Help

The VENT

Would this annoy you?

>

mommy9298

Would this annoy you?
Old 10-20-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district uses an online planbook. We can share our plans with support staff who come into our class. We can also share our planbook with anyone we choose. A teacher who was in my building the last few years was moved into the same grade as me a few weeks ago. She’s in a different school. She has been asking for help since this is a new grade for her. She requested to see my plans to get an idea how the plans should look, so I shared my planbook. I viewed her plans today and she is copying and pasting my plans into her planbook since she started the grade three weeks ago. Exactly, word for word. I don’t mind sharing, but I was not happy. It takes quite some time to complete the weekly planbook. I deleted her from my sharing list. I am annoyed. I know I probably shouldn’t be, but I am.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 10-20-2020, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would be annoyed, too. (Now, if somebody asked me 1st, I'd probably say yes. And, be flattered that they liked my plans so much, lol.)
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-20-2020, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry that bothered you.
Just another perspective......my team plans together for the week, then one of us types up a daily lesson plan that we all use. Since we are on Distance Learning, we were told to try to be 'on the same page' as much as possible. Maybe your colleague just needs extra support for awhile as she gets used to a new grade. But they are your plans, so you have the right to do as you please!
2teach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-20-2020, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you able to use a watermark on your pages? I would definitely not share with her any longer. She should be working with her school colleagues now.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would be annoyed! I would have deleted her, too. It would feel different if she asked for your help and if she could use your plans as she got her feet under her. Is there any way she might have thought she was asking to use your plans and she thought you gave her permission to do so?

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Annoyed?
Old 10-21-2020, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh heck no! I'd be pissed!

I have no problem helping someone in need, but if someone was taking advantage of me like that, I'd totally be pissed.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MyLifeClass

It would and it has
Old 10-21-2020, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

And what I started to do was plaster my name all through my plans. “ “Students Will meet with Ms. __ to __.” “When completed, students will turn in their work to Ms. __ and then Ms. __ will...” I did it throughout the plans. They copied and pasted into their plans and never even changed the name or took that part out. Eventually they stopped copying/pasting my plans cause I’m sure someone said something to them.

I spent way too much time planning and putting in my plans to have someone make no effort to do their own or even help me with the plans and the. Just copy/paste just so they have something to turn in.
MyLifeClass is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Annoyed
Old 10-21-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, I would be totally annoyed. Especially because she is in a different school so no one is any the wiser about her plans. I, too, would have felt different if she asked to see them, maybe use them for a week or two, til she got her own lesson planning up and running.

But to literally steal them and present them as her own borders on plagiarism.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 10-21-2020, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is plagiarism and dishonest. She’s shown who she is.

Shake it off and have a good day!

KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-22-2020, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, it would bother me and I would have done the same as you did. Do not feel guilty deleting her access to your work. Think of it this way, you helped her out for a few weeks, now she has to stand on her own. I would be very hesitant to provide any more assistance or advice to this person. I like to help and will go out of my way to do so, but once I'm taken advantage of by someone I tend to not be so willing to help them again. This person took advantage in my opinion. She asked to see them not copy them.

Congratulations on having plans someone wanted to copy !

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

She asked to see them so she'd have an idea what plans look like for that grade level. By now, she knows. It's time to cut her loose so she can make her own. You've provided enough support - remove the scaffold!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Plans take so long to put together each week. Taking your plans as her own would have bothered me, and she should be set after three weeks. I remember water marking projects that I created so they couldn’t be “borrowed” any more.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I think you did fine...
Old 10-23-2020, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You were within your rights to delete her access, but think about how much this situation sucks for experienced teachers. I'm not sure I would throw a hissy fit over a new teacher (or new to a grade level) using my plans. I might have messaged her first and given her a two-week warning or something.

Haley23

Old 10-24-2020, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would have done the same thing you did. It would be one thing if she had been honest about her intentions for using your plans. Given the outright chaos that it is this year, I may have taken pity on a new teacher and told her she could use mine for a set number of weeks (like 2-3) while she gets her feet wet. But, she lied and said she only wanted to look at them to see what they should look like. That's definitely not okay.

And even if I did agree to help her out, no way would I just continue to let her have/use my exact plans all year long. Not to mention, every class has different needs. She needs to learn how to plan for her own class and use the data she's collecting to drive instruction. Even in a crazy year it makes no sense to just copy another teacher's plans.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote