Help

The VENT

Going F2F full time

>

Singvogel

Going F2F full time
Old 10-22-2020, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school board voted to move from hybrid to full time F2F.

Needless to say, our teachers are very stressed, including me. There are so many questions. Among them- Do parents really understand that it is mathematically impossible to keep six feet between an average of 30 students in a class? Do parents realize that our windows don't open? How raw are little hands going to get if we keep up with the wash or sanitize every hour? How are we going to fit in all the lunches? Where are they going to eat? How are primary teachers going to teach without small groups? So many more...

They also are holding a hard line on any families that want to switch back to virtual. They've just set up a waiting list.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My DH went back five day f2f this week. They still have a virtual option, though.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-22-2020, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The district I live in is virtual and just got approval to return on a hybrid schedule. The parents were up in arms because surrounding districts were back at school and the stats show minimal COVID19 cases. This week is national black out and students are not suppose to sign onto school. I know my district did not show up for Monday/Tuesday this week. I don't know how many students actually did this but many did. I am on the FB page and see so many parents wanting their children back in school F2F f/t. I think parents are going to be surprised to find out that there won't be the socializing and interaction that they are thinking school will give. Their children probably have more socialization out of school.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MissouriECSE

been back since August
Old 10-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have been back since August.
We have only had teachers get sick. When someone in a classroom tests positive, they close the entire classroom and anyone who has been in contract with them.

Surprisingly, we have had very few cases.
MissouriECSE is offline   Reply With Quote

bonita47

Old 10-22-2020, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think the issue is parents have to work and many employers are not understanding about childcare issues. I don’t think it has as much to do about socialization.
Many of my students parents work in nursing homes, grocery stores, Amazon warehouse etc. If they don’t show up to work, they get fired. Their boss doesn’t care that their kid had virtual school. My husband works in an office and is able to work from home. However, his employer monitors his key strokes and if he or his go workers are away from the computer for too long they get in trouble and their pay is docked. This makes it near impossible to care for a young child. I can see why parents want kids back in school. The only way I can see virtual school working long term is if the government makes it illegal for employers to fire or discipline employees for missing work due to virtual school. Employers also would need to be required to continue paying employees who need to miss work. Of course, we would have to accept that we might not get our Amazon packages on time, long lines at grocery etc. due to lack of employees. Many of the kiddos in my district were at daycare on the days they had virtual school so it kind of defeated purpose of schools being closed. I’m sympathetic to the parents.

bonita47 is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

We are
Old 10-22-2020, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A fairly small district with about 1,000 in 7-12. In our whole district weve only had 5 cases, I including elementary-staff. We have about a third out doing virtual learning.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 10-22-2020, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have been f2f since August 7th with not 1 scare at all!
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Where?
Old 10-22-2020, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Im curious to know where in the country each example is located.

We have been fully online and a very small number of student cohorts (special needs, certain HS classes such as firefighting) are just now returning for hybrid. Northern VA.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jojobean82

I want them back but....
Old 10-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We start hybrid next month and have had special needs (self contained) and ELL Students coming to school. We also have been bringing in small groups (no more than a handful of kids extra a day). I am in an urban district and currently one of our elementary schools is closed, our main office is closed, and several in building coworkers are quarantined. This is after one of the high schools had been closed prior.

I do want them back in person. Virtual just isnt working for some kiddos (especially the young ones) however, I am fearful of what could be the result of more kids in the building. If we had kids full time right now we would have difficulty finding subs for in person classes and we cant mix classes because of social distancing. So those staff members quarantined classes would have no teacher.
Jojobean82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Im in a small rural district in Michigan. Weve been f2f since Aug. 31. Families were offered virtual. My school of 160ish students had about 17 virtual. Weve since gained some of those back f2f but lost a couple to virtual when students were mandated to wear masks all day.

We have had a couple of students quarantine but no classes. We have our protocols in place. Our students have adjusted well. Harder on adults that kids, really.

Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote