Help

BusyBoard

Switching classrooms? Grades?

>

charmed12

Switching classrooms? Grades?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I’ve been noticing a lot on Instagram about how teachers keep talking about having to move rooms and/or switching grade levels. Is this how the public school system is? I’ve only taught in charter schools and I’ve been blessed with all of the schools being wonderful ones (one is a CA distinguished school too). So just wondering if/when I make a move to public, is that something that’s the norm? Seems pretty sucky to have to switch grades at a whim. And doesn’t motivate me to want to make that move to public school districts anytime soon.

Last edited by charmed12; 05-23-2019 at 07:47 PM..
charmed12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Switching
Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suspect it depends upon the district. I worked in a coastal California district and switching was done with lots of discussion. None of this suddenly youíre teaching a new grade level next year business.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Totally depends on the school/district and admin. In a previous school, P would move people on purpose to "shake things up" or "punish" people she didn't like.

I've worked at my current school under two different admins and neither of them ever moved people involuntarily. Sometimes people would ask to move. A couple of years ago, there was going to be an entire grade level team of new people and P asked if anyone wanted to volunteer to move there so there would be a veteran on the team. Someone wanted to, so she ended up moving. We're in the same situation for next school year, but no one wanted to move and she didn't force anyone to.

In addition, some districts with stronger unions will actually have it written into contracts that teachers can't be moved to another assignment at random.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 05-24-2019, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it depends on your school district.

Switching grades and even rooms is rare in my district. People only move when there is a reduction in force, or a position opens that they would like.

Rooms are moved only when you change grade levels (see above).

This year our 2nd grade and 4th grade teachers are switching rooms. The current 4th grade rooms are small and better suited for 2nd grade where classes are smaller and bodies are too!
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Switching Grades
Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, it's pretty common and it's awful. They have to move people in some instances because the numbers change. In my school, the current P didn't tell everyone until the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL (yesterday) what grade they were teaching next year. That's insane and very unprofessional. She wanted to move some teachers to tested grades (who were good at tests) and others to lower grades. Didn't take into consideration seniority or anything. Definitely hurts morale. I've lost all respect for my P.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-24-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It depends on the school's needs and admin. I've been at my current school for 12 years and there was a stretch where it seemed like admin enjoyed playing musical rooms with people just for the heck of it. Like I flat out moved rooms several years running.
I've been in the same room and grade for the last three years and would have stayed in the same room/grade level if I was remaining at the school.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 05-24-2019, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Depends on your administration. Sometimes moves have to be made because teachers leave, or enrollment changes. Change can be good. I've never worked for a principal who arbitrarily moved people. There was always a good reason behind it.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-24-2019, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here, it is a school admin decision and not a district one. My P doesn't move teachers/staff unless all affected parties request it.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At the high school level, they don't move rooms very often, and they usually don't switch subjects. Middle school sometimes switches subjects or grades, but not often. Elementary switches most often since they can teach more grade levels. We also have two elementary schools, but only one middle and one high.

I'm on year 26, and I've had three classrooms during that time. (I taught three years as a floater with NO classroom.) One move was because we moved to a new building. I had that new room for 17 years before moving to my current room.

My BFF, an elementary special education teacher, was moved around a lot. I don't think she ever stayed in a room more than two years. Now she is a high school librarian, and she says that she won't know what to do with herself without moving classrooms.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The only reason there would be grade/room movement in my elementary school is if a class was closed due to low numbers. Then the teacher with lowest seniority would lose their position and take a position in another grade or district school. No new teachers are hired in the district until all current teachers have a placement.

That said, I've been teaching in the same district for 33 years (3 schools) and every grade or school change I made were totally my choice! It's different everywhere.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

It depends...
Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Where I taught for the first 12 years of my career, the teachers were asked about grade level choices. It was a small, rural district. I remember the principal sitting us down and listing the grade level choices on a portable chalkboard. He asked us all what our first choice was. If two people wanted the same placement, he did his best, and at least we felt listened to.

I am retired now. My last principal was a micro-manager. She made decisions as she saw fit. The teachers affected had to adapt. There is a place on our summative evaluation form that we turn in where we have to say if we have ever been moved and how recent. Maybe she took that into account, maybe not. This time of year, with a few weeks before the date when they have to inform returning teachers of their placement, the rumor mill is flying.

I am very lucky that in both places, I had never been moved without my wanting it. Movement is not necessarily bad, but depending on how the news is delivered, it could be upsetting.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In my district the principal has the power to move teachers. Involuntary transfers are rare but I have seen some that were obviously punitive. Our algebra teacher was moved to first grade (she happened to have a never used multiple credential). She was a great math teacher often requested by parents and voluntarily tutored during lunch break. She was also older and high up on the salary scale. Principal expected her to retire rather than teach first. He was actively interviewing for the first grade position. She stayed and has been successful at first. Teacher with no algebra experience took her position. And math scores tanked.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Idaho4me

Frequently moved
Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

17 rooms in 22 years. At the whim of the principal. Several were the next room over! Am changing grades this year so am moving rooms again.
Idaho4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

3 grades, 3 rooms in 17 years. All moves were my choice. It really depends on the strength of your union and the culture of the district and your principal
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

sonoma
Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Ha! What a great outcome! I'm so glad the algebra teacher didn't retire and is doing great in first grade! The principal is a fool and got what he deserved. I hope he learned a lesson here, but I doubt it.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 05-24-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The district has to pay us if we are moved involuntarily per our contract so... as you can imagine they dont want to do that. We mostly stay put for the long haul.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

charmed12

Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

So interesting to see how itís so different across the board. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

It just makes no sense for admin to do it for no reason :/ gosh.
charmed12 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Charter Schools, too
Old 05-26-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I teach in a charter school. We are very small, and I've been moved repeatedly. I'm convinced it's my curse. My director knows that I can rock out Reading and Writing for any grade between 2nd and 6th. When enrollment or test scores dictate it, I move. This past year, I was only suppose to teach 5th grade then we had a situation come up where our 6th grade ELA teacher was needing to take an extended absence. So I taught 5th & 6th ELA and a new teacher was brought in to teach 5th/6th Social Studies.

Because of low numbers for 2nd next year and high numbers for 3rd, we're moving a teacher from 2nd to 3rd. Our 6th grade ELA teacher who returned after her absence, is teaching kinder next year.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote