know how to do a lot of clothing alterations. Thatís a really handy skill to have.

I learned to sew on a 60ís era Singer. I have owned two Singer machines, and I also have a treadle Singer that was my grandmotherís.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-17-2020, 07:17 PM

I’m hoping to become a sewing enthusiast. I have a list of things I want to make and am about to order two books on making the cutest stuffed animals. I’ve always played around with sewing and now that I’m retired I can learn the right way to do things.

I have 4 sewing machines-
- my first Singer from 1986
- a new Babylock that can do a little bit of everything
-my grandmothers Singer 15-91 that she bought on Jan 25, 1957 for $164.00
- a Singer Featherweight from the 50’s

I’m hoping to get a toy Singer called a Sew Handy and a white Featherweight from 1964, my birth year.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Sewing
Old 10-17-2020, 09:21 PM

My mother sewed beautifully. I never learned. I can do all kinds of needlework... crewel, needlepoint, etc. and also complicated knitting. My mother tried to convince me to take her sewing machine. She thought I would be able to sew and should but I never did. I always told her that we were a team, each with different talents.
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Iím an excellent seamstress
Old 10-17-2020, 11:42 PM

But, like amiga, I donít see anymore. I made my wedding dress and all of the bridesmaidsí dresses. Of course, this was 45 yrs ago when expectations were lower. But when people found out I did that, they started asking me to sew for their weddings or other special occasions. I didnít enjoy spending all my time seeing, so I got rid of my sewing machine.I havenít seen anything since SILís wedding 30 yrs ago (except an Easter dress for my grand daughter 10 yrs ago, which I borrowed a machine for).
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 10-18-2020, 02:17 AM

I would call myself a moderately skilled sewist. Both my mom and grandmother sewed and I did a fair bit of hand sewing as a kid. I got back into it as an adult and got a sewing machine (just a basic Singer) about 4 years ago.

I don't make anything too complex - baby stuff like bibs, pillow covers and other home decor stuff. I do sew some dresses for my daughter but only the simplest patterns. I am starting to get the hang of grading patterns and have been making us all custom fitted masks.

My goal is to sew my fall bunting during one of the baby's naps today. DD often "suggests" that we go down to the sewing room because she gets to watch paw patrol while I sew!
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Have sewed for a job
Old 10-18-2020, 05:01 AM

I started when I was in the primary grades doing hand-sewn Barbie outfits for my sister's Barbies.

My first lesson on a machine was with Mom. She made me rip a seam before letting me touch the machine.

I was very aggravated by my 7th grade Home Ec teacher who I had to fight to get to do an outfit with sleeves and zippers (cute top and shorts).

I worked professionally as a seamstress, including being an alterationist at an upscale boutique and bridal store, and also did theater costumes. I use patterns and can make my own.

Of course there were the years of Christmas, Easter, and first day of school outfits for my daughter. We also had lots of fun with Halloween costumes.

With teaching being so all-consuming, I don't sew much for fun. I did make a period-correct, even down to the undergarments, costume to be Mercy Otis Warren (American Revolution). I do minor alterations for DH and me.

I really wish I could get a new machine right now. I grew up using Mom's all-metal Pfaff. Now I have her old Brother. I miss the Pfaff. I could even sew leather on it. The Brother is finicky. I think it's from the 90's.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

It seems I have been sewing my entire life.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:11 AM

I remember my grandmother and mom taught me to thread a needle and used to give me scraps to handsew into doll clothes.

I took the obligatory home ec class in junior high. After that, I made a lot of my own clothes. After my first semester in college, my dad bought me a sewing machine for making the dean's list. I am still using that machine, 52 years later. It is a Singer. I have used some of the newer plastic electronic machines, but really hate them.

I made about 90% of my clothes in college. During my hippie phase, I was all about embroidering my jeans and sewing denim and patchwork clothing out of whatever, etc. When I was a weaver, I would weave the fabric, then sew it up into shirts, vests, skirts, etc., usually without a pattern.

These days, I am mostly making quilts. Love sewing, ironing, cutting, planning. Very Zen activity, which I definitely need right now.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-18-2020, 07:13 AM

I know how to sew. I havenít done much because my machine is junk. The tension is all sorts of screwed up and I canít get it fixed. My district was giving away their old machines and I got 2. They are big, school machines from the 80ís. They are in the basement. I havenít gathered the nerve to try to figure them out.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Well,
Old 10-18-2020, 07:32 AM

I can sew and I do sew when needed, but I can't say it is a hobby that I enjoy.
My mom was excellent at sewing. No matter how hard I tried my seams were never as straight as hers, my work never came out nearly as well. I just never got the perfect results she did.
So, when I need something like slipcovers, drapes, pillows, CoVid masks I take out the sewing machine and sew, but it is never perfect so I never get the joy of sewing.

My mom made my wedding dress and all the bridesmaid's dresses. She wanted to make them because when I was in the store trying on wedding dresses she noticed that none of them had "finished off the seams" correctly. Yes, her work was that good.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 AM

I've enjoyed reading everyone's sewing adventures. I first bought a Janome for my DD a few months ago and kept it a few weeks to try it out. It was too advanced for me and a bit overwhelming. I recently bought a Baby Lock Jubilant. The simplicity of it allowed me to start sewing right away I made a few curtain panels for my laundry room by watching a great beginners sewing channel on YouTube. Quilting appeals to me as well.

Janylynne

Great thread! (Ha-ha)
Old 10-18-2020, 08:23 AM

I have an Elizabeth Babylok and love it. I canít sewóI donít understand how patterns work, though Iíve tried a few (Failed) projects. I donít have that spatial sense; I just canít visualize it.

My mother and older sister sew beautifully. My sister can make things without patterns. (She is a whiz at math and a great math teacher.)

I like to quilt, although I havenít done much of that lately. I did make a quilt top from cast-off scraps due the shelter in place, but havenít completed the project. I donít have a good space to cut fabric. Plus, itís hard on my back.

I do like to crochetómy mother is an expert knitter and my sister can do both perfectly.

My late Aunt Betty was the best knitter ever. I framed a few of the argyle socks she made for my late uncle years ago. The stitches are so tiny! I have some of her yarn and will be using it for projects.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Can't "Do" but can RE-DO!
Old 10-18-2020, 09:37 AM

. I sew, and I love it but cannot (will not?) follow a real pattern to save my life.

I haven't made any thing following a real pattern in over 30 years... But I frequently buy clothes cheaply at garage sales and thrift stores and remake them. I go for the look of the colors or feel of the fabric and that sort of thing.

It all started because I am tall and could hardly find shirts long enough. This was before the tunic style that is popular now took off. I would buy cute dresses and remake them to look like long blouses.

Then I got heavy and needed clothes both long and big. I distinguished "a REAL pattern" above because I have sometimes used clothing I already own (either already modified by me or bought that way) to make my own patterns to use on future projects.

I am not great at it, but am okay and most don't realize the items are "homemade" or altered. I really like the videos of those who do this full time.

I also use/reuse a lot of blankets, curtains, sheets to make other stuff as well.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-18-2020, 09:58 AM

I found it! This is just like my grandmotherís machine and then mine. I can still tell you what every bit does. It was in beautiful shape, better than this one, when I gave it away. (I realize it had value, but downsizing was all-consuming, I couldnít start selling, too.)
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-18-2020, 10:21 AM

Man, those featherweights are worth some money! I wish I had one!

anna

Old 10-18-2020, 02:03 PM

That is a beautiful looking sewing machine. My sister was just trying one out at a crafting meeting a few weeks ago and loved it.

Thanks again for sharing everyone